Panache Jersey - Giro 2014 (contains spoliers)

13»

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    More points for Thomas de Gendt on S18? In the break and first to attack on the Panarotta.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    For sure. TdG has panache. Looks good on the bike too, even with a bit of a bob and pushing a ridiculous gear.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    We have a new leader! Arredondo gave it everything and probably rode further than everyone yesterday as he swerved all over the road. A lot of panache in the victory. He moves one point clear in the overall, and whilst it is unlikely that the former wearer, Andrea Fedi, will be able to hit back on the Zoncolan, there are still enough points available for sometime to steal victory from the jaws of defeat. Maybe a 167km solo break away from the in form De Gendt, or perhaps Cataldo will finally make one stick.

Quite a few riders on the stage deserved points, but there weren't that many to go around. Cataldo nipped Roland for the final one.

Other than Rolland, not much panache from the GC crowd.

Stage 18

Julian David Arredondo Moreno 5
    Thomas De Gendt 4
    Tim Wellens 2
    Dario Cataldo 1
    Philip Deignan 1
    Fabio Andres Duarte Arevalo 1
    Franco Pellizotti 1

Overall

1 Julian David Arredondo Moreno 14
    2 Andrea Fedi 13
    3 Maarten Tjallingii 9
    4 Marco Bandiera 9
    5 Dario Cataldo 8
    6 Thomas De Gendt 7
    7 Nacer Bouhanni 7
    8 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas 6
    9 Pierre Rolland 6
    10 Michael Rogers 6
    11 Peter Weening 6
    12 Tim Wellens 5
    13 Gianluca Brambilla 5
    14 Stefano Pirazzi 5
  • RonB
    Fabio hears that there are no Panache points on offer for the MTT.
    proxy.jpg?t=HBgtaHR0cDovL3N0YXRpYy5vdy5seS9waG90b3Mvb3JpZ2luYWwvNUsxYVQuanBnFLIMFIgHABYAEgA&s=C0qIKOk22l44HyRQbxY3GxcgZx8fsXL7c54TfQ0dU-8
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    RonB wrote:
    Fabio hears that there are no Panache points on offer for the MTT.
    proxy.jpg?t=HBgtaHR0cDovL3N0YXRpYy5vdy5seS9waG90b3Mvb3JpZ2luYWwvNUsxYVQuanBnFLIMFIgHABYAEgA&s=C0qIKOk22l44HyRQbxY3GxcgZx8fsXL7c54TfQ0dU-8

Bet he regrets putting so much effort in now.
  • RonB
    Panache points to Wout Poels please. Great support for Rigoberto Uran on today's stage and not forgetting ... the #sunglassesincident.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    I think retrospective panache should be added to riders who regularly get in the break, with very little chance of winning a stage.

Riders like Cataneo, who's been in almost every mountain stage break
  • TheBigBean
    RonB wrote:
    Panache points to Wout Poels please. Great support for Rigoberto Uran on today's stage and not forgetting ... the #sunglassesincident.

He did a good job for Uran no doubt, but he can't score racing panache points for the sunglasses incident, otherwise we'd have to remove points from Quintana for his pink wardrobe, and a whole can of worms would be opened.
  • TheBigBean
    I think retrospective panache should be added to riders who regularly get in the break, with very little chance of winning a stage.

Riders like Cataneo, who's been in almost every mountain stage break

That's largely how Fedi scored so many. I think Cataneo hasn't scored because the mountain breakaways have been so big - almost peleton sized.
  • TheBigBean
    A lot of action in the overall panache jersey classification with the big question being did Rogers do enough? Not many would have picked him at the start of the Giro but soloing to victory twice has put him in definition contention.

Tjallingii made a desperate attempt to get back into contention by getting into the break and sneaking victory in the TV sprint, but ultimately, he didn't have enough panache, or the legs, to score any more points.

Bongiorno joined the 61 other riders who have scored points so far. Unlucky to be man handled by a fan, but perhaps the fan was hoping he would recover, win the stage and score even more pananche points.

Back in the GC group Poels scores for single-handedly blowing the group apart, and Rolland also picks up a point for his usually lively antics.

Arredondo is still looking like the favourite with one stage to go, but plenty of riders still within range.

Stage 20

Michael Rogers 5
    Francesco Manuel Bongiorno 3
    Maarten Tjallingii 2
    Franco Pellizotti 2
    Pierre Rolland 1
    Tim Wellens 1
    Wout Poels 1

Overall

2 Andrea Fedi 13
    3 Michael Rogers 11
    4 Maarten Tjallingii 11
    5 Marco Bandiera 9
    6 Dario Cataldo 8
    7 Pierre Rolland 7
    8 Thomas De Gendt 7
    9 Nacer Bouhanni 7
    10 Tim Wellens 6
    11 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas 6
    12 Peter Weening 6
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Can I suggest that Poels deserves an extra couple of points for the excellent way he disposed of annoying flag man yesterday?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You've been overly harsh on Cataldo.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Andrea Fedi came second but, outside this thread, was only mentioned seven times on this forum in the whole Giro.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    I wasn't sure there would be enough panache on show today to award any points, but in the end, there was just about enough with Lars Bak finally entering the game. Not much else to mention on stage 21 except that Bongiorno made a bold move off the front - attacking on the Zoncolan one day and the flat the next.

Full overall listed below. Note I have included Kittel again as I can't be bothered to work out who actually finished and I'm fairly sure a number of other riders have pulled out.

So, the Giro 2014 Panache Jersey winner goes to Julian David Arredondo Moreno. He wins unrivalled fame and glory, and possibly a tweet if anyone is reading this thread, uses twitter and can be bothered.

I really need a better image from the resident photo expert, but this will do.

giro14-st18-Arredondo-wins-e1401380058568.jpg

Stage 21

Lars Ytting Bak 3
    Luka Mezgec 2
    Stefano Pirazzi 1
    Francesco Manuel Bongiorno 1
    Valerio Agnoli 1
    Carlos Quintero 1
    Svein Tuft 1

Overall

2 Andrea Fedi 13
    3 Michael Rogers 11
    4 Maarten Tjallingii 11
    5 Marco Bandiera 9
    6 Dario Cataldo 8
    7 Pierre Rolland 7
    8 Thomas De Gendt 7
    9 Nacer Bouhanni 7
    10 Stefano Pirazzi 6
    11 Tim Wellens 6
    12 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas 6
    13 Peter Weening 6
    14 Gianluca Brambilla 5
    15 Francesco Manuel Bongiorno 4
    16 Franco Pellizotti 4
    17 Philip Deignan 4
    18 Fabio Aru 4
    19 Jackson Rodriguez 4
    20 Marco Canola 4
    21 Davide Malacarne 4
    22 Diego Ulissi 4
    23 Robinson Eduardo Chalapud Gomez 4
    24 Marcel Kittel 4
    25 Lars Ytting Bak 3
    26 Ryder Hesjedal 3
    27 Albert Timmer 3
    28 Enrico Battaglin 3
    29 Domenico Pozzovivo 3
    30 Jeffry Johan Romero Corredor 3
    31 Luka Mezgec 2
    32 Fabio Andres Duarte Arevalo 2
    33 Daniele Ratto 2
    34 Jarlinson Pantano 2
    35 Paolo Longo Borghini 2
    36 Angelo Tulik 2
    37 Gert Dockx 2
    38 Ben Swift 2
    39 Bjorn Thurau 2
    40 Edoardo Zardini 2
    41 Edvald Boasson Hagen 2
    42 Elia Viviani 2
    43 Enrico Barbin 2
    44 Georg Preidler 2
    45 Michael Matthews 2
    46 Nathan Haas 2
    47 Nicola Boem 2
    48 Rodolfo Andres Torres Agudelo 2
    49 Sander Armee 2
    50 Tosh Van der Sande 2
    51 Winner Anacona Gomez 2
    52 Valerio Agnoli 1
    53 Carlos Quintero 1
    54 Svein Tuft 1
    55 Wout Poels 1
    56 Rigoberto Uran Uran 1
    57 Andre Fernando Cardoso 1
    58 Jan Polanc 1
    59 Nicolas Roche 1
    60 Maxim Belkov 1
    61 Chris Anker Sörensen 1
    62 Giorgio Cecchinel 1
    63 Kenny Dehaes 1
    64 Miguel Angel Rubiano Chavez 1
    65 Perrig Quemeneur 1
    66 Yonder Godoy 1
    67 Matteo Montaguti 1

Other Gianni Savio - Androni
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95 wrote:
    Andrea Fedi came second but, outside this thread, was only mentioned seven times on this forum in the whole Giro.

And? You've said already that you don't like the points system, and that you don't care, but despite that you are essentially make the same point again.

Andrea Fedi won the most aggressive rider classification in the Giro with 608 points. I believe that is 608 kms in breakaways which is a pretty fine effort. By way of comparison Cataldo managed 109 points. Clearly most of his were in the mountains so perhaps harder.

Arredondo won the combativity award in the Giro.

Now, I'm not saying the scoring for the panache jersey is perfect, and there are plenty of refinements I would make if I did it again, but it's not that bad.
  • TheBigBean
    sjmclean wrote:

You're not the first to say that! I think in the end he got himself into some good positions and some large breakaways, but failed to make anything stick. He also showed most panache on a stage where loads of other riders were also showing panache. Obviously, all this is rather subjective.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    TheBigBean wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

You're not the first to say that! I think in the end he got himself into some good positions and some large breakaways, but failed to make anything stick. He also showed most panache on a stage where loads of other riders were also showing panache. Obviously, all this is rather subjective.

No, absolutely ALL of it is subjective, panache doesn't exist. If it entertains a few people though, cool.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    What does “Other Gianni Savio – Androni” mean, at the bottom of your final listing?
    What did TV winner mean, in your original criteria? (I know I should have asked at the beginning - rider most shown in the cameras?)
    Have you got a definition for ‘panache’, for which you awarded “an arbitrary total of 6-11 points” each stage. (I should have asked this at the beginning too, but understand if you didn’t want to reveal your definition – you would have received too many differing opinions!)

But did you keep to this arbitrary total range for every stage, no matter how dull or how exciting? I can’t imagine you somehow did. Without me checking all your daily assigned points, some of your remarks suggest you didn’t - if you didn't, a flaw in the points scoring compared to the initial criteria?

Are you able to give a breakdown for each rider (or at least the top 10) which shows in which of your categories they acquired points.
    The answer to this question is the one which most interests me, because I’d like to think your eventual podium acquired most of their points from your panache category (irrespective of your exact definition), rather than from your other categories. After all you’re awarding a Panache jersey.

Anyway, whether you answer my questions or not, don't take them too seriously and thanks for giving an extra diversion of interest during the Giro. I enjoyed looking in each day, even I disagreed or felt puzzled by the points assigned.

Perhaps again for the Tour? - where a diversion might be more needed on some of those bridging stages.

(I still think Ruffoni deserved points for snatching that intermediate sprint and his gesture at the camera thereafter! :wink: )
  • TheBigBean
    knedlicky wrote:
    What does “Other Gianni Savio – Androni” mean, at the bottom of your final listing?

On one the stages (I forget which), Gianni Savio was quite annoyed that Androni didn't have a rider in the breakaway, so he got the whole team to chase down the break. As a result we got a highly entertaining stage, so I thought he deserved a special mention as it was DS panache.
    knedlicky wrote:
    What did TV winner mean, in your original criteria? (

TV = Traguardo Volante or Intermediate Sprint. With hindsight 2 points was too many for this, and giving something to the king of each mountain might have been good too.
    knedlicky wrote:
    Have you got a definition for ‘panache’, for which you awarded “an arbitrary total of 6-11 points” each stage.

Not really. It was meant to be entirely about racing, so riders that attacked and rode as hard as they could, rather than riders that wore the right sunglasses. Essentially like a combination of the combativity and aggressive rider award.
    knedlicky wrote:

But did you keep to this arbitrary total range for every stage, no matter how dull or how exciting?

Yes, except on the neutralised stage. With hindsight 6 - 11 points wasn't a large enough range. 6 -16 would have been better.
    knedlicky wrote:

Are you able to give a breakdown for each rider (or at least the top 10) which shows in which of your categories they acquired points.
    The answer to this question is the one which most interests me, because I’d like to think your eventual podium acquired most of their points from your panache category (irrespective of your exact definition), rather than from your other categories. After all you’re awarding a Panache jersey.

Not easily, but of the top 4 Arredondo won one stage and Rogers two, so that's 2 and 4 points for those two respectively. Not sure whether any of them picked up intermediate sprints, but I'd guess that Fedi / Tjallingii did. In fact Tjallingii won yesterday's.
    knedlicky wrote:

Perhaps again for the Tour? - where a diversion might be more needed on some of those bridging stages.

Probably not. It was more effort than I thought, and I'm likely to be quite busy around the tour. Plus I'm not really sure whether anyone was actually reading after Ruffoni failed to score any points!
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    TheBigBean wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

Probably not. It was more effort than I thought, and I'm likely to be quite busy around the tour. Plus I'm not really sure whether anyone was actually reading after Ruffoni failed to score any points!

If you wanted someone to run it, I may be able to? Not certain though.