Sutherland on Contador

124»

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Dr. Ashenden in a huff is here.

http://nyvelocity.com/content/interview ... l-ashenden
    The UCI argued that Contador's clen positive was likely the result of a blood transfusion.

The UCI only needed to argue that meat contamination was not most likely. Therefore, it presented evidence of another possible scenario - blood doping. It didn't need to prove that this is was very likely, only that it was more likely / possible. Many people have interpreted the submission as definitive evidence of blood doping which is not correct.

The UCI were prevented on a procedural point from presenting Ashenden to counter this argument, so Contador's argument stood unchallenged.

The procedural point / technicality is often referenced and it comes from the linked Ashenden interview. To my mind it sounds like his initial submission was imperfect (mentioning plasticizers as evidence without really working it through to explain why they weren't there later).

Overall, the point for me is that legal stuff exists for a reason, and both sides were prevented from submitting evidence. The fact that the brother of the farmer responsible for the steak has a convinction for clenbuterol was also not allowable evidence. Nor was some of Contador's more shady connections.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    There's also this: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5948/ ... rance.aspx

Obviously we don't know how reliable a source this comes from but the scenario put forward is a hell of a lot more plausible than the dodgy steak.
  • TheBigBean
    mfin wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    The problem with the plasticizers was that they were found in a urine test before the clenbuterol turned up and were not present when the clenbuterol was present. Key to making the blood doping case was proving that it was possible Contador could have transferred blood (and plasticizsers) one day and then plasma (and clenbuterol) the next day. The question was then raised as to why the plasma transfer didn't also contain plasticizers. Dr. Ashenden tried to counter this by saying that DEHP free bags are available and this explains their absence. So he used one type of bag for the blood and another for the plasma. CAS concluded that this seemed possible, but as likely as the contaminated steak.

Its worth remembering that Contador's lawyers protested against Ashenden's theory on a procedural point, with the result that WADA weren't allowed to present Ashenden to testify and expand on the plasticizer issue during the CAS hearing.

Yes, big bean is not actually correct at all about this, it's a bit of a misinformed interpretation.

Both were considered "very unlikely to have occurred". It is true that this doesn't actually mean equally likely, but that is quite pedantic.
    332 The Panel therefore considers that although the meat contamination scenario is a possible explanation for the presence of clenbuterol in Mr Contador’s Sample, in light of all the evidence adduced - and as explained above, it is very unlikely to have occurred.
    454 To sum up, for the above reasons, the Panel finds that although the blood transfusion theory is a possible explanation for the adverse an alytical finding, in light of all the evidence adduced and as explained above, it is very
    unlikely to have occurred
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Yes, but one was extensively looked into, the other was only started to be looked into then that process stopped (by Contador's lot) as it wasn't part of the steak 'yes/no'.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    This thread reminds me of The Producers
    Not many people know it, but Alberto was a terrific dancer..
    Alberto.....there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Springtime for Frenchie and Contador
    Tinkov is happy and gay
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Tinkov is happy and gay

Winter for Johan and Lance
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Tinkov is happy and gay

Don't be stupid, don't be smarty, come join Frenchie's Conti party.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Tinkov is happy and gay

Don't be stupid, don't be smarty, come join Frenchie's Conti party.

Watch out, Europe
    We're going on the Tour
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I don't want war! All I want is peace.. peace... peace
    A little piece Bruyneel
    A little piece of Lance
    A little piece of Saiz and Marti
    And Bjarne Riis perchance
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Anyone else (and I accept that this is a niche reference) reminded of the 12th man and Bill Lawry going off on one when Merv gets a Hatrick

Anyway this is Cav on True Champions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leHpqKt4Ftk#t=410
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Is no one going to compare a certain someone's Contador fixation with Leo Bloom and his blue blanket...?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vWz0AWtwdoA
  • TheBigBean
    mfin wrote:
    Yes, but one was extensively looked into, the other was only started to be looked into then that process stopped (by Contador's lot) as it wasn't part of the steak 'yes/no'.

Many internet arguments puzzle me.