Panache Jersey - Giro 2014 (contains spoliers)

TheBigBean
TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
edited June 2014 in Pro race
I think every GT should have a panache jersey to reward the brave and attacking riders who don't always cross the line first. With this in mind, I intend to keep a score for this year's Giro. I welcome all comment, banter, predictions and disagreements in the spirit of this thread especially as I'm going to miss the first two stages.

The rules:
1. 2 points to the stage winner. It takes panache to win no matter how you do it.
2. 2 points to the TV winner
3. An arbitrary total of 6-11 points awarded to the riders who have ridden with the most panache.
4. TTs don't count
5. Clothing and riding position don't count even if the rider wins the highly coveted frenchfighter award for style.
6. A special bonus 5 points for an exceptional performance that will be talked about in years to come.

E.g. Thierry Marie would have scooped 20 points in one stage in the 1991 tour.

The prize:
Unrivalled fame and glory and maybe a tweet if someone can be bothered.

Ts & Cs:
I reserve the right to get bored and abandon the jersey half way through. Nothing like commitment.

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    How about points for gurning as well?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ha good one. Lets hope a Colombian Coldeoportes rider shows some.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TheBigBean
    Garry H wrote:

A Stephen Roche style collapse is likely to score highly whereas a premier league footballer style fake injury is likely to score lowly. So really it just matters whether the gurning is for show. No rider in particular that you are thinking of, right?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

A Stephen Roche style collapse is likely to score highly whereas a premier league footballer style fake injury is likely to score lowly. So really it just matters whether the gurning is for show. No rider in particular that you are thinking of, right?
    Secret cameras would need to be set up, just to make sure that Tom, ahem, I mean the rider, isn't just doing it for tv.
  • TheBigBean
    Tjallingi showed a lot of panache taking the mountain points and putting in a decent dig at the end - only being caught with 3.5km to go. Good effort by the break as a whole riding for 200 km.

Results from stage 2

Maarten Tjallingii 5
    Andrea Fedi 4
    Marcel Kittel 2
    Sander Armee 2
    Jeffry Johan Romero Corredor 2
  • TheBigBean
    edited May 2014
    One man show at the moment as Tjallingii opens up a sizeable lead. Some people will say he is focusing on the King of Mountains jersey, but it is looking pretty clear he is after the Panache jersey.

Not as much panache on show today though.

Stage 3
    Maarten Tjallingii 4
    Marcel Kittel 3
    Yonder Godoy 1
    Miguel Angel Rubiano Chavez 1
    Gert Dockx 1
    Giorgio Cecchinel 1

Overall

Maarten Tjallingii 9
    Marcel Kittel 5
    Andrea Fedi 4
    Sander Armee 2
    Yonder Godoy 1
    Gert Dockx 1
    Giorgio Cecchinel 1
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Thought Kittel was angling for some points by collapsing after the stage, clearly the judges weren't convinced though.
  • TheBigBean
    thegibdog wrote:
    Thought Kittel was angling for some points by collapsing after the stage, clearly the judges weren't convinced though.

I missed that and a collapse does merit something so I've given him another pont, and he is now clear in 2nd place. I almost gave him a bonus point because he came from so far back with such a powerful finish. It was a sprint with panache.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    It was also his birthday... He deserves even more panache points for that sprint and collapse.
  • TheBigBean
    Not much panache around in stage 4, so I've broken the rules a bit.

Quiet day for Tjallingii in the Panchache Jersey. Presumably he is planning to cerment his position with attacks in stage 5.

Stage 4

Nacer Bouhanni - 3
    Elia Viviani - 2

Bouhanni scoring a bonus point for the recovery from a puncture. Viviani scoring points for the intermediate - really not sure this was deserved.

Overall

Maarten Tjallingii 9
    Marcel Kittel 4
    Andrea Fedi 4
    Nacer Bouhanni 3
    Sander Armee 2
    Elia Viviani 2
    Yonder Godoy 1
    Gert Dockx 1
    Giorgio Cecchinel 1
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Bouhanni had to swerve violently to avoid a rider sliding out in front of him as he was trying to make his way back to the front, causing him to lose even more ground to the small Giant led group who looked as though they had the race won by default. Not only did he manage to make such a maneuver which would have been impressive enough even without the slippery conditions, he somehow also managed to go quick enough to get back on to that group and win the race despite the fact that riders all around him were tumbling off. Proper panache in my book.

http://inrng.tumblr.com/post/85648262973
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Surely Kittel needs to be removed from the competition (or given a 100 point penalty for withdrawing after 3 flat stages)?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Points for Quinziato and Paolini for showing dissent during yesterday's stage?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Should stage winners be awarded panache points? After all, panache is the french term for losing conspicuously
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    RonB wrote:
    Points for Quinziato and Paolini for showing dissent during yesterday's stage?

Bad behaviour is not panache!

OT. But I didn't understand the Paolinin/Quinziato/Bling beef... why was it in BMC or Katusha's interests to try and race given that neither really has a sprinter and both teams would be portecting GC riders. Cadel was also trying to ease things up I thought.
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95 wrote:
    Should stage winners be awarded panache points? After all, panache is the french term for losing conspicuously
    Erm, since when? One can win with panache just as easily as lose with panache, n'est-ce pas?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    RichN95 wrote:
    Should stage winners be awarded panache points? After all, panache is the frenchie term for losing conspicuously

FTFY
  • DeadCalm
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Should stage winners be awarded panache points? After all, panache is the frenchie term for losing conspicuously

FTFY
    Crass.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    DeadCalm wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Erm, since when? One can win with panache just as easily as lose with panache, n'est-ce pas?
    Since France stopped winning anything
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    I need help with today's stage. Brambillia deserves some points, but did anyone do anything earlier of note?
  • TheBigBean
    Pross wrote:
    Surely Kittel needs to be removed from the competition (or given a 100 point penalty for withdrawing after 3 flat stages)?

Somethings, like this, aren't that well thought through. But you're right, you've got to be in the race to wear a jersey especially the panache jersey.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Hmm not really to be honest. The break were mainly out to get some points. Tosh Van Der Sande attacked more than once to try and go on a solo breakaway so he deserves a mention.

I think Brambilla should get the most points though. It took balls to go at full speed down a slippery descent.
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Since France stopped winning anything
    Ah, okay, so you were simply trolling rather than attempting to contribute anything worthwhile.
  • TheBigBean
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Bouhanni had to swerve violently to avoid a rider sliding out in front of him as he was trying to make his way back to the front, causing him to lose even more ground to the small Giant led group who looked as though they had the race won by default. Not only did he manage to make such a maneuver which would have been impressive enough even without the slippery conditions, he somehow also managed to go quick enough to get back on to that group and win the race despite the fact that riders all around him were tumbling off. Proper panache in my book.

http://inrng.tumblr.com/post/85648262973

I missed that. It turns out out I miss a lot of things - that's what I've learnt so far.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Perhaps points for Brambilla today. He certainly showed panache with his audacious descent/attack
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I need help with today's stage. Brambillia deserves some points, but did anyone do anything earlier of note?

You could give the Europcar team 2 points in rotation each day as they are likely to have someone in the break every day as usual. Generally I think it was a pretty dull affair again.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

FTFY
    Crass.

Not sure you need to be so sensitive on someone else's behalf, it was intended as an affectionate jibe to someone who I've seen use the term frequently about riders that often aren't successful but do provide entertainment.
    If he's offended I apologise (to him).
  • DeadCalm
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

FTFY
    Crass.

Not sure you need to be so sensitive on someone else's behalf, it was intended as an affectionate jibe to someone who I've seen use the term frequently about riders that often aren't successful but do provide entertainment.
    If he's offended I apologise (to him).
    Fair play. I was almost certainly being over-sensitive.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Somethings, like this, aren't that well thought through. But you're right, you've got to be in the race to wear a jersey especially the panache jersey.
    I reckon a rider REALLY deserves it if they show enough panache to win the panache jersey despite not completing all stages!
    Having a 10 point lead and withdrawing before the final stage, believing you've already got enough panache points to win - that's surely panache!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    dish_dash wrote:
    OT. But I didn't understand the Paolinin/Quinziato/Bling beef... why was it in BMC or Katusha's interests to try and race given that neither really has a sprinter and both teams would be portecting GC riders. Cadel was also trying to ease things up I thought.

Local riders with local DSs in the cars getting calls from local journalists along the lines of - make me a feud for tomorrows papers, or we rip y'all fresh ones - was my interpretation. Of course, J-Rod could have been looking to play some Russian roulette.

Edit - sorry for the diversion. I like the suggestion above that being too cool for the jersey is an important subjective consideration alongside the current analytical methods.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.