Dear Mr Gove by Jess Green

13»

Comments

• bdu98252
    bdu98252 Posts: 171
    The girls is probably more annoyed that she has not seen her mum or dad in the last year because they were working 60 hours a week non stop as claimed on this forum :D Do the 60 hour brigade send their kids out alone whilst they are at work or is protesting now also classed as working 60 hours?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Ballysmate wrote:
    A commenter draws our attention to the following photo. Do you think this little girl is expressing her own political views or is she being indoctrinated?
    #

You don't really think that she's being taken on a school trip to protest do you? Probably her parents are teachers and she's doing this out of school or her parents might just be opposed to Gove's idiotic reforms and want their children being taught by qualified teachers as opposed to teaching assistants.
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Regardless of left/right, political indoctrination in schools is wrong.

You're right, it is. Hopefully then we won't have to see monarchist indoctrination in our schools next time there's a royal wedding or whatever.
  • finchy
    bdu98252 wrote:
    The girls is probably more annoyed that she has not seen her mum or dad in the last year because they were working 60 hours a week non stop as claimed on this forum :D Do the 60 hour brigade send their kids out alone whilst they are at work or is protesting now also classed as working 60 hours?

Clueless. Absolutely clueless.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    bdu98252 wrote:

You seem to look at the world as how you would like it..not how it is.
    your earlier post on "voluntary duties" these include sporting competitions, Xc athletics football Rugby cricket...you d rather these didn't happen? or that its not counted as "working" ?

My sister has left the NASWT as she doesn't like the politicking, she works fulltime + for a part time wage, to me she is stupid, I d never do it...but then she ll tell me how she has helped a child turn their life around or seen the school netball team win a match, how they achieved something they never thought they would by hard work and commitment.
    do you think all this should stop? to be replaced by nothing at all?

teachers cant employ additional admin workers (heads have a budget and if teachers do it for nothing.....) or let their children down, who have trained hard for weeks, only to be told, cant go, I don't want to work this w/e.

there are plenty bad teachers, I agree but maybe your teacher mates are like you and don't give a stuff about anyone but themselves?
    Just don't tar the majority who work very hard, in challenging circumstances.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Seen too many destructive inspections and ignorant inspectors to not have empathy with teachers.

Used to be said if you can't do it teach, well if you can't teach, be an inspector.

No, I am not a teacher - just annoyed at the effort and expense of such a destructive process on schools.
  • finchy
    florerider wrote:
    Seen too many destructive inspections and ignorant inspectors to not have empathy with teachers

My stepdad was once inspected and at the end of the lesson, the inspector came up to him and sheepishly said that although it was a flawless lesson, he was obliged to find some sort of fault with it, so he was just going to have to invent some minor flaw. :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    So your Stepdad punched him squarely in the face...?

Saying, 'Invent that'.
  • finchy
    Unfortunately he didn't. If he did, I think he'd have to use an Arnie-style voice to say "Invent that".
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    My wife is a trainee teacher in a secondary school - a career she has wholeheartedly chosen and will excel at. You're either born to be a great teacher or you aren't Her school - an inner city secondary academy affair in Birmingham have spent a few years working out how to run a school properly and they're not messing around. They took on 24 trainees in September and offed about 7 of them by October half-term. The rest will be weedled out as they offer NQT positions. In total I expect that they will retain probably 6 of the original 24. Admittedly some of those who haven't survived the cut made it clear they didn't want a job next year. Put simply the school in question expects a lot from their staff. The students' grades, student teachers assessment and overall league tables are streets ahead of what the rest of the LEA are doing. By 'eck is it hard.

For a bit of background my Mrs (we only got married last week, wife is still a bit strange) basically lives in Birmingham to my Nottingham in order to work at the school she chose to go to because it was the right place for her. We speak every day, sometimes for only a couple of minutes cos she's got 60 reports to write, 120 books to mark of several hours worth of lessons to plan. This is on top of the teacher training work she has to complete for the University.

A lot of the workload comes from the parents. Just one example: Father takes child to foreign land to see family for 8 weeks - mostly school term time. Father then visits the school asking to speak to teachers x, y and z. He then proceeds to ask why his kid hasn't raised his levels and what x, y and z will do in order to help the kid. He makes it clear that he expects lunch time/after school make up sessions. Thankfully in this situation the head teacher politely handed him an envelope containing all the work little Mustapha missed rather than passing it back to the teachers.

I know several other teachers, some from from my time working in a school as support staff. I used to work as a lab technician in a secondary school and often received emails from teachers asking about equipment and resources well past 10 pm. This told me that they were working until that time and maybe beyond.

Primary school teachers have it just as bad.

I can tell you now that if she puts half the effort into our marriage that she puts into work, I will be a very happy man indeed.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,817
    Shwat happens when you make school so competitive.

The older I get the more the heavy emphasis of results below the age of 16 or even 18 looks counter productive for the system.
  • bdu98252
    bdu98252 Posts: 171
    mamba80 wrote:
    bdu98252 wrote:

You seem to look at the world as how you would like it..not how it is.
    your earlier post on "voluntary duties" these include sporting competitions, Xc athletics football Rugby cricket...you d rather these didn't happen? or that its not counted as "working" ?

My sister has left the NASWT as she doesn't like the politicking, she works fulltime + for a part time wage, to me she is stupid, I d never do it...but then she ll tell me how she has helped a child turn their life around or seen the school netball team win a match, how they achieved something they never thought they would by hard work and commitment.
    do you think all this should stop? to be replaced by nothing at all?

teachers cant employ additional admin workers (heads have a budget and if teachers do it for nothing.....) or let their children down, who have trained hard for weeks, only to be told, cant go, I don't want to work this w/e.

there are plenty bad teachers, I agree but maybe your teacher mates are like you and don't give a stuff about anyone but themselves?
    Just don't tar the majority who work very hard, in challenging circumstances.

My wife helps with Brownies but she would not post on this forum that her work life balance is wrong because instead of working 37 hours a week she has to work 42 hours a week. Likewise when we are teaching people to sail down the local sailing club I don't class this as work either. Volunteering is exactly that as should not be part of any negotiation with a government as to how hard you work.

We probably do agree on one thing in that teachers working over 40 hours a week on average is not conducive to good education for children as the teacher is probably annoyed with their job and delivering at best a very tired performance. Where we disagree is that the current 50-50 split of teaching time versus lesson planning and marking is not adequate. 19 hours of teaching in a 40 hour week should be achievable by your average teacher and if not then something within the system needs to change. If we followed the logic on this forum where nothing in the system can be changed then to bring hours down then teaching time would have to say be reduced to 13 hours so that the teachers can spend the remaining 27 hours on the above.

Teaching is a career and maybe the government looks at hours over the year. So if you want to work 40 hours a week then you can do this with 8 weeks holiday a year as per most jobs or you can work longer hours in term time and keep the holidays clearer. The government has a budget for education and currently that is spent the way it is. If you want it to change then put forward a proposition as to how you think it should change within the budget or pony up and start giving voluntary tax contribution and lead by example. I am sure everyone else will follow.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    ...not really worth (an extensive) reply, you dont have a grasp of reality
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d13gX-1HJg4

Something that I think the teachers on here may enjoy.