Why I always wear one

Comments

• menthel wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    NONE of the data stands close scrutiny for either side. All the old crap arguments are being wheeled out. Please make it stop....

Agreed, the data is totally inconclusive. A helmet will only protect you (perhaps- its what they are designed and legally specced for) if you do something silly like fall off your bike and other low energy whoopsies. It will be a crushed as your skull is in a high energy collision such as a coming together with a car or tipper truck.

And you all smell of wee wee.

image.png

Mmm, head bread...

That's a mighty vociferous sandwich.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    menthel wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    NONE of the data stands close scrutiny for either side. All the old crap arguments are being wheeled out. Please make it stop....

Agreed, the data is totally inconclusive. A helmet will only protect you (perhaps- its what they are designed and legally specced for) if you do something silly like fall off your bike and other low energy whoopsies. It will be a crushed as your skull is in a high energy collision such as a coming together with a car or tipper truck.

And you all smell of wee wee.

image.png

Mmm, head bread...

That's a mighty vociferous sandwich.

That would be the sandwich you'd have if money were no object.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Sandwich thread is over there
    arrow-2-pointnig-both-ways-left-and-right-748162.jpg
    Which is better a bread helmet or a tin foil helmet? What about bread in tin foil?
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    FFS You lot are utterly unbeliveable. The first line of my post was "I don't want to start a helmet debate here. That's not the purpose of this post, but rather to tell you of my incident yesterday, but you are obvious too fecking stupid to understand that !!! Rather it's you who have turned it into a helmet issue. Not me !!!

I was simply relaying my salutary tale of my accident at the weekend, and how, but for the helmet the result of my accident would have been worse. But you prefer to get the flame throwers out.

Did you flame 'Optmiticbiker' with the same fervour when he told his tale of his accident ??

Continue to flame away in your retarded manner if you wish. I'm outta here.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    was it only yesterday? pleased you are ok and thanks for sharing...
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Can I have your stuff?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Dog Breath wrote:

Did you flame 'Optmiticbiker' with the same fervour when he told his tale of his accident ??

No. No we didn't.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Dog Breath wrote:
    FFS You lot are utterly unbeliveable. The first line of my post was "I don't want to start a helmet debate here. That's not the purpose of this post, but rather to tell you of my incident yesterday, but you are obvious too ******* stupid to understand that !!! Rather it's you who have turned it into a helmet issue. Not me !!!

I was simply relaying my salutary tale of my accident at the weekend, and how, but for the helmet the result of my accident would have been worse. But you prefer to get the flame throwers out.

Son,

-73153822905_xlarge_zps5b18ff24.jpeg
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Dog Breath wrote:
    FFS You lot are utterly unbeliveable. The first line of my post was "I don't want to start a helmet debate here
    Yeah but that's like starting with "I'm not racist but..."
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sandwich thread is over there
    [...]

There's a sandwich thread in Cake Stop, but it looks too NSFW to open - clicky
    OP wrote:
    [...]Continue to flame away in your retarded manner if you wish. I'm outta here.[...]
    I think I've a couple of squares to fill in
    large.jpg
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I love the word flounce.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I don't want to sound unsympathetic, here. That's not the purpose of this post, but rather to tell you of my insensitivity yesterday.
    Dog Breath wrote:
    FFS You lot are utterly unbeliveable. ...I was simply relaying my salutary tale of my accident at the weekend, and how, but for the helmet the result of my accident would have been worse. ...
    Ah, you seem to have missed the point. Your tale was not, in fact, salutory, though we are all very pleased that you are not injured. On the other hand, it's run to more than three pages of postings so far and you still seem to think that there's a clear lesson to be drawn from your experience. Maybe the head injury was more serious than you thought? It's possible that you have suffered a diffuse axonal injury, maybe brought about through a helmet-induced rotation of the head during your fall?

Oh, too late... Nevermind...

Cheers,
    W. (deeply hoping the OP is not, in any way, injured, or this post will be in spectacularly poor taste...!)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Dog Breath wrote:

You started it.
    I think comparing yourself being a little sore and bruised to someone that has had catastrophic and life changing injuries is in bad taste to put it mildly. Previously it was a bit of light hearted banter now you are the one being childish. Yes take your toys and flounce somewhere else please.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Dog Breath wrote:
    I don't want to start a helmet debate here.
    Dog Breath wrote:
    I know for sure that I would not be sitting here typing this and would be in hospital, or worse, and that the helmet saved me from more serious damage.

I call shenanigans...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Dog Breath wrote:

not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

He's totally here, just keeping really still so you can't see him. :lol:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Dog Breath wrote:
    I don't want to start a helmet debate here.
    Dog Breath wrote:
    I know for sure that I would not be sitting here typing this and would be in hospital, or worse, and that the helmet saved me from more serious damage.

I call shenanigans...

"Shenanigan's speaking, who's there?"
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Agent57 wrote:
    Can I have your stuff?

All his stuff...? That's a bit greedy. :roll:

He should list what he has and we should divide it up according to needs. 8)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Who's claiming his helmet? It's saved one life already!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    Glad to read another informed helmet thread :lol:

Where's a mod when you need one...? :wink:

FFS, we don't want one of them lurking - all the fun would be taken out of it, or worse...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Hey Pina, any chance you can give me a quick resume of the salient points of this thread so I can get involved without reading all the previous pages?
  • Mikey23
    I think the gist of it is that helmets are jolly useful if you decide to ride into a concrete buttress but pretty much useless in any other situation...
  • pinno
    Hey Pina, any chance you can give me a quick resume of the salient points of this thread so I can get involved without reading all the previous pages?

Mikey summed it up really except neglecting the bit about another famous thread about lids which went a bit silly too (funny that). So we're all a bit fed up of the whole helmet malarkey. But hey, same old sh1t chucked at the fan and as they say, when the sh1t hits the fan - duck*.

*There are exceptions though, when the word 'duck' is shouted out here, many people pop their heads up.
    It's great, I love it.
  • Mikey23
    and if helmets were any good, i wouldnt have broken my collar bone. so that proves it, innit...
  • pinno
    Mikey23 wrote:
    and if helmets were any good, i wouldnt have broken my collar bone. so that proves it, innit...

You be careful out there Mikey 'cos if you go sliding down the road again, you may cause sparks.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Hey Pina, any chance you can give me a quick resume of the salient points of this thread so I can get involved without reading all the previous pages?

Mikey summed it up really except neglecting the bit about another famous thread about lids which went a bit silly too (funny that). So we're all a bit fed up of the whole helmet malarkey. But hey, same old sh1t chucked at the fan and as they say, when the sh1t hits the fan - duck*.

*There are exceptions though, when the word 'duck' is shouted out here, many people pop their heads up.
    It's great, I love it.

When they pop their heads up are they wearing helmets and are they tweed?

I thought about getting a tweed helmet for when I ride in the countryside, you've got to blend in you know, I'm also trying to source a pair of plus fours with a padded insert.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Agent57
    cyd190468 wrote:
    if you are going to have a law it is much easier to enforce as a black and white law with no exceptions

Good job we don't have such a law in the UK then, and long may it remain that way.

My last head injury happened at home, when an ammo box fell off a shelf above me.

l42ug.jpg

The clear and obvious conclusion is that I should wear a lid around the house.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Another difference in our opinions may stem from the fact that here in Australia we have much more stringent design rules for helmets and a testing regimen that involves 15 different tests including penetrative tests which is where many helmets fail.

And still the death rate of your cyclists is going up?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Agent57 wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    if you are going to have a law it is much easier to enforce as a black and white law with no exceptions

Good job we don't have such a law in the UK then, and long may it remain that way.

My last head injury happened at home, when an ammo box fell off a shelf above me.

l42ug.jpg

The clear and obvious conclusion is that I should wear a lid around the house.

Er, no, the clear and obvious conclusion is to learn to put things on the shelf properly in the first place. Judging by the other scar on your bonce you have difficulty with that! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Agent57
    Er, no, the clear and obvious conclusion is to learn to put things on the shelf properly in the first place. Judging by the other scar on your bonce you have difficulty with that! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Well, I was being sarcastic. ;) The other scar comes from when I was a toddler and my mum dropped a cup on my head. I think it was accidental. :D
  • pinno
    arran77 wrote:

It's great, I love it.

When they pop their heads up are they wearing helmets and are they tweed?

I thought about getting a tweed helmet for when I ride in the countryside, you've got to blend in you know, I'm also trying to source a pair of plus fours with a padded insert.

...and a reinforced bowler hat for the city, a titanium lined Trilby for the suburbs. This could catch on. How British, how quaint? Why not a tea rack for the front of your bike with wicker paniers for Tiffin?