Disc or not?

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
So, if you were building a new drop bar bike for commuting would you definitely go down the disc route or are you more than happy to use rim brakes?

I'm having a dilemma :D

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I have gone the disc route 5 years ago and can't think of a single good reason to go back to rim brakes... mind you, I am not a weight weenie.... it's pretty damn hard to build a road bike with discs that weighs less than 8-9 Kg
    left the forum March 2023
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My most recent commuter has discs. Glad I did it just for the cold wet days.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If I can get the bike I want on C2W in a few months then my Kaffenback will go SS with discs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lots of variables. Eg discs make increasing sense the heavier you are, the wetter your climate, the hillier your terrain, the more frequently you need to brake.

Eg in my case I weigh nack all so rim brakes are plenty powerful, the climate is pretty dry so there aren't many wet days and the traffic isn't that stop starty. On the other hand, the final stretch of my commute home involves braking from 30-40mph to a standstill on a descent and I suspect that one bit of road costs me a small fortune in brake pads when we get a week or two of dirty wet roads. But then the same brakes are weighing me down less on the way up the hill in the morning.

I suspect if I was buying new I'd still stick with rim brakes just because they are less capable of being annoying than disc brakes but if I lived elsewhere it might be a different story.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'd like disc brakes although I've never really used them ...
    I can see the temptation to go with them on a new build/bike, but for me I'd probably be swayed to rim brakes because I can swap wheelsets with my existing sets (all rim brakes). I use a CX as a commuter (usually, but getting used to the clip-on aero bars so taking that bike instead atm) and as it's road all the way I like slicks - but I also use it for family rides which tends to have a bit of off road - so swap over to the more suitable CX tyres for that - using a second wheelset makes that swap quick and easy ...
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Wot Rolf said.
    If you're in the horrible muck (or on the brakes) all the time then they're great, mainly 'cos I don't like spending money on rims.
    But if the "perfect" bike for you doesn't take discs, I'd still go for it.
    All other things being equal, I'd go for discs, anyway.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    For a commuter discs make a lot of sense if only because you'll be riding in all sorts of conditions all year and it's in poor conditions where disc excel over rim brakes.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I've got disc brakes on my commuter/tourer and I think they're awesome. Its great to have no loss of performance in the wet, especially when you're carrying a load. I'd miss them if I went back to rim brakes for that kind of riding. I don't see much need for discs on my road bike, though it would have been nice to have had them for La Marmotte (multiple punctures due to hot rims heat causing the inner tube to herniate past dodgy rim tape into the spoke holes).
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Discs all the way for me.
    Better braking in all conditions, no rim wear, much less issues with buckled rims, easier to remove/replace wheels.

I doubt I'll ever buy a new bike with rim brakes again.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ugo.santalucia
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    easier to remove/replace wheels.

I tend to disagree with this... I find fitting the rear can be a bit of a faff... with the rotor displacing the pads, or not wanting to get in the slot... it might take a minute at times... definitely not something a mechanic would want to do at the Tour de France
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My fair weather bike here in Amsterdam is the Foil and, because I hardly ever need to brake, rim brakes are fine. But, because I've been away from the Volagi for weeks at a time, when is jump back on it in Scotland, the disc brakes always really impress themselves upon me - they're awesome. So:

Amsterdam - Foil, standard double, 12-23 cassette, rim brakes
    Inverness - Volagi, compact, 11-28 cassette, discs

I'm a huge fan of disc brakes and would always go for them if I was in any sort of doubt.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    easier to remove/replace wheels.

I tend to disagree with this... I find fitting the rear can be a bit of a faff... with the rotor displacing the pads, or not wanting to get in the slot... it might take a minute at times... definitely not something a mechanic would want to do at the Tour de France

Actually, I almost wonder for the pros whether front disc and rear rim isn't the answer. As I do nearly all my disc braking through the front (and, under heavy braking, the rear locks pretty easily anyway) I could see that as an option.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ugo.santalucia
    I love the commuting forum... plenty of sensible advice here...

well, except the SCR thread of course... :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Discs for me every time. Don't you have a Boardman CX with discs? So you know the advantages and if necessary can swap wheels negating that argument for rim brakes. If I was looking to build my bike now I'd probably go hydraulic. The new Shimano hydraulics with mechanical shifting would probably be the best in terms of bang for buck. If that's too steep I'd look at TRP HyRd.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Fairly ambivalent personally. Had discs on the scourer before it was trashed and having moved to rim brakes I don't really care either way. As for the nice bike, I find that rim brakes do all I require. When it comes round to getting a new bike in future I would consider discs but it wouldn't be top of my priorities.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    105 5800 and RS758 shirley.

I am of the same position as EKE, i doubt i'll ever go back to rims braking.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • essex-commuter
    edited April 2014
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Discs for me every time. Don't you have a Boardman CX with discs? So you know the advantages and if necessary can swap wheels negating that argument for rim brakes. If I was looking to build my bike now I'd probably go hydraulic. The new Shimano hydraulics with mechanical shifting would probably be the best in terms of bang for buck. If that's too steep I'd look at TRP HyRd.

Yes I have a CX, ridden virtually every day for over 2 years now.

My dilemma. I'm sick of Shimano. My race bike used Campag and I want my next commuter to be Campag. There are a severe lack of disc wheels that are Campag compatible, but I could get one built.

So it's either buy a new rear wheel, shifters and RD for the CX or purchase a rim brake bike (been looking at Genesis T2 or TK3) and build it up with Campag.

Oh and being a tart I want a change of colour so if I kept the CX I would probably get it power coated...not the end of the world at £80 odd quid.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Ugo runs discs and Camagano or Shimagnolo or something. I think he is on Campag shifters and a Shimano rear mech, but I'm sure he can advise more.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    My new commuter's nearly finished with hydraulic discs. Will save me £70 and 2-3 hours a year replacing rims (not to say the inconvenience of having one of the rims explode in the office car park a couple of months ago).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I'd be tempted to wait until the groupset manufactuers nail it before spending any serious money to be honest... but If was buying a frame i'd try and get one that allowed future upgrades
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Had discs on my MTB and they were a revelation. If I can I would like them on my road bike too.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ugo.santalucia
    goonz wrote:
    Had discs on my MTB and they were a revelation. If I can I would like them on my road bike too.

Yes, you can!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ugo runs discs and Camagano or Shimagnolo or something. I think he is on Campag shifters and a Shimano rear mech, but I'm sure he can advise more.

I had it full Campagnolo (except the cassette) but then I hated the weary bearings of Ultra Torque and a guy brought me a used square taper Dura Ace 7410 chainset to sell... I loved it, fitted it to my bike, loved it more and kept it for myself... then the new frame needs top pull front derailleur, which only Shimano makes, that's how it became a Frankenbike
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Ha maybe I should have said, if funds allow and when I finish all my other projects i currently am tinkering with! :P
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    One observation from running hydraulic discs on the CX bike for half a season (and cable-activated discs before then): Once you have them installed, hydraulics are lower maintenance. I was probably replacing brake and rear mech cables monthly once it got muddy, despite using supposedly sealed ones, but once I switched to hydraulics the brake cable maintenance totally disappeared. For this reason, I'd be tempted to steer clear of something like the HyRd, because you're losing out on a lot of the benefits of hydraulics (especially as it sounds like the self-adjust feature on HyRds is a bit limited).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • essex-commuter
    Veronese68 wrote:

Ugo uses a JTek. It looks to me as if it would never work but obviously they do. Ugo, how's the indexing, smooth as if you were running a Campag cassette?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Veronese68 wrote:

Ugo uses a JTek. It looks to me as if it would never work but obviously they do. Ugo, how's the indexing, smooth as if you were running a Campag cassette?

Pretty smooth and faultless...
    I also use a 9 speed cassette and a 10 speed chain, to confuse you a bit further... :mrgreen:
  • essex-commuter

Pretty smooth and faultless...
    I also use a 9 speed cassette and a 10 speed chain, to confuse you a bit further... :mrgreen:

:evil: Confused as a chicken in a pillow factory.

This thread is kinda pushing me towards keeping the CX and changing over. Really good info, appreciated.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    For a commuter ride, get discs. Lets review:

The Positives:

- Better braking power & control under all conditions.
    - Braking that works when it's wet
    - No rims to replace, less wheel truing required.
    - Brake pads last longer

The Negatives:

- A little heavier. But this is a commuter - train heavy, race light!
    - Arguably harder to fettle and adjust for wear (but not in my experience)
    - Limited range of road frames & wheels suitable for disc brakes.

My commute is just as fast on my heavy disc braked commuter as it is on my carbon summer bike, for the simple reason that because I can trust my brakes more I can ride faster in traffic and in poor weather without having to leave such large stopping distances.

I would add that I replaced my Avid BB5s with TRP Spyre's and they should get a lot more love on this forum - they are the lightest cable actuated disc brakes around, they don't have the awkward inbound adjustment requirement because of the dual piston design and I don't need to worry about hydraulics going wrong.

Has anyone actually put a disc fork on a decent road bike? The idea does somewhat appeal as a halfway house given the shortage of good carbon frames with disc mounts.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Is it only me that hasn't had to replace rims or wheels ?
    Perhaps its because I don't need to brake as much as I don't commute in traffic or come across many junctions ... :)