Different size locking nuts

rubez
rubez Posts: 323
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I am trying to get a cassette off a wheel, though the locking nut doesn't fit. it is too big.

I have a cassette from an old bike, I guess I can't use that cassette? It looks like the gears are closer together on that one...

Why doesn't the locking ring fit both cassettes, even though they are both Shimano. Do I need different sizes or what?

Thanks.

edit: the locking nut I have is Parktools CO. FR - 5, which fits Shimano Hyperglide HG.

I need a nut to fit Shimano MF-TZ20

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    edited April 2014
    rubez wrote:
    I am trying to get a cassette off a wheel, though the locking nut doesn't fit. it is too big.

I have a cassette from an old bike, I guess I can't use that cassette? It looks like the gears are closer together on that one...

Why doesn't the locking ring fit both cassettes, even though they are both Shimano. Do I need different sizes or what?

Thanks.

Are they both cassettes? or is one a screw on freewheel?

In reply to your edit, that is not a cassette but a freewheel.

http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep one is cassette, the other a freewheel and require different tools.
  • rubez
    I see, I have a Mavic wheel, with splines on it, so I need to buy a cassette that fits that?

My old cassette has 7 gear tiers on it, and the bike it is going on only has 6 tiers, so the old one won't fit.
  • freezing77
    They are completely different things , as interchangeable as a duck and a goat irregardless of the amount of gears.

They are not both cassettes.
  • rubez
    I know I can't put in on the wheel, but can I use a cassette on a bike that came with a freewheel?
  • freezing77
    rubez wrote:
    I know I can't put in on the wheel, but can I use a cassette on a bike that came with a freewheel?

To reiterate a cassette and a freewheel are different things they are not interchangeable.

A cassette will not fit on a hub designed for a screw on freewheel.

A freewheel will not fit on a hub designed for a slide on cassette.

The gear spacing of a 6 speed cassette and screw on freewheel are the same , the same applies for a 7 speed cassette and freewheel. But note that 6 and 7 speed spacings are different.

Therefore 6 speed gear indexing will work with a 6 speed cassette or a 6 speed freewheel.

Additionally 7 speed gear indexing will work with a 7 speed cassette or a 7 speed freewheel.

The indexing is part of the shifter design and this is what designates the number of shifts i.e. 6, 7 , 8 etc. etc.
  • rubez
    Ok, thanks.

The wheel I want to use takes cassettes, not freewheel, so I need to find a 6-speed cassette, except I don't see any of those - with 7-speed cassettes being the lowest amount of gears available.

I not that on my 9-speed cassette, 2 separate gears came off, so I guess that could be a 7, 8 or 9-speed cassette, depending on how many gear rings you put on(?)

So what do I need to buy now that I need a 6-speed cassette, and none are available?

By the sounds of it, I can't just but a 7, and take one ring off, cause 6 and 7 speed cassettes have different spacings you said?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    rubez wrote:
    Ok, thanks.

I noticed that on my 9-speed cassette, 2 separate gears came off, so I guess that could be a 7, 8 or 9-speed cassette, depending on how many gear rings you put on(?)

No, it can't. It's a 9 speed no matter what. The rings are placed closer together, require a narrower 9 speed chain and the derailleur will only move the chain the right distances when attached to a 9 speed shifter. You can't use 7, 8 or 9 speed cassettes/freewheels with anything other than their respective shifters and chains.
  • rubez
    Can you get 6-speed cassettes anymore?

Can't find any.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    rubez wrote:

Can't find any.

You must look for things people don use anymore and ask question about them. Quite an art.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    rubez wrote:

Can't find any.

I don't think they existed in the first place. 7 speed systems came along just as they dumped the old screw on freewheel design in favour of the newer press on cassette system instead. Which is why 7 speeds exist in both freewheel and cassette form but anything lower than 7 is all freewheel and anything above is all cassettes.
  • rubez
    Ok, so what is wrong with using a 7-speed cassette then (on a bike designed for a 6-speed freewheel, but using a wheel with a cassette-type hub)

Can it technically been done?
  • rubez
    I can get a Shimano HG20 in two different ratios

12-28T, or 12-32T

Would one ratio be more suitable than the other?
  • Chunkers1980
    rubez wrote:
    Ok, so what is wrong with using a 7-speed cassette then (on a bike designed for a 6-speed freewheel, but using a wheel with a cassette-type hub)

Can it technically been done?

Nothing as long as the O.L.D fits the frame and everything else matches as it should
  • Chunkers1980
    rubez wrote:
    I can get a Shimano HG20 in two different ratios

12-28T, or 12-32T

Would one ratio be more suitable than the other?

Have a think about it and do the calculations
  • rubez
    What's the OLD? Is it likely to fit?

Also, on the different ratios, I have no idea.

What does the 28T and 32T represent?
  • Chunkers1980
    Google will let you know
  • rubez
    Stupid riddles, I wanted to order it ASAP to get a chance of getting out on the bike this week.

I'll find out elsewhere. You can withhold your knowledge like a maverick.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    O.L.D = Over Locknut Dimension basically the width of the hub and the frame. Its awkward 6 speed freewheel is iirc 126mm. 7 speed cassette is either 130mm or 135mm and used to cause lots of fun back in the days when I had hair. If its a steel frame 5 mm over or under is no problem its flexible enough to wiggle the wheel in.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I believe Parktools is quite useful.
    And Sheldon Brown's website, the dead beardie guy.

All manner of useful information.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubez
    stubs wrote:
    O.L.D = Over Locknut Dimension basically the width of the hub and the frame. Its awkward 6 speed freewheel is iirc 126mm. 7 speed cassette is either 130mm or 135mm and used to cause lots of fun back in the days when I had hair. If its a steel frame 5 mm over or under is no problem its flexible enough to wiggle the wheel in.

If O.L.D. is on the wheel itself, then the wheel does fit on the frame (no cassette installed on it though)

So I am reading about a friction shifter. Sounds like an incremental type dependent on how much you ratchet it up, as opposed to a definite 'click' shifter. Is that what I need?

Or can i adjust the tension on the gear cable and simply have an extra cog of gears that won't get used?
  • supersonic
    List all the parts you have and model numbers.
  • rubez
    OK so I have the cassette, but it is too small depth wise for the wheel. There seems to be room for one more ring of gears, the spine of the wheel protudes out without 8 gears (only 7) so the lock ring won't hold the cassette on.

What should I do?

I have a spare ring of gears from my old cassette that seems to fill the void. Is it OK to use that?

Thanks.
  • Chunkers1980
    Do as Supersonic suggests.
  • rubez
    Shimano HG20 7 speed 12-32T cassette on Mavic wheel with Deore hubs.
  • supersonic
    You need a 4.5mm cassette spacer. You fit it before sliding the cassette on.
  • rubez
    Ah thanks buddy will this do?

Looks like it but want to make sure :shock:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00H4WM ... X110_SY165
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, but that's expensive, I paid about £1.99 all in for one from ebay. (£4.99 for shipping when it costs about £1.30 first class - WTH!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubez
    I know rip off, but that'll do. Shipping is where they make their dough.

Thanks.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    rubez wrote:
    I know rip off, but that'll do. Suckers is where they make their dough.

Thanks.

FTFY.

Half price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cassette-Spac ... 3f3417e076

Last one I fiddled with I just used an old sprocket - worked fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools