Disc or not?

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    The Spyre does look a better solution than the avid. I had nothing but arse ache from the BB7s I had with regards adjustment etc.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    TGOTB wrote:
    One observation from running hydraulic discs on the CX bike for half a season (and cable-activated discs before then): Once you have them installed, hydraulics are lower maintenance. I was probably replacing brake and rear mech cables monthly once it got muddy, despite using supposedly sealed ones, but once I switched to hydraulics the brake cable maintenance totally disappeared. For this reason, I'd be tempted to steer clear of something like the HyRd, because you're losing out on a lot of the benefits of hydraulics (especially as it sounds like the self-adjust feature on HyRds is a bit limited).

I've been using the HyRd and I think it's awesome. For commuting (in pretty horrid conditions) I've not had cable issues. I did have problems with the adjustor on my rear BB7 seizing up (because I almost never use the brake so almost never adjust it). I think if you've got discs already and want to upgrade, HyRd is a great way to go.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I ought add that I had to replace my rear BB5 as the inboard adjuster had seized, and I suspect that this is a risk with any cable disc with a static pad (so not dual piston designs such as Spyre & Hy/Rd).
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    ... I hated the weary bearings of Ultra Torque ...
    A little OT but: I have 2 bikes with Ultra Torque (Chorus), and each one after around 6,000km, were exhibiting signs of shot BB bearings, me not impressed. I looked into the whole bearing topic and found that bearings are very much "you get what you pay for". I eventually ordered some"ceramic hybrid" "yellow seal" grade 5 bearings from Boca Bearing Company, USD80 per pair of Ultra Torque-fit, plus a bit of customs. On dis-assembling the original Campag-supplied bearings, they were indeed in a terrible state, but then a lot of my riding is in gritty, wet weather, so perhaps fair enough?
    Ugo just built me a wheel, and in the process of changing chain and fitting cassette I've had an opportunity to see the progress of these Boca bearings one year on, now with about 10,000km on them. They are still perfectly smooth. I checked the other bike, and same story, no apparent bearing degradation at all after far more km than it took the OEM ones to get completely worn out.
    Message: Campag's OEM bearings, for Chorus at least, are very low quality, and actually a disgrace.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    menthel wrote:
    The Spyre does look a better solution than the avid. I had nothing but ars* ache from the BB7s I had with regards adjustment etc.

I wouldn't call turning a ratchet a few degrees every other week as a amjor ache... I have had BB7 and really it's a case of adjusting them when the lever throw is excessive... it takes what, 30 seconds?
    left the forum March 2023
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    What puts me off is the noise from pads skimming discs, or when gravel gets in there. On the MTB I live with it but I like my road bike to be silent!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    What puts me off is the noise from pads skimming discs, or when gravel gets in there. On the MTB I live with it but I like my road bike to be silent!

my wifes hybrid does that as does my MTBs which drives her nuts.
  • I have them on my fixie for commuting, so much better, also consider the muck from rim brakes are a real faff. I would love to replace the winter bike for one with discs when it finally falls to pieces. One day the canyon I am sure will be replaced with a disc equipped 6.8kg machine but a few more years development is needed before we're quite there...
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2014
    I have them on my fixie for commuting, so much better, also consider the muck from rim brakes are a real faff. I would love to replace the winter bike for one with discs when it finally falls to pieces. One day the canyon I am sure will be replaced with a disc equipped 6.8kg machine but a few more years development is needed before we're quite there...
    Can't be that far off; my CX bike is currently about 7.5kg, and that includes Clement PDX clinchers at 700g a pair and 420g of M520 pedals. With the Speedplays and GP4000s off my road bike it'd be knocking on the door of 7kg.

Having gone from Avid BB7s -> TRP Spyres -> TRP Parabox, my experience was that the Sypres are a lot easier to live with than the BB7s, especially keeping adjusted and changing the pads. The Parabox is quite a bit easier again (literally the only thing you ever have to do is change the pads) but it's a right palaver to set up in the first place.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    menthel wrote:
    The Spyre does look a better solution than the avid. I had nothing but ars* ache from the BB7s I had with regards adjustment etc.

I wouldn't call turning a ratchet a few degrees every other week as a amjor ache... I have had BB7 and really it's a case of adjusting them when the lever throw is excessive... it takes what, 30 seconds?

If mine had worked like that I would have been happy! The premise was fine but the execution on the set I had left something to be desired.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • For a commuting road bike, every fibre of your head will say "discs".

Heart will say "Ugly. Want callipers".

Heart wins. That's life. :wink:

rower63 wrote:
    A little OT but: I have 2 bikes with Ultra Torque (Chorus), and each one after around 6,000km, were exhibiting signs of shot BB bearings, me not impressed. I looked into the whole bearing topic and found that bearings are very much "you get what you pay for". I eventually ordered some"ceramic hybrid" "yellow seal" grade 5 bearings from Boca Bearing Company, USD80 per pair of Ultra Torque-fit, plus a bit of customs. On dis-assembling the original Campag-supplied bearings, they were indeed in a terrible state, but then a lot of my riding is in gritty, wet weather, so perhaps fair enough?
    Ugo just built me a wheel, and in the process of changing chain and fitting cassette I've had an opportunity to see the progress of these Boca bearings one year on, now with about 10,000km on them. They are still perfectly smooth. I checked the other bike, and same story, no apparent bearing degradation at all after far more km than it took the OEM ones to get completely worn out.
    Message: Campag's OEM bearings, for Chorus at least, are very low quality, and actually a disgrace.

I used to chew through square taper Veloce BBs like the bearings were made of rolled up bogies. Switched to square taper Chorus and never looked back. Never progressed to UT though. SRAM ceramics are pretty good, IME.

Campy bearings can certainly be variable.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Use dics? Well whenever it's wet my mate can't cycle with me, as whenever I brake he just goes sailing past with a "aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGggggggggghhhhhhhhhh............" sound
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    For a commuting road bike, every fibre of your head will say "discs".

Heart wins. That's life :wink:

Are you trying to take Boff's crown of biggest tart on BR?
    Or is it a tiara?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    As I see it, disc brakes are better than calipers when they are on but calipers are better than discs when they are off!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    So, if you were building a new drop bar bike for commuting would you definitely go down the disc route or are you more than happy to use rim brakes?

I'd definitely probably want discs. At least, if I went with rim brakes, they would have to be standard brakes, not the God-awful V-brakes I have that are utter crap with STI levers.

The thing that puts me off is the idea that mechanical discs aren't that much better than decent side-pulls, and hydraulic discs aren't really available in my price range.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have discs on some bikes, rim brakes on others. Only lately have discs become good enough for me to consider, and even then, on my road machine, (though are Vs) they are plenty good enough.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    I've been commuting a Boardman with hydraulic discs since late 2009 and for me it's absolutely the right way to go. Reliability, fit and forget, stopping in the wet, modulation, no wheel wear etc etc. I'm still on the original rims, discs and brake fluid FCS :)

Unless you're a weight weenie which should not be a top priority for commuting, the only downside I can see for the OP is that drop bar hydraulics are still quite pricey (my bike a flat bar jobbie so just uses mountain bike brakes). but that will change as the technology filters down to the cheaper groupsets.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    For a commuting road bike, every fibre of your head will say "discs".

Heart wins. That's life :wink:

Are you trying to take Boff's crown of biggest tart on BR?
    Or is it a tiara?

Take his crown?

He's not fit to carry the train of my dress!

He is nothing but a lady(boy)-in-waiting.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    You're just making matters worse for yourself Mr 66

I will be taking photos of the whole horrific LBL mess, you'd had better not lose that scalp yet again, its getting to be quite a habit now.

What was it 2-3 hours ...?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    When quality road bike hydraulic disc set-ups are available at a reasonable price. Until then, rim brakes suit my needs just fine.
  • ugo.santalucia
    When quality road bike hydraulic disc set-ups are available at a reasonable price. Until then, rim brakes suit my needs just fine.

People seem to think hydraulics will do miracles. IME a mechanical system is more than adequate and is easier to service. Hydraulics have a couple of interesting features, like the alignment of the pads, the alleged better modulation and increased force applied to the pads per froce applied to the lever, but you don't need any of that

1) Pads adjustment is a weekly or fortnightly activity, just like pumping up your tyres, it only requires a few seconds
    2) I find modulation on mechanical discs excellent
    3) The force applied with the cable is already pretty good, making it better means also swapping to bigger tyres with more grip.

What is really needed is a road lever with better leverage, which pulls more cable!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    What is really needed is a road lever with better leverage, which pulls more cable!

Er, wouldn't a road lever with more leverage actually pull less cable but with a greater force? :wink:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    1) Pads adjustment is a weekly or fortnightly activity, just like pumping up your tyres, it only requires a few seconds
    Unless you're riding in conditions where the pads wear down very quickly. For instance, I did a cross race last year with cable brakes, where the brakes went from perfectly adjusted to completely unusable in less than half an hour; I ended up braking with my heels. Once I switched to hydraulics that issue went away.

Cables deteriorate as they get contaminated, whereas hydraulics don't have that issue. How many times have you replaced a cable and noticed how much better the brakes were? With hydraulics that goes away, they always perform like new.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ugo.santalucia
    drlodge wrote:

Er, wouldn't a road lever with more leverage actually pull less cable but with a greater force? :wink:

I said better, not more... :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604

Not for me - discs on road bikes look rather cool - IMO :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    TGOTB wrote:
    Unless you're riding in conditions where the pads wear down very quickly. For instance, I did a cross race last year with cable brakes, where the brakes went from perfectly adjusted to completely unusable in less than half an hour; I ended up braking with my heels. Once I switched to hydraulics that issue went away.

Cables deteriorate as they get contaminated, whereas hydraulics don't have that issue. How many times have you replaced a cable and noticed how much better the brakes were? With hydraulics that goes away, they always perform like new.

Yeah but Cross is nearer to MTB than commuting so, for this discussion, is a bit irrelevant. A few laps of the Puffer course will wipe out a set of MTB pads. The same pads will last me all winter on the MTB for commuting.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not for me - discs on road bikes look rather cool - IMO :)

Centurion%20Gigadrive%2001.jpg

Bianchi%20Oltre%20XR2%201.jpg

and one for Greg

Ceepo%20Viper%20-%20side.JPG
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • ugo.santalucia
    TGOTB wrote:

I know... but we have to be honest here... look at the cyclocross section of this forum... there is you and another guy... the rest of the world buy cross bikes to show them on the forum and to ride them through the local woods when it's not too muddy and never race them... Nys and Stybar use cantis and so should you... :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I know... but we have to be honest here... look at the cyclocross section of this forum... there is you and another guy... the rest of the world buy cross bikes to show them on the forum and to ride them through the local woods when it's not too muddy and never race them... Nys and Stybar use cantis and so should you... :wink:
    :oops:
    Talking of which I should get out for another ride with you, assuming my legs and lungs can stand it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    You don't want to look at mine - other than when it's got Christmas lights on - it's nothing special. I bought it because I wanted a "do it all" bike with drop bars - and that's exactly what it is ... :)