Football introduces revolutionary new doping test

124»

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Running 100m in the 10s -11s range is obviously very impressive compared to the average person but it's not particularly eye catching for most athletes.

Pierre Spies (South African rugby player) is 6'4", getting on for 18 stone and he can reportedly run 100m in under 11s. There are others like him as well. Tom Croft springs to mind.

It's really only when you get down to sub 10 seconds that you require natural talent over and above world class athleticism.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    I ran 10.95 at school and I'm pretty bloody ordinary.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:

Yes, but that was the 60m indoor...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I'd struggle to do that time for 60m these days.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I'd struggle to do that time for 60m these days.

I'm not sure I could manage it on a bike with a flying start :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    sjmclean wrote:
    Peter Cech is fit to play after a dislocated shoulder, which happened last week. Some serious pain killers, at least, going on there.

Barry Ferguson used to have to get injections in his back to play, whilst at Rangers, for quite some time. As a grown up I wonder what they were

Cortisone probably.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Pross wrote:
    .................he can't catch, pass or tackle though!

Didn't stop Mike Catt having an international career or get an England coaching job :wink:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Milton50 wrote:
    Running 100m in the 10s -11s range is obviously very impressive compared to the average person but it's not particularly eye catching for most athletes.

Pierre Spies (South African rugby player) is 6'4", getting on for 18 stone and he can reportedly run 100m in under 11s. There are others like him as well. Tom Croft springs to mind.

It's really only when you get down to sub 10 seconds that you require natural talent over and above world class athleticism.

The Superstars record was 10.85 so I'd take some of these claims with a pinch of salt. Malcolm MacDonald was the one I remember as being notably quick and google suggests his was 10.9. Most series nobody broke 11 seconds. Any non sprinter going sub 11 is impressive.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    There was a guy who played for Cwmbran Town in the mid 90s who did the the 100m in 10.04 .
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ^ Evidence please, or I'm calling you for an obscure Half Man Half Biscuit b-side reference.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:
    ^ Evidence please, or I'm calling you for an obscure Half Man Half Biscuit b-side reference.
    Darren Campbell. He had a couple of years in his early 20s where he gave up athletics and played football instead.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    To be fair, he did go on to win Olympic gold in Athens! There's an ex-Dagenham & Redbridge defender who has a PB of 10.05 as well.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Pross wrote:
    To be fair, he did go on to win Olympic gold in Athens! There's an ex-Dagenham & Redbridge defender who has a PB of 10.05 as well.

What?? Holy cow, this place is amaze for displays of the most obscure bits of knowledge
  • milton50
    I broke the school 200m record when I was 14 - 21.8 seconds. That's quicker than a few athletes managed in the heats at the London Olympics (granted they were mostly there to make up the numbers).

That doesn't add much to the thread. Just thought I'd tell you all how great I am.
  • DeVlaeminck
    You didn't run 21.8 at 14.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Pross wrote:

What?? Holy cow, this place is amaze for displays of the most obscure bits of knowledge

Not really obscure, there was loads in the media about Adam Gemili during 2012 :wink: I'd forgotten about Campbell playing for the mighty Cwmbran Town until Rich mentioned it though.
  • milton50
    You didn't run 21.8 at 14.

I did. There was a rumour going round for a couple of weeks after that the course was actually only 194m. But I definitely clocked 21.8s
  • DeVlaeminck
    You should have kept it up then as the British under 15 record is 22.13
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Re fast sportsmen - this is interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZqEj-Qyg6U

Basically C Ronaldo v Spanish sprinter. Ronaldo is a lot quicker jagging back and forth (which is what his day job requires) Spanish sprinter is faster in a straight line. Lot to do with technique too....
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    ^^^ good to know... :?