RAAM 2014 / 2015

nic_77
nic_77 Posts: 929
edited July 2015 in Pro race
http://vimeo.com/86633049

OK... I'm going to shoehorn this into the Pro Race on the basis that Dave Zabriskie has just announced his intention to ride this year (in a team along with Dave Mirra, Micky Dymond and Ben Bostrom).

But, I also have a vested interest. My sister Shu Pillinger is aiming to become the first British Woman to complete the race solo this year. That's 3000 miles / 170,000ft of climbing in a limit of 12 days (on not much more than a few hours sleep a day).

Please give her a follow: @shupillinger / facebook / http://www.strava.com/athletes/393857

Comments

• Always enjoy the sheer mentalness of this race. I remember watching a documentary a few years back and thinking what an incredible effort it is
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Good luck to yer sis Nic - that's an awesome task!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Been following your sister's build up since crossing paths on day one of LEL. An amazing challenge and look forward to following her in the race.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can't wait to see her in action here.
  • nic_77
    Race starts tomorrow - get ready to start tracking!

http://tractalis.com/RAAM2014/
    Follow (and encourage please) via: @shupillinger #ShuRAAM

The target is 3022 miles (the 2014 TdF is only 2270 miles) in 12 days and 21 hours. Solo.

Parcours:

69720_357850657639978_1895109347_n.jpg

Profile:

raamprofile_zps1c5b93e6.jpg

I'll expect to see geology (plenty) and cheese (might be challenging) updates as we go!

You can sponsor (Herts Air Ambulance) if you like: http://www.justgiving.com/ShuRAAM
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    kraft-cheese-coupons.jpg

Here's the cheese sorted.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Pross wrote:
    kraft-cheese-coupons.jpg

Here's the cheese sorted.

^works for every state. Brilliant

Good luck to your sis, nic, have a great adventure
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I see your Kraft cheese slices and I raise you:

Kraft-Velveeta-fans-upset-by-shortage_strict_xxl.jpg

Velveeta Pasteurized Cheese Product, found in the dried goods isle of a supermarket near you.

Oh yes and good luck to your sister. Mammoth.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    MMmmmmmmm Cheese Product.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,877
    Apparently Pippa Middleton is racing as part of a team of 8
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nic_77
    Apparently Pippa Middleton is racing as part of a team of 8

Yeah, good for her. Hopefully it will bring some more coverage of the race.

Although I will say it must be nice to be able to just decide to turn up and ride her few hundred mile share - my Sis has spent years building up to and training for this, including working to personally fund the entire effort of her 9 person crew, all of whom have generously given up their time to take part. Just saying.
  • marcusjb
    Yep - never really that interested in the big teams side of it. 2 and 4 member teams, yes maybe (I have to say that, I know members of a 4 machine team for 2015). But 8! Under 400 miles - albeit at an elevated pace.

Solo though - something else. Just getting to the start line is a massive achievement that deserves massive respect - I am sure the stresses of training are matched by those of funding and logistics. I've heard figures of, at minimum, £20K to fund a RAAM attempt.

I will be watching and cheering Shu on all the way! There's quite a lot of British interest this year, which is great to see!
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Not forgetting cheese in an aerosol

cheese-in-a-can.jpg
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Best of luck to her! Your family is all round awesome.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    THEY'RE OFF!
  • nic_77
    18 hours into the race and Shu is through California and on into Arizona. 270miles down, 2750miles to go
    The crew are blogging as they go... http://fourlegsgoodlog.wordpress.com/
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Great blog. Awestruck. All the best.
    The road surface shimmers and stretches out in a straight line as far as the eye can see and buzzards circle above. Seriously.

Only 273 people have made it across, in the time, solo.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Having once ridden a 12 hour I really do admire all the solo / small team riders in this. It probably isn't taken seriously by many of us regular cycling fans but it's a huge feat of endurance.
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Now following Nic......incredible effort thus far......good luck to your sis for rest of way. Bonkers but brilliant
  • nic_77
    The devil is operating the bellows in the desert. The heat weighs like an anvil. Shu fights on...

466 miles done in 37 hours so far... Shu is currently 2nd in the female solo category.

A few photos to liven up the thread.

Bpw2aNkIQAAf65W.jpg
    Bp2jIRxCcAEQQbC.jpg
    Via kit sponsor @carvalhocustom

20140610-183438-66878277.jpg?w=604
    Via crew nutritionist @EatDrinkPerform

Thanks everyone for the support - please do tweet something encouraging to @shupillinger or #ShuRAAM or message via Facebook.

All random messages gratefully received - it's pretty intense yet also often monotonous for both Shu and the crew so anything interesting to help them get through each mile will help.

Data is also going up onto Strava if you're interested.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    They don't get bike racing in the States do they. I mean look at the fans...

20140611-131528-47728091.jpg?w=604
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Ever since seeing bicycle dreams I've had an interest in this race. They truly are nutters and it's an amazing feat of endurance.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Very impressive. I recognise that guy on the left at the back - he runs the regional mtb races in the midlands!
  • nic_77
    Crew Shu - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 879&type=1
    See picture comments for a biog of each member :)
  • marcusjb
    Shu seems to be going well - keep on pedalling!

Christoph Strasser is 2 hours 30 ahead of where he was on last year's record-breaking ride. Massive ride going on there. Just astonishing - still averaging over evens at time station 13 (784 miles!).
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Yup, totally mental.

I'm still trying to break a 20mph average for a 20 mile loop, to do that over that distance is astonishing.

Part of me wants to do this, but it is a very long term goal.
  • nic_77
    Christoph Strasser is a machine

dcf6ef6b21.jpg
    74160c421a.jpg
    ce0598d842.jpg
    16a56769ca.jpg
    61ce83758e.jpg
  • nic_77
    Shu has now covered 700miles (in just over two and half days) and is sitting in second place in the women's race.
    Along with the third place lady, she is currently resting up at the time check in Kayenta in the Navajo reserve before planning her assault on the climbs through Monument Valley.

Here's a glimpse of what's to come:

Valley.jpg
    From the website of Italian Nico Valsesia (currently 140miles or so up the road)