Different size locking nuts

13»

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    wow, yes, did you read that on Parktools?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Generally, on a hardtail, I would just add one link.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I would fit the chain on small-small to be as long as possible with some tension in the rear dearilleur, then check on big-big.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    That's not a good way. If your mech is boaderline over on capacity then it can rip it off, hence why advice is always the other way around.
  • drlodge
    That's not a good way. If your mech is boaderline over on capacity then it can rip it off, hence why advice is always the other way around.

Can you explain whaty you mean by "boaderline over on capacity"? I don't see how the chain can be "ripped off" if setup like this on small-small:

rearsmall.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    There's only so much slack in a chain. Say you have a 40 big sprocket on the rear and 50t up front (unlikely I know, but for illustration) so likely 29t difference in the rear and similar on the front. This would mean that from little-little to big-big the mech needs to cope with 50+t difference which none can afaik. Hence why big-big means this is factored in and if the mech wasn't upto the required capacity then it would just be slack in the smaller cogs rather than taught and ripping the mech off and causing mayhem with everything else. Extreme I know - but that's why big-big.
  • drlodge
    There's only so much slack in a chain. Say you have a 40 big sprocket on the rear and 50t up front (unlikely I know, but for illustration) so likely 29t difference in the rear and similar on the front. This would mean that from little-little to big-big the mech needs to cope with 50+t difference which none can afaik. Hence why big-big means this is factored in and if the mech wasn't upto the required capacity then it would just be slack in the smaller cogs rather than taught and ripping the mech off and causing mayhem with everything else. Extreme I know - but that's why big-big.

OK, I assumed the rear derailleur has enough capacity :roll: But with rubez, I should learn not to make such assumptions :wink:
    Find me on Strava
  • rubez
    rubez Posts: 323
    drlodge wrote:
    OK, I assumed the rear derailleur has enough capacity :roll: But with rubez, I should learn not to make such assumptions :wink:

Eh... if it weren't for me you'd be fitting your chains incorrectly.

School's out.
  • cooldad
    You invented the right way to size a chain.
    Whodathunkit?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubez
    Just checked my chain on big-big, and it has 4 extra links.

Considering it should only be one extra link on a hard tail, may this have been causing some of the problems... i.e. chain wonkiness?
  • Chunkers1980
    What's chain wonkiness?
  • rubez
    Does anyone have any input?

Also, what happens if your perfect chain length happens to be two same bits - that the pin can't go through?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    rubez wrote:
    what happens if your perfect chain length happens to be two same bits - that the pin can't go through?

seriously....?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rubez
    No, I like wasting my time as much as you do...
  • Chunkers1980
    Glad you're not serious.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    rubez wrote:
    No, I like wasting my time as much as you do...

Seriously....read f.ing Parktools!!!!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rubez
    Done.

Without parktools.
  • cooldad
    You welded them together?
    I don't do smileys.