Tour of Turkey 2014, April 27-May 4 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Cheers. Nice to see merhawi at the sharp end! think it's only a matter of time before he gets a huge result somewhere. Still just a kid really.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Sweet Lord... Frenchie thanks for the updates. Sounds like great work by Rein, Yates, Kudus (and MTN in general)...

But seriously... how rapidly are you revolving your avatars?!?!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ha, difficulty settling on one ; )

Stage 3 Results
    EST 1 TAARAMAE, Rein (COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS) 5:40:31
    GBR 2 YATES, Adam (ORICA GreenEDGE) + 6
    FRA 3 HARDY, Romain (COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS) + 38
    ERI 4 KUDUS GHEBREMEDHIN, Merhawi (MTN - QHUBEKA)
    ITA 5 REBELLIN, Davide (CCC POLSAT POLKOWICE)
    ESP 6 SANCHEZ GIL, Luis Leon (CAJA RURAL - SEGUROS RGA)
    AUS 7 HANSEN, Adam (LOTTO BELISOL) + 43
    CRO 8 DURASEK, Kristijan (LAMPRE - MERIDA) + 44
    ESP 9 COBO ACEBO, Juan Jose (TORKU SEKERSPOR)
    BRA 10 ANDRIATO, Rafael (NERI SOTTOLI)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Great last 10 km racing but not taking anything away from Taramae and Yates, wtf were the others all doing fannying around looking at each other in the last 3km ?

Nice to see Hansen up there too, the old workhorse
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    dsoutar wrote:
    Great last 10 km racing but not taking anything away from Taramae and Yates, wtf were the others all doing fannying around looking at each other in the last 3km ?

Nice to see Hansen up there too, the old workhorse

Christ knows

Hansen really is a fantastically versatile rider
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Blawdy hell HANSEN!!!!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Hansen is one of the most underrated climbers in the peloton. Terrific rider.
  • dsoutar
    Taaramae: "I think I have an outside chance today"
    BmX-jifIMAA4Ycc.jpg

No need to be so modest Rein !
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    Thanks for the updates everyone, sounds like it may be worth watching the highlights later.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Rein as in the river or Rein as in the wet stuff? Either way great ride, nice to see him back.
    Cofidis always seem to do quite well in Turkey before disappearing back into the bunch.
  • frenchfighter
    Great photos from yesterday. Lovely scenery.
    http://www.steephill.tv/2014/tour-of-tu ... /stage-03/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Simon Yates had broken his left clavicle. Several weeks out. Not too bad timing though as this is a slow period anyway.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crampeur wrote:
    Rein as in the river or Rein as in the wet stuff? Either way great ride, nice to see him back.
    Cofidis always seem to do quite well in Turkey before disappearing back into the bunch.

Maybe he will keep improving . Cofidis have certainly stuck by him - and with one recognised leader they have some handy climbing domestiques? 11th in the 2011 tour and 2nd in u23 certainly had something.

Can't find out exactly about this illness but this is perfectly translated from Estonian by machine code :)

The emotion was frantic because I have confirmed: The earlier due to health reasons were messing with ! In this context, I welcome the faithful and dedicate the victory to our Pulmonary Clinic of Tartu Rain Jõgile head doctor who first alluded to the problem of strange throat , and big thanks to SEL capable Neinar who led me to meet him . Of course, the big , big thanks Kuperjanovi Ear Clinic personnel problem perfectly pent-up thinking you had to win ... and the sight of tears pouring !
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Crampeur wrote:

Maybe he will keep improving . Cofidis have certainly stuck by him - and with one recognised leader they have some handy climbing domestiques? 11th in the 2011 tour and 2nd in u23 certainly had something.

Can't find out exactly about this illness but this is perfectly translated from Estonian by machine code :)

The emotion was frantic because I have confirmed: The earlier due to health reasons were messing with ! In this context, I welcome the faithful and dedicate the victory to our Pulmonary Clinic of Tartu Rain Jõgile head doctor who first alluded to the problem of strange throat , and big thanks to SEL capable Neinar who led me to meet him . Of course, the big , big thanks Kuperjanovi Ear Clinic personnel problem perfectly pent-up thinking you had to win ... and the sight of tears pouring !

For ages his breathing problems couldnt be figured out correctly. Finally this year it was diagnosed as being down to excess tissue around his larynx and asthma. An operation to remove the excess...et, voila
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231

In the post stage interview with Matt Rendell, RT explained that after exploring all the possible links with asthma-based health issues (as the reason for his struggles to breathe properly when training/racing), they discovered that excessive skin in his throat was actually his problem (!?!)
    That climb they finished up yesterday looks about as good as any to test his new unrestricted throat...
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544

Great pics Frenchie - beautiful coast.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Post Snap!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Crampeur wrote:

For ages his breathing problems couldnt be figured out correctly. Finally this year it was diagnosed as being down to excess tissue around his larynx and asthma. An operation to remove the excess...et, voila

Special Guest Star's version is much better.
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:

Special Guest Star's version is much better.

you much thanks and commiserations in the first draftings
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Rein with 16secs. Yates bridged. 3km
    Everyone watching behind.
    dsoutar wrote:
    Romain Hardy: “I’m really glad about Rein’s victory and personally I was surprised to finish that well (3rd) … When Rein attacked, the others didn’t quite recognise him with his Estonian champion jersey and I started to impose a false tempo so that our rivals thought there was no Cofidis in the front.”
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    It doesn’t show on the steephill photo, but it appeared to me that Taaramae was given a mesh bag of potatoes as one of his prizes. You can just see the mesh in his hand in this photo.

005.jpg

Although, they could have perhaps been browny russet apples – the front of the podium stage was decorated with 15-20 boxes full of russet-type apples.
  • frenchfighter
    ^LOL love that quote from Hardy.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Sounds like chaos over there. Slippery roads causing multiple crashes. Stage maybe cancelled, maybe restarted (not from the start!)
  • Turfle
    Back racing now. Neutralised for time being though.
  • frenchfighter
    Greipel DNF.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    Greipel DNF.

?? Just seem him on the live coverage

Edit: unless they're showing something else at the moment
  • dsoutar
    Viewing http://www.trt.net.tr/anasayfa/canli.as ... &k=trtspor

The race appears to have stopped - anyone know what's occurring ?
  • frenchfighter
    dsoutar wrote:
    Greipel DNF.

?? Just seem him on the live coverage

Edit: unless they're showing something else at the moment

Apparently he hasn't!

@tourofturkey 4m
    @AndreGreipel returned to his car and was first tought to abandon but his @Lotto_Belisol team finally said he had not.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    Greipel not abandoned according to Lotto Belisol tweet:

"No abandon @AndreGreipel. Due to neutralisation of the race caused by dangerous conditions, there was misunderstanding #TUR2014"

• Apparently he hasn't!

@tourofturkey 4m
    @AndreGreipel returned to his car and was first thought to abandon but his @Lotto_Belisol team finally said he had not.

they obviously locked all the doors !