Football introduces revolutionary new doping test

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    sjmclean wrote:
    im sure I saw someone say he could make the olympic semi final with that pace.
    You'd need to be a 10.2 runner to have a hope of making a top class semi final in the 100m. Can't see Bale getting near that to be honest.

He is fast though, very.

As for doping and football - yes it probably goes on a bit (we'll ignore the charlie for now) but I doubt that drugs are as important in "games" as they are in pure athletic sports like cycling and running. The variables in games - primarily around skill - make the benefits of doping far less clear. Whether Messi is doping or not - he is far from the best "athlete" in World football.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Daz555 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    im sure I saw someone say he could make the olympic semi final with that pace.
    You'd need to be a 10.2 runner to have a hope of making a top class semi final in the 100m. Can't see Bale getting near that to be honest.

He is fast though, very.

As for doping and football - yes it probably goes on a bit (we'll ignore the charlie for now) but I doubt that drugs are as important in "games" as they are in pure athletic sports like cycling and running. The variables in games - primarily around skill - make the benefits of doping far less clear. Whether Messi is doping or not - he is far from the best "athlete" in World football.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was true, just had read it somewhere. Heres a website with claimed times for 100m, quite a few sub 11sec http://www.givemesport.com/347454-world ... -sprinters
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,160
    A sub 11 second isn't that special. Besides it's speed over much shorter distances repeatedly and acceleration that is needed for football. They rarely hit top speed.

At school Gareth Bale was a 400m & 800m runner.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    Forget bale. Ronaldo did 96m in 10 seconds flat in a game this season.

With football boots on grass.
  • RichN95.
    Forget bale. Ronaldo did 96m in 10 seconds flat in a game this season.

With football boots on grass.
    I'm calling shenanigans on that 'stat'. For a start, when has anyone run 96m flat out in any game?
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Michael Owen claims he did 100m in 10.8 at 14
  • rick_chasey
    http://youtu.be/4HoXsXs1OPk

Was reported on pretty heavily. Google ronaldo 96m
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Ha that is excellent. Would have been good if he finished it off.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Juventus hotel room in 1999 would look alot like a cycling hotel room in the same era! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ypsQA5abk
    Daz555 wrote:

Doping helps with skill too - if a player is less fatiqued either after a sprint or towards the end of the game then they are more likely to be able to pull off the skill elements. Just look at baseball - a game more based on skill / hand eye coordination than athleticism compared to football yet for the last decade or so numerous players have been smashing long standing records in terms of things like hitting home runs - all of them eventually caught doping to do this. The benefits of doping in sports like football is huge.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856

Just saying "10 seconds" isn't very accurate when it comes to 100m times though. That could be 10.2, 10.5 or 10.8. Either way it's still pretty quick.

Quite a lot of different athletes can run the 100m in around the 10 seconds mark. People who play wing/full back in either code of rugby can usually do that kind of time.
  • RichN95.

I would question how accurate those measurements are.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    On the matter of speedy sprinters in other sports and apropos nothing at all, Brive had a winger in the mid-90s who could do the 100m in ten seconds dead. Was likely to run for France at the olympics until his club put the kybosh on that idea as the sport moved into the professional era.

Tits for hands, iirc, but could burn the average front-row fatty all day long.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    Juventus hotel room in 1999 would look alot like a cycling hotel room in the same era! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ypsQA5abk
    Daz555 wrote:

Doping helps with skill too - if a player is less fatiqued either after a sprint or towards the end of the game then they are more likely to be able to pull off the skill elements. Just look at baseball - a game more based on skill / hand eye coordination than athleticism compared to football yet for the last decade or so numerous players have been smashing long standing records in terms of things like hitting home runs - all of them eventually caught doping to do this. The benefits of doping in sports like football is huge.

The bolded part is very important imo. Quite apart from any physical advantages to be gained - running faster for longer without having to worry about being dead on one's feet at the end of 90 minutes - the mental sharpness gained as a result of not being burned completely would be fairly significant imo.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    The_Boy wrote:
    Tits for hands, iirc

Completely off-topic, but that's mint :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

Pretty accurate.

There are whole companies who measure this shit.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Pretty accurate.

There are whole companies who measure this shoot.
    So his run was exactly ten seconds long. Not 10.2, not 10.7, but 10.0. That's convenient.

And where are they starting their timing from. Are they conveniently discounting the first few metres of acceleration.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681
    Ronaldo is slower than Walcott and Walcott's 10s 100m on a track is more like 10.3 seconds, so I'm very suspicious of that Ronaldo time.
  • Anonymous
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Ronaldo is slower than Walcott and Walcott's 10s 100m on a track is more like 10.3 seconds, so I'm very suspicious of that Ronaldo time.

Say it's 10.8, hes in football boots, on grass. wearing baggy clothing.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Pretty accurate.

There are whole companies who measure this shoot.
    So his run was exactly ten seconds long. Not 10.2, not 10.7, but 10.0. That's convenient.

And where are they starting their timing from. Are they conveniently discounting the first few metres of acceleration.

Go speak to opta.
  • Anonymous
    Peter Cech is fit to play after a dislocated shoulder, which happened last week. Some serious pain killers, at least, going on there.

Barry Ferguson used to have to get injections in his back to play, whilst at Rangers, for quite some time. As a grown up I wonder what they were
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2014
    sjmclean wrote:
    Peter Cech is fit to play after a dislocated shoulder, which happened last week. Some serious pain killers, at least, going on there.
    The pain won't be any problem. In fact there probably won't be any really, just soreness. Doing it again is his biggest worry.

(I'm a hockey goalkeeper - I've dislocated my shoulders around 20 times - six or seven of them requiring hospital trips. I've never been on pain killers for more than a couple of days).
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    RichN95 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    The pain won't be any problem. In fact there probably won't be any really, just soreness. Doing it again is his biggest worry.

(I'm a hockey goalkeeper - I've dislocated my shoulders around 20 times - six or seven of them requiring hospital trips. I've never been only pain killers for more than a couple of days).
    He'll be ok, the skull cap'll sort it out!
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    I really don't believe these 10.2 secs 100m from footballers. That's as quick as a pre-season Usain Bolt would probably run! The quickest men in the world, choosing to play football instead of being the most famous sportsmen on the planet!

Presumably timings will have been rounded & distances measured generously and a flying start?
  • RichN95.
    I really don't believe these 10.2 secs 100m from footballers. That's as quick as a pre-season Usain Bolt would probably run! The quickest men in the world, choosing to play football instead of being the most famous sportsmen on the planet!

Presumably timings will have been rounded & distances measured generously and a flying start?
    And they're not even black. Since when have white guys been able to run that fast?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,688
    RichN95 wrote:

And they're not even black. Since when have white guys been able to run that fast?

I know we haven't seen him on a pitch for ages but I'm pretty sure Walcott is black :wink:

I agree on the 100m times quoted being unlikely, especially on grass in football kit. Carlin Isles is reputedly the fastest man in rugby and has a 100m time 10.13 seconds (wind assisted), even his official PB of 10.23 seconds would have put him in the 2012 Olympic semi-final (he can't catch, pass or tackle though!).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Isn't the point of this thread that all these skinny white footballers are running 100m in 10 secs in boots on grass after a long hard game because they're gangsta trippin on EPO, 'roids, HGH etc?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I know we haven't seen him on a pitch for ages but I'm pretty sure Walcott is black :wink:

I agree on the 100m times quoted being unlikely, especially on grass in football kit. Carlin Isles is reputedly the fastest man in rugby and has a 100m time 10.13 seconds (wind assisted), even his official PB of 10.23 seconds would have put him in the 2012 Olympic semi-final (he can't catch, pass or tackle though!).

Walcott at least has a strong athletic pedigree, both his parents were pretty handy athletes, can't remember exactly which disciplines. I'm fairly sure he could genuinely have made it as a sprinter if he'd wanted.Agree that times are likely to be a little inaccurate, taken with a stopwatch, no wind measure, no false start control etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:
    Isn't the point of this thread that all these skinny white footballers are running 100m in 10 secs in boots on grass after a long hard game because they're gangsta trippin on EPO, 'roids, HGH etc?

That and it's bloody exciting when they do.
  • The_Boy

That's the important bit. Not only are 100m sprinters going from a standing start, they're not even running upright until what, 40m?

That and the extra pint of blood, obvs.
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:

Since 2010, iirc.