Panache Jersey - Giro 2014 (contains spoliers)

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    After careful consideration by the jury here are the results. Brambilla has jumped into second place after his brave attack yesterday. Tjallingii maintains his lead, but must be feeling the pressure - perhaps time for another attack?

Stage 5

Gianluca Brambilla 5
    Diego Ulissi 2
    Ben Swift 2
    Tosh Van der Sande 2
    Kenny Dehaes 1

Overall

Maarten Tjallingii 9
    Gianluca Brambilla 5
    Andrea Fedi 4
    Nacer Bouhanni 3
    Sander Armee 2
    Jeffry Johan Romero Corredor 2
    Elia Viviani 2
    Diego Ulissi 2
    Ben Swift 2
    Tosh Van der Sande 2
    Yonder Godoy 1
    Miguel Angel Rubiano Chavez 1
    Gert Dockx 1
    Giorgio Cecchinel 1
    Kenny Dehaes 1
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng · 56m
    The @ArcticRaceofN announces fans will get to choose who wears the "Viking Jersey" (combativity prize) by social media
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    panache is the french term for losing conspicuously
    That must mean Bouhanni gets points for losing today's intermediate sprint (for 5th place behind the break) by dozing off when in front.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Too soon.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    No marks for Matthews?

Tough crowd.

Has got the running man down to a T though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igaCXsPzaC0
  • TheBigBean
    No marks for Matthews?

Tough crowd.

I don't think he did anything in stages 2-5, or are you being impatient?
  • TheBigBean
    Whilst some spectators were yawning, Andrea Fedi was putting in a big move for the panache jersey. Another long breakaway racking up points for the brave, and meaning that Tjallingii is clinging on by only one point to the lead.

Otherwise, the last 10 km was a bit of a panache minefield. Only Matthews has scored for his win.

Stage 6

Andrea Fedi 4
    Marco Bandiera 2
    Edoardo Zardini 2
    Rodolfo Andres Torres Agudelo 2
    Michael Matthews 2

Overall

Maarten Tjallingii 9
    Andrea Fedi 8
    Gianluca Brambilla 5
    Nacer Bouhanni 3
    Marco Bandiera 2
    Edoardo Zardini 2
    Rodolfo Andres Torres Agudelo 2
    Michael Matthews 2
    Sander Armee 2
    Jeffry Johan Romero Corredor 2
    Elia Viviani 2
    Diego Ulissi 2
    Ben Swift 2
    Tosh Van der Sande 2
    Yonder Godoy 1
    Miguel Angel Rubiano Chavez 1
    Gert Dockx 1
    Giorgio Cecchinel 1
    Kenny Dehaes 1
  • TheBigBean
    Stage 7 looked promising for some high panache scores, but ultimately, after a very long break, things fell apart a bit.

Stage 8 was full full of panache and dividing up the 11 points between the main players was a bit tricky. Arredondo jumps to equal third place. Tjallingii continues to cling on.

Stage 7

Robinson Eduardo Chalapud Gomez 4
    Nacer Bouhanni 2
    Nicola Boem 2
    Nathan Haas 2
    Bjorn Thurau 2
    Winner Anacona Gomez 2

Stage 8

Julian David Arredondo Moreno 5
    Pierre Rolland 3
    Diego Ulissi 2
    Edvald Boasson Hagen 2
    Stefano Pirazzi 2
    Perrig Quemeneur 1

Overall - Top 8

1 Maarten Tjallingii 9
    2 Andrea Fedi 8
    3 Julian David Arredondo Moreno 5
    4 Nacer Bouhanni 5
    5 Gianluca Brambilla 5
    6 Diego Ulissi 4
    7 Robinson Eduardo Chalapud Gomez 4
    8 Pierre Rolland 3
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    panache is the frenchie term for losing conspicuously
    That must mean Bouhanni gets points for losing today's intermediate sprint (for 5th place behind the break) by dozing off when in front.
    I didn't really mean the above about Bouhanni, was just following on the Richn95's idea.

However I do feel the rider who beat Bouhanni in that sprint should get points - Nicola Ruffoni. He even made a typical Italian panache-type gesture to the motorbike camera shortly after having cheekily surprised Bouhanni.
  • TheBigBean
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    panache is the frenchie term for losing conspicuously
    I didn't really mean the above about Bouhanni, was just following on the Richn95's idea.

However I do feel the rider who beat Bouhanni in that sprint should get points - Nicola Ruffoni. He even made a typical Italian panache-type gesture to the motorbike camera shortly after having cheekily surprised Bouhanni.

Point taken, but still, there's not much panache in winning the race for 5th in an intermediate sprint. Now if I'd done that 10 years ago, I would still be talking about it, but this is a jersey for the highly accomplished pros!
  • knedlicky
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Point taken, but still, there's not much panache in winning the race for 5th in an intermediate sprint. Now if I'd done that 10 years ago, I would still be talking about it, but this is a jersey for the highly accomplished pros!
    “winning the race for 5th” is a rather flattish expression; R calculatingly snuck 5th with an out-of-the-blue dash from way back on B’s blind side.

Your phrase “highly accomplished pros“ may come to haunt you!
  • TheBigBean
    The first successful breakaway of the Giro, and Weening jumps into third on the overall. Some nice cat and mouse tactics in the sprint and gracious in victory (not point scoring activities, but nice nonetheless).

Interestingly (maybe only to me), I now have 33 panache scoring riders, so it is getting spread around quite a bit.

Tjallingii still holds on to the overall, but has anyone seen him in the last week?

Stage 9

Peter Weening 6
    Davide Malacarne 4
    Domenico Pozzovivo 2
    Marco Bandiera 2

Overall

1 Maarten Tjallingii 9
    2 Andrea Fedi 8
    3 Peter Weening 6
    4 Julian David Arredondo Moreno 5
    5 Nacer Bouhanni 5
    6 Gianluca Brambilla 5
    7 Diego Ulissi 4
    8 Robinson Eduardo Chalapud Gomez 4
    9 Davide Malacarne 4
  • TheBigBean
    We have a new leader! After another long long panache filled breakway, Andrea Fedi storms into the lead.

Bandiera won the TV sprint, but his decision to give up when still having a lead of 45s was a sign of common sense not panache. Therefore, he scored more lowly in highly arbitrary points category.

Three wins for Bouhanni bring him into joint third overall. A good Giro for him.

Stage 10

Marco Bandiera 5
    Andrea Fedi 5
    Nacer Bouhanni 2

Overall

1 Andrea Fedi 13
    2 Maarten Tjallingii 9
    3 Marco Bandiera 7
    4 Nacer Bouhanni 7
    5 Peter Weening 6
    6 Julian David Arredondo Moreno 5
    7 Gianluca Brambilla 5
    8 Diego Ulissi 4
    9 Robinson Eduardo Chalapud Gomez 4
    10 Davide Malacarne 4
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Nomination for Chris Anker Sørensen please. He was in a right state after an early crash on today's stage.
  • TheBigBean
    RonB wrote:
    Nomination for Chris Anker Sørensen please. He was in a right state after an early crash on today's stage.

Did he do something afterwards, or did he just break himself with panache?
  • RonB
    Understated pain and suffering hence so few camera close-ups. DS Lars said at the time "He's dedicated to continue and fight on".

Edit - just checking other posts I had better add Adriano Malori from Movistar as well.
    Nathan Haas ‏@NathanPeterHaas · 1m
    I don't know if I've ever been in a harder race? 253kms literally no letting up. Respect to @mickrogers

BoLGi8YCUAA36yj.jpg
    I assume this from today
  • RonB
    Another plug from me for S11 - this time for Georg Preidler from Team Giant-Shimano, who would not let go on the ascent up Naso di Gatto as he chased, well, followed Arredondo as he tracked down the KOM points.
  • TheBigBean
    Stage 11 was one of the best stages so far, but it was a bit tricky to carve up the panache points. A lot of action took place off camera. The question is who really made the race? I think the answer is Gianni Savio and Androni, so he gets a special ribbon or whatever.

I'm a bit sceptical whether hoovering up mountain points is a panache filled activity. Nonetheless, Arredondo has moved up the overall leader board after his attacks.

Stage 11

Gianni Savio / Androni - special panache ribbon
    Michael Rogers 6
    Julian David Arredondo Moreno 3
    Enrico Barbin 2
    Georg Preidler 2
    Franco Pellizotti 1
    Chris Anker Sörensen 1

Overall

1 Andrea Fedi 13
    2 Maarten Tjallingii 9
    3 Julian David Arredondo Moreno 8
    4 Marco Bandiera 7
    5 Nacer Bouhanni 7
    6 Michael Rogers 6
    7 Peter Weening 6
    8 Gianluca Brambilla 5
    9 Diego Ulissi 4
    10 Robinson Eduardo Chalapud Gomez 4
    11 Davide Malacarne 4
  • TheBigBean
    I've been a bit snowed under, so only a quick update. I've probably missed a load of panache on show as there was quite a lot going around.

A lot of panache on show means a lot of point sharing so Fedi looks comfortable in the lead for now.

Marco Bandiera moves up the overall after I corrected the spreadsheet.

55 riders scored points so far.

Stage 13

Jackson Rodriguez 4
    Marco Canola 4
    Angelo Tulik 2
    Gert Dockx 1
    Jeffry Johan Romero Corredor 1
    Maxim Belkov 1

Stage 14

Albert Timmer 3
    Enrico Battaglin 3
    Dario Cataldo 2
    Jarlinson Pantano 2
    Paolo Longo Borghini 2
    Domenico Pozzovivo 1
    Jan Polanc 1
    Nicolas Roche 1

Stage 15

Fabio Aru 4
    Philip Deignan 3
    Daniele Ratto 2
    Julian David Arredondo Moreno 1
    Pierre Rolland 1
    Fabio Andres Duarte Arevalo 1
    Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas 1
    Rigoberto Uran Uran 1
    Andre Fernando Cardoso 1

Overall

1 Andrea Fedi 13
    2 Julian David Arredondo Moreno 9
    3 Maarten Tjallingii 9
    4 Marco Bandiera 9
    5 Nacer Bouhanni 7
    6 Michael Rogers 6
    7 Peter Weening 6
    8 Gianluca Brambilla 5
    9 Fabio Aru 4
    10 Pierre Rolland 4
    11 Jackson Rodriguez 4
    12 Marco Canola 4
    13 Davide Malacarne 4
    14 Diego Ulissi 4
    15 Robinson Eduardo Chalapud Gomez 4
  • TheBigBean
    Bold attack from Cataldo moves him up to joint 5th on the Overall. Without the controversy Quintana may have earnt a bonus 5 points for a highly memorable attack. Maybe Fedi is feeling the heat and will be in the break again today.

Stage 16

Dario Cataldo 5
    Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas 5
    Ryder Hesjedal 3
    Pierre Rolland 2

Overall

1 Andrea Fedi 13
    3 Maarten Tjallingii 9
    4 Marco Bandiera 9
    5 Dario Cataldo 7
    6 Nacer Bouhanni 7
    7 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas 6
    8 Pierre Rolland 6
    9 Michael Rogers 6
    10 Peter Weening 6
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    How has Tjallingi got more points than Cataldo or Rolland? I think there were too many points awarded early on. There's sod all panache in getting in the break on a flat stage and never looking like winning. It's more a cry for help.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    And there should be no panache points if you actually go on a long break and win the stage!
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95 wrote:
    How has Tjallingi got more points than Cataldo or Rolland? I think there were too many points awarded early on. There's sod all panache in getting in the break on a flat stage and never looking like winning. It's more a cry for help.

Maybe the range of points available should be greater depending on the stage and perhaps winning the TV sprint shouldn't score the same as winning the stage, but it is hard to design something completely perfect at the outset with no previous experience.

Tjallingi rode 200 km+ in a break on stage 2, then attacked on his own and was only caught with 3.5km to go. He then attacked on stage 3. That's quite a lot of panache. Cataldo did well yesterday and Rolland did well on stage 8 and quite well yesterday, but I'm not sure either has come close to Tjallingi on stage 2, so I think the points are reasonable.

Generally though if you had given your thoughts at the time, I'm quite likely to have taken them on board.
  • TheBigBean
    Cataldo was also pretty active on stage 14, but so were a lot of people like Albert Timmer.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Surely breaking away on the Stelvio (the Stelvio. STELVIO in the snow. SNOW!) from the break and winning the Cima Coppi three days after breaking away from the break up a mountain and nearly winning the stage deserves more panache points than Maarten Dinglydangly's Irish exploits? :D

Timmer also deserves lots of panache points. More than his fellow Dutchman.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TheBigBean wrote:

Generally though if you had given your thoughts at the time, I'm quite likely to have taken them on board.
    I'm really not that concerned. It just looked odd that he was up having done little more than we see from half a dozen Frenchmen every July.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    I second Rich's point. I don't actually really care. I am enjoying the Panache Jersey competition, I'm just seeking distraction form mind numbingly boring essay marking.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I second Rich's point. I don't actually really care. I am enjoying the Panache Jersey competition, I'm just seeking distraction form mind numbingly boring essay marking.

Bung us a few. We're the world's most objective commissaires. All a candidate requires for the panache bonus is a single mention of: Colombia, Hard Times, mine/steel-workers, Giro Visa denial, neutral zones...
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    Macaloon wrote:

Bung us a few. We're the world's most objective commissaires. All a candidate requires for the panache bonus is a single mention of: Colombia, Hard Times, mine/steel-workers, Giro Visa denial, neutral zones...

God can I. They might even get some panache bonus points seeing as they're on humanitarianism.
  • TheBigBean
    There wasn't much panache on show in stage 17, but De Gendt livened things up a bit before the end.

No change in the top 10 overall. Pirazzi moves up to 12th.

Stage 17

Stefano Pirazzi 3
    Tim Wellens 3
    Thomas De Gendt 3
    Matteo Montaguti 1

Overall

1 Andrea Fedi 13
    3 Maarten Tjallingii 9
    4 Marco Bandiera 9
    5 Dario Cataldo 7
    6 Nacer Bouhanni 7