Tour of Turkey 2014, April 27-May 4 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    TMR wrote:
    No Kittel. Not a surprise after his comments last year.

What comments did he make last year?
    Obviously he wasn't impressed with the big ring climbing of certain Turkish riders last year:
    ‘I was not often in my life so angry about a result of someone else. And I see many people around me feeling the same. #TourofTurkey’
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    adr82 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    No Kittel. Not a surprise after his comments last year.

What comments did he make last year?
    Obviously he wasn't impressed with the big ring climbing of certain Turkish riders last year:
    ‘I was not often in my life so angry about a result of someone else. And I see many people around me feeling the same. #TourofTurkey’

Aah...that's a reference to the drug abuse then. Thanks.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I still remember the commentator saying Mustafa was big ringing it up that hill because he was an ex MTB rider. What a daft comment.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I still remember the commentator saying Mustafa was big ringing it up that hill because he was an ex MTB rider. What a daft comment.

:lol: :roll:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    knedlicky wrote:
    Bananas are a speciality from around Alanya, thus why their appearance on the podium.

For a similar reason, it's possible the winner of stage 6, which finishes in Selcuk, will be given a big bowl of figs.

(Suspecting this may lead to some tactical manoeuvring as riders approach the finish line)

Mmmm, could cause issues with the old comfort breaks.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Paul 8v wrote:

On Eurosport, Dave Harmon did everything he could to shout "doper!" without actually saying the word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXONaRGVOB0

At 1hr19m
  • TMR
    I've never seen that before. Completely mental and very obvious.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    knedlicky wrote:
    Bananas are a speciality from around Alanya, thus why their appearance on the podium.

For a similar reason, it's possible the winner of stage 6, which finishes in Selcuk, will be given a big bowl of figs.

(Suspecting this may lead to some tactical manoeuvring as riders approach the finish line)

Mmmm, could cause issues with the old comfort breaks.

The one chance for AG2R's shorts to demonstrate their utility, and they're not there to prove it...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Paul 8v wrote:

On Eurosport, Dave Harmon did everything he could to shout "doper!" without actually saying the word.

At 1hr19m

And Big Maggy - on exactly the same page as Harmon. Everything but the actual D word'
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Paul 8v wrote:

At 1hr19m
    I'll have to listen to that one again!
  • blazing_saddles
    Live, but in Turkish:
    http://www.trt.net.tr/Anasayfa/canli.aspx?y=tv&k=trthd

Little happening........
  • Richmond Racer
    Only fired up the stream 2 mins ago and Kirby already doing my head in :(
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    THAT was the old Renshaw
  • Richmond Racer
    edited April 2014
    Yep

Great lead out, great sprint

And a head-butt for old times sake

Cav having no problem with SSR wins :wink:
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Not a very straight sprint by Cav there ... making sure to block folks in as his strength wained on the long sprint (and he'd had a look so knew where the chase was coming from) ...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pretty stiff crosswind from the right.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    That is just knowing what to do. He didn't deviate that wildly and was well clear anyway.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Not a very straight sprint by Cav there ... making sure to block folks in as his strength wained on the long sprint (and he'd had a look so knew where the chase was coming from) ...

Did you see the overhead? They were a bike length+ behind when Cav drifted.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Pretty stiff crosswind from the right.

Possibly the reason as he eases his grip on the bars in prep for celebrating the win ... Didn't look as bad on the overhead but it was a bit Pettachi-esque ...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Is this 'a shit small race' that Cavendish is using to rack up its wins/points?

Probably worth putting a spoiler in the title.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    Is this 'a shoot small race' that Cavendish is using to rack up its wins/points?

Probably worth putting a spoiler in the title.

Behave yourself! :)
  • blazing_saddles
    Viviani trying to put fellow Italian Guardini into the central reservation barrier
    the most interesting snippet from today's flat fare.
    Cav clearly streets ahead of the opposition and having Rickshaw Renshaw carrying
    him for an age, made a big difference.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Any bananas today?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Were you watching the same race? He drifted when behind to avoid the guy in front and then comforably got 2 bike lengths whilst probably having time to check twitter.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    Any bananas today?
    No. Instead, to quote Eddie Izzard, "bunch of flowers"

001.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cav looks slim there.

What was the deal with the black national champs top?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Last 5 kms, weirdly exactly where I started watching today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiUumtL6BQQ

Brings back memories so it does. That was pretty text book from OPQS. A well functioning train is a thing of real beauty.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    sjmclean wrote:
    Cav looks slim there.

I was thinking yesterday that Cavendish was looking slimmer than I remember. Maybe the jersey flatters him?
  • Richmond Racer
    sjmclean wrote:
    Cav looks slim there.

I was thinking yesterday that Cavendish was looking slimmer than I remember. Maybe the jersey flatters him?

We go around in perpetual circles on this one. He's fat / he's slimmer / it's the jersey - no one looks slim in the bands / its the jersey - it makes him look slimmer

Every year when Cav starts the season he looks a bit porky. By Giro time he's slim.

Add to that a bit of helpful gastroenteritus...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    sjmclean wrote:
    Cav looks slim there.

We go around in perpetual circles on this one. He's fat / he's slimmer / it's the jersey - no one looks slim in the bands / its the jersey - it makes him look slimmer

Every year when Cav starts the season he looks a bit porky. By Giro time he's slim.

Add to that a bit of helpful gastroenteritus...

I reckon that he just gets bigger in my own imagination, so when I see him racing he looks slimmer. Something similar happens with my scales at home, except I magically become fatter than I remember...