RAAM 2014 / 2015

124»

Comments

• nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    She has an internal thermometer (swallowed before breakfast) which broadcasts realtime core temperature data to the team - yesterday it was reading 39.5!

11406895_846707172087655_4739196910775894540_n.jpg?oh=0ce61806af48f47a3c4412c769806db8&oe=55EB8522
  • nic_77
    Shu is approaching the half way point at 1450miles (covered in 5.5 days so far). Yesterday she put in a 300mile day (after 4 days averaging 250miles).

Last year's victor Christophe Strasser quit the race yesterday, struggling with illness. This is one tough event.

Now is the point where lack of sleep really starts to take hold. Any kind of distraction is welcome, so if you have a moment or two to spare please send some words of encouragement (either on her Facebook page, via or Twitter or I can forward stuff on).

• nic_77
    An update...

Shu continues to ride across America! But the end is in sight - she has a little over 600 miles left to go and 3 and a bit days to do it in. Just another 3 200 mile days :) Of course this means she has already cycled more than 2400 miles (more than either the tour or giro) in under 10 days.

So, if you are impressed maybe you'd consider topping up her charity fund for Herts Air Ambulance. A resource that none of us ever want to use, but as cyclists we may need to one day.

https://www.justgiving.com/ShuRAAM2015

If you can help spread the word in any way - either to friends or possible corporate sponsors or news outlets please do. Maybe like and share her Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shusanah-Pillinger-The-Road-to-RAAM/357848314306879

Thanks (and sorry for the begging).
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    An update...

Shu continues to ride across America! But the end is in sight - she has a little over 600 miles left to go and 3 and a bit days to do it in. Just another 3 200 mile days :) Of course this means she has already cycled more than 2400 miles (more than either the tour or giro) in under 10 days.

So, if you are impressed maybe you'd consider topping up her charity fund for Herts Air Ambulance. A resource that none of us ever want to use, but as cyclists we may need to one day.

https://www.justgiving.com/ShuRAAM2015

If you can help spread the word in any way - either to friends or possible corporate sponsors or news outlets please do. Maybe like and share her Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shusanah-Pillinger-The-Road-to-RAAM/357848314306879

Thanks (and sorry for the begging).

Done. I just looked at the tracking map - 4 zoom outs before anywhere that looks like a town comes into view; got lonely just looking at the damn map. Epic journey. Best wishes for those last three days.
  • nic_77
    Thank you. Much appreciated :)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    Been following closely her progress through the last week via the Tracktalis and the Facebook page. Really shows the massive scale and inherent challenges. Good to see she is in the final phase after those tough days in the Midwest.

Was saddened to read what happened to Anders Tesgaard, riding 3rd place after 2,500 miles but hit from behind on Wednesday. Critical but stable. Multiple fractures, both lungs punctured, small brain lesions. Horrible.
  • nic_77
    Shu finished up this morning. >3000miles in <300hours. Comfortably within the time limit to become the first British woman to complete Race Across America.

I gather the sleep restriction was pretty challenging. She suffered from hallucinations and fell asleep on the bike several times - including on one occasion two days ago which resulted in a crash exactly like last year. Luckily there was no damage this time.

Smashing achievement. I'm very proud :)
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Whoop Whoop! Many congratulations to her! Great effort...
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412

As you should be!

(from the RAAM website for anyone that doesn't believe this is an astonishing achievement):

Less than 200 solo and tandem racers have officially finished solo RAAM earning the title of RAAM Finisher, compared with over 2000 individuals who have summated (sic.) Mt. Everest and 200 racers every year compete in the Tour de France.

That puts her in a very elite group of riders. Massive congratulations to her and her crew!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fewer than the 536 people who have been into space as well!

Phenomenal work, massive congratulations
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Shu finished up this morning. >3000miles in <300hours. Comfortably within the time limit to become the first British woman to complete Race Across America.

I gather the sleep restriction was pretty challenging. She suffered from hallucinations and fell asleep on the bike several times - including on one occasion two days ago which resulted in a crash exactly like last year. Luckily there was no damage this time.

Nic, my warm congratulations to Shu (and the crew ) on this massive achievement, I well understand your feeling of pride - and a special someone, looking down from above is, | am sure, likewise proud.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Great stuff! Was fun to follow on twiter! Buy that girl a beer!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Amazing achievement - many congratulations
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I am in awe of Shu. Not only did she have to ride an awfully long way she had to do some of it in some really dreadful weather. Stonking heat, p*ssing rain. It puts my current thesis marking marathon into perspective.

Please pass on our admiration Nic.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    first British woman to complete Race Across America

Wow. This will hold for all eternity. Smashing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    What a fantastic acheivement. Congratulations to Shu and the crew.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Inspiring stuff - between her and Steve Abraham it makes my distances feel quite pathetic really :)
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Nice! Front page of the BBC news page next to the headline about Tony Martin! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/33425638
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Goblins!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    For those of you interested Shu Pillinger was on Radio 5 yesterday for about 15 minutes talking about the race.

You can listen again here (forward to near the end - 2:41:00) : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b062djhf#play
    Twitter: @RichN95