Sutherland on Contador

Comments

• tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    A bit of an odd thread. I'm not sure if it's FF or Contador who some of you dislike.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    mfin wrote:
    But in the meantime there's the bonus that at least I can enjoy the odd laugh at the squeaky-voiced berk.

You've heard Frenchie talk?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Obviously Contador is a great guy and all, and is probably really nice to his mother… but does anyone else think his recent form might be a bit dodgy?

His drop in performance after his ban only enforced my suspicions he was probably doping previously, and was now racing clean. Good on him. Now his performances have improved dramatically again to the point where he makes it look too easy.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Right I am making the most of the weather and going to train on my local hills and perfect my Contador climbing style.

Contador says hi.
    610x-13-1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Right I am making the most of the weather and going to train on my local hills and perfect my Contador climbing style.

Contador says hi.
    610x-13-1.jpg

Hills? I thought you worked in the city? Ah you helicopter in from the North.

Strava is not Zen.
  • woody1545 wrote:
    Obviously Contador is a great guy and all, and is probably really nice to his mother… but does anyone else think his recent form might be a bit dodgy?

His drop in performance after his ban only enforced my suspicions he was probably doping previously, and was now racing clean. Good on him. Now his performances have improved dramatically again to the point where he makes it look too easy.
    Yeah defo, it just seems pretty obvious. Riis, Marti & nice guy Contador ...
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Honestly don't know why you guys bother, it's like arguing with your 13 year old daughter about Justin Bieber.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    dougzz wrote:
    Honestly don't know why you guys bother, it's like arguing with your 13 year old daughter about Justin Bieber.

She's nearly 14 now, and has gone off him. I played her some Nina Simone and she liked it.

FF on the other hand...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    dougzz wrote:

Can we just quote this whenever another thread appears or is de-railed? And then lock them.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    dougzz wrote:

She's nearly 14 now, and has gone off him. I played her some Nina Simone and she liked it.

FF on the other hand...

:lol:
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I am actually warming to Bertie this year. I thought his ride at Tirreno was very impressive.

In my view I think he had it too easy for too long. He just kept doing the same old stuff that worked although the game was changing around him. It's amazing the effect that your boss telling you that you have under-performed and that you need to up your game can have.

I have visions of Oleg visit with a flustered Bjarne and saying in proper Vader style "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate him".
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Am I the only one who didn't see a drop in form post-ban?

Bert was always sometimes amazing, sometimes very good but essentially a lucky winner.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

Bert was always sometimes amazing, sometimes very good but essentially a lucky winner.

Lucky?

Lucky did you say?

:roll: :D
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Lucky?

Lucky did you say?

I don't mean he won purely by luck, but it played a part.

Would you agree some of his wins haven't been utterly dominant?
  • frenchfighter
    Yes, I would agree and have said it before. He has won by storming margins before but mostly it is taking small amount of time consistently. Was one of the reasons I pointed out a couple of years ago for another reason to doubt he was a doper.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    Yes, I would agree and have said it before. He has won by storming margins before but mostly it is taking small amount of time consistently. Was one of the reasons I pointed out a couple of years ago for another reason to doubt he was a doper.

Oh there's no reason to doubt he was a doper.

I just don't see a huge different between pre and post ban.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

Oh there's no reason to doubt he was a doper.

I just don't see a huge different between pre and post ban.

Maybe because 0.0000000001 clen has an irrelevant effect on performance.

I dont see any positives from him for something performance enhancing, no words of doubt from the governing bodies and no whistle blowers on him. In this day of cycling and with a career as long as his, we would have heard it before now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Like with Armstrong?
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    iainf72 wrote:

Lucky?

Lucky did you say?

Did your array of screens survive this or did you spit your coffee all over them? :lol:
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Lucky?

Lucky did you say?

One might argue that he was lucky that Rasmussen was busted out of yellow in the '07 Tour... And then "lucky" to beat Evans (who'd only previously been beaten in TT by a juiced Vino) in a flat 55km TT...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Lucky?

Lucky did you say?

One might argue that he was lucky that Rasmussen was busted out of yellow in the '07 Tour... And then "lucky" to beat Evans (who'd only previously been beaten in TT by a juiced Vino) in a flat 55km TT...

Lucky that Andy can't change gear?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ocdupalais
    ... And someone else might argue that he was lucky that Schleck dropped his chain when he did in 2010...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Lucky?

Lucky did you say?

Now THAT was a slice of luck worthy of Chief McLucky of the McLucky Clan from McLuckland
  • ocdupalais
    ... That "someone" is TWH!
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Lucky?

Lucky did you say?

Or that Levi chose to pace him up Aubisque rather than get on with it ... Sadly at that point they were racing for the podium and trying to get the best result for the team with Ras looking like the surefire winner ...

Same could likely be said of the Vuelta in '08 where Levi rode for AC and still only came in time bonuses down ... If he had ridden for himself instead of making the pace for AC then marking out Valverde on L'Angliru ...

EDIT: The Levi stuff only proves Frenchie's point though ... If Levi was willing to ride for AC ... Or maybe Levi is just a bit feckless ...
  • ocdupalais

EDIT: The Levi stuff only proves Frenchie's point though ... If Levi was willing to ride for AC ... Or maybe Levi is just a bit feckless ...

Conversely, if Levi had won those, with Bert 2nd, he would have been stripped of those victories, handing them to.... Lucky Old Contador!
  • Crankbrother
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Conversely, if Levi had won those, with Bert 2nd, he would have been stripped of those victories, handing them to.... Lucky Old Contador!

2008 results stand ... and interestingly it seems that Levi was the only one doping on Disco in 2007 ...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I see an opportunity for a Snakes and Ladders-stylie cycling doping board game
  • Crankbrother
    ^ Snakes and Leaders?
  • ocdupalais
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I see an opportunity for a Snakes and Ladders-stylie cycling doping board game

But with no ladders - only snakes? Even the Fizik saddle adverts for Basso say he's a snake...