TrainerRoad - 8 Days in California 2014

markp80
markp80 Posts: 444
I see this is now up on the TrainerRoad website, running from the 11th to the 18th May.

I've just registered and it said that made two registrants - is anyone else having a go this year?! Come on guys, the Tour of Sufferlandria wasn't that bad was it? :mrgreen:

Cheers,
MarkP
Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!

Comments

• Bokoshoko
    Bokoshoko Posts: 20
    I'm signed up - I did it last year before I got some kind of virus which had me off the bike for 8 months:

http://www.trainerroad.com/career/bokoshoko

I'm using a new account (Yeti) because I struggle to deal with the huge loss of performance yada, yada when I look back at Bokoshoko.

I enjoyed it a lot when I did and I was hoping they'd do it again for this year.
  • michaelede
    michaelede Posts: 152
    It is REALLY vague as to what the stages involve or have I missed something? I assume no SF stages?
  • steve6690
    steve6690 Posts: 190
    I'm on it too, with another 68 riders. The stages are there under "plans" when you open the program.
  • markp80
    michaelede wrote:
    It is REALLY vague as to what the stages involve or have I missed something? I assume no SF stages?
    Yeah, select "Teams" when you're logged in, and it will show you as a member of the 8 Days team. Click on this and the 8 individual workouts are shown. You can then select each individual workout to see the profile in detail, including the FTP reference line.
    In fact, the stages show up in your workout list, so you can practice them all as from now if you wish....

Cheers,
    MarkP
  • How does it work?

My FTP is half most of you. Is there any point entering?
  • Bokoshoko
    How does it work?

It's like all of TR workouts they're relative to your FTP so even if your FTP was 2 it would be worth doing.

Each "stage" is a standard TR workout for example here's stage 1: http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/work ... DC-Stage-1
  • Bokoshoko wrote:
    How does it work?

It's like all of TR workouts they're relative to your FTP so even if your FTP was 2 it would be worth doing.

Each "stage" is a standard TR workout for example here's stage 1: http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/work ... DC-Stage-1
    How did you know what my FTP is?
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    I'd have been all over this but I go to Majorca halfway through it.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Your FTP is 2?

I'd better get training then...

I hope that the weather is good enough to ride outside, but if we get a whole week of bad weather then I'll give it a go. Not done one of their tours before so plenty to learn!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I was going to have a crack at this, but it turns out that having a 3 week old baby isn't conducive to commiting time to the turbo trainer (or doing anything meaningful whilst on it !!).
    :(
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    I've signed up for this.

Here is a list of the stages from last year. Lots of over FTP efforts in store!!!

http://support.trainerroad.com/entries/27769370-8-Days-of-California-2013
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    I entered this morning and think I was something like rider 752, I see its now nearly 900. Its going to be tough finding the time to do this as with a physical job I normally come home knackered!! :)

Pleased to see they all have little warm up effort prior to going full power.

I have read you get 50 hours from the time the first workout starts to complete and upload your session, stupid question here but does that mean for the 1st one on Sunday 11th I get till Monday night to complete it and so on? Only reason for asking is I have a sportive on Sunday 11th and doubt whether I will have enough energy left to do this when I get home.
  • Bokoshoko
    cerv50 wrote:
    I entered this morning and think I was something like rider 752, I see its now nearly 900. Its going to be tough finding the time to do this as with a physical job I normally come home knackered!! :)

I have read you get 50 hours from the time the first workout starts to complete and upload your session, stupid question here but does that mean for the 1st one on Sunday 11th I get till Monday night to complete it and so on? Only reason for asking is I have a sportive on Sunday 11th and doubt whether I will have enough energy left to do this when I get home.

TR site says this:

Each stage starts at 12am Kiritimati time (UTC+14) and ends at 12 midnight American Samoa time (UTC-11)

So Monday morning is your cut off (assuming you're in the UK).
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I did all of lasts years. I think the earlier stages were more difficult (for me). The Queen stage was also difficult!

I remember doing the work out and then recovering on the couch where I saw the ending of the proper stage on EuroSport with riders nearly passing out when crossing the line on the hill finish.

Turn off your cooling fans for maximal realism! :shock: :lol:
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • cerv50
    Bokoshoko wrote:
    cerv50 wrote:

TR site says this:

Each stage starts at 12am Kiritimati time (UTC+14) and ends at 12 midnight American Samoa time (UTC-11)

I am in the UK so looks like the 11th is going to be pretty exhausting with a ride in the morning then TR in the afternoon, might have to turn the FTP right down :roll:
  • markp80
    cerv50 wrote:
    Bokoshoko wrote:
    cerv50 wrote:

TR site says this:

I am in the UK so looks like the 11th is going to be pretty exhausting with a ride in the morning then TR in the afternoon, might have to turn the FTP right down :roll:
    Does this mean you could possibly do Stage 1 on Saturday night though?
  • cerv50
    MarkP80 wrote:
    cerv50 wrote:
    Bokoshoko wrote:
    cerv50 wrote:

TR site says this:

Does this mean you could possibly do Stage 1 on Saturday night though?

That would work, nice little warm up lol.

Be really grateful if someone could work out and post up the starting and end times of each stage in UK time please... Really want that TR jersey and the only way Im going to do it is to seriously put myself out, just hope my knee holds up as usually cant train 2 days in a row so 8 straight is going to be tough.
  • pan280
    pan280 Posts: 88
    Here are the start/end times for UK folks.
    cal.png

I may do this but i have to fly out (ironically to California) on Sat the 17th so i can't do the last stage.
    Unless i can find a bike and a turbo trainer in San Diego.
  • cerv50
    pan280 wrote:
    Here are the start/end times for UK folks.
    cal.png

I may do this but i have to fly out (ironically to California) on Sat the 17th so i can't do the last stage.
    Unless i can find a bike and a turbo trainer in San Diego.

Excellent, thank you pan280. I had emailed TR and they replied really quickly too saying pretty much the same thing. Seeing it all written down means I can do stage 1 on Saturday, sportive on Sunday then stage 2 on Monday evening :)
  • THampshire
    THampshire Posts: 18
    Bugger, after missing the sufferfest one just realised I can't do this either
    No way will I be able to do stage seven so will probably just do some evening intervals instead
  • If anyone is looking for some more info on the stages, you can check out the course preview here: http://blog.trainerroad.com/8dc-course-preview/

See you guys in Cali!

-Trevor from TrainerRoad
  • Bokoshoko
    My Garmin ANT+ USB stick has died, it's completely dead, zip, nada, deceased etc.

Anyone know anywhere near Kent where I can get a replacement? I don't mind travelling within reason...
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    pipipi wrote:
    I hope that the weather is good enough to ride outside, but if we get a whole week of bad weather then I'll give it a go. Not done one of their tours before so plenty to learn!

How does using it outside work? I'm a beginner cyclist but find TrainerRoad brilliantly "fun" for getting my legs spinning on days where it's just too rotten to be outside. Last month I followed a mostly structured plan but the last few weeks were too nice not to ride outside. I'd love to follow them outside.
  • spinndrift
    spinndrift Posts: 185
    I'm signed up too.

Really good to get cramp in my calf during one of the sprints - roll on tomorrow.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • markp80
    Well, that's Stage 1 done!
    Nice ride it was too - nasty hill in the middle and three tough laps of sprinting at the end. I definitely had a sweat on by the end!
    So, that's it - we're off......

Cheers,
    MarkP
  • steve6690
    Starting my "Tour" tomorrow after work. Looking forward to it :D
  • dilatory wrote:
    pipipi wrote:

How does using it outside work? I'm a beginner cyclist but find TrainerRoad brilliantly "fun" for getting my legs spinning on days where it's just too rotten to be outside. Last month I followed a mostly structured plan but the last few weeks were too nice not to ride outside. I'd love to follow them outside.

At the moment, the only way you can use TR outdoors is by following one of our training plans or workouts out on the road. You'll notice the majority of our workouts have a little "how to do outdoors" section in their description which will give you some tips on the best type of terrain, etc. for completing the intervals in a given workout outside.

We are working on some cool outdoor features to go along with the release of iOS, though. Stay tuned! :)

How'd the ITT in stage 2 go for you guys?

-Trevor
  • steve6690
    Just finished Stage 1. Testing but not too much so. I think I'll have sore legs tomorrow though.
  • Brad123
    Brad123 Posts: 86
    Stage 1 down not to bad. Did not like the sprints at the end that was hard work for me.
    GT Avalanche for xc fun
    Btwin Triban 3
  • cerv50
    1 & 2 done, 1 was OK but 2 was a killer and I had to dig really deep for the final 5 of the time trial. I like the words of encouragement throughout the rides but it is probably not everyone's cup if tea.

Keep going everyone, 6 more to go :)