Paris Roubaix 2014

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited April 2014 in Pro race
OK, 2014 route is now out...

http://www.letour.com/paris-roubaix/2014/us/

There are now 28 sectors compared to 27 last year, the total distance of cobbles is less at 51.1km. The difference are pretty early on, around sectors 24 to 21, from Solesmes to Quérénaing.

Excited! :D

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Greased is lit up! (but not in a druggy way...maybe... :wink: )

First time for a while that I wont be making the trip out. Sofa with beer/wine and friends, beckons.
  • Greased is lit up! (but not in a druggy way...maybe... :wink: )

Oh yes! Just need to get these warm up races completed, should be all done on Sunday. :wink:

I do wish they would bring out the route a bit earlier, doesn't leave much time to get the maps out and work out where to watch the race. Reckon I'll stick with the 2013 plan, that worked quite well.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Will you be forwarding piccies of the teams on their recce again Greased?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Sorry YP, not this year. I started a new job a few weeks back, so couldn't take as much time off. I'm just heading over on the Saturday and coming back on the Monday.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Clean-up day for the Arenburg's cobblestones!

BkT_3m_CUAE2Vju.png:large
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I'd say leave it.. :/
  • RonB
    Probably make little difference since everyone will be on the left avoiding the pavé altogether :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RonB wrote:
    Probably make little difference since everyone will be on the left avoiding the pavé altogether :?

They put fences up, you can't avoid the Pave here.
  • RonB
    A bit like this then. Fair enough :D
    arenberg.jpg
  • thomthom
    It was way more mental without the fences years ago. Arenberg is the Del Turchino of Roubaix..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love this race, it's the first race that really captured my imagination. I loved it, the pain on the riders faces as they attacked, or even just rode in the group.

I was going to go out to it this year, but managed to pick up some dates over that weekend, so sadly probably won't get to see this one.
  • RonB wrote:
    A bit like this then. Fair enough :D
    arenberg.jpg

And the bits that aren't barried, like that section of grass on the right you can see in that photo, they run a pough down it...

Tractor_Arenberg.jpg

No soft option in Arenberg. :D
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    "When you're always at the back when you get the climbs or pavé, you have to make twice the effort to get up to the front," Pozzato says. "You have to have great legs, better than the others, just to be up there in the finale. I think Wiggins will have the same problem as me, and at Paris-Roubaix, if you don't hit the Arenberg Forest in the first 40 riders, then your race is over there and then."

"Tom looks good and thin, so he's going well I reckon, and Fabian is looking strong, I think".

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/being-pippo-pozzato
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    "When you're always at the back when you get the climbs or pavé, you have to make twice the effort to get up to the front," Pozzato says. "You have to have great legs, better than the others, just to be up there in the finale. I think Wiggins will have the same problem as me, and at Paris-Roubaix, if you don't hit the Arenberg Forest in the first 40 riders, then your race is over there and then."

"Tom looks good and thin, so he's going well I reckon, and Fabian is looking strong, I think".

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/being-pippo-pozzato

I thought that was a decent interview with Pippo
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    ThomThom wrote:

Nah, sweep all the mud and crap out of the joints - it'll make it rougher :)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    RonB wrote:
    Clean-up day for the Arenburg's cobblestones!

BkT_3m_CUAE2Vju.png:large
    Pross wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Nah, sweep all the mud and crap out of the joints - it'll make it rougher :)
    Doesn't exactly look all clean and shiny and smooth after that roadsweeper does it ?

Not have him come and de-moss my patio... :)
  • Pross
    Maybe it's an industrial floor polisher.
  • Pross wrote:
    Maybe it's an industrial floor polisher.

Polished pavé, could be interesting. :D
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    This is what can happen if the pave is too slippy. :wink:

Museeuw-crash.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    1907963_467046280062569_893193032_n.png
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    After Cancellara's effort on the final Oude Kwaremont you'd put you money on him.

I suspect Tom will be much further towards the sharper end than he was in Flanders.
  • It should be a compelling race. I would presume Omega Pharma Misstep will actually manage to translate their presence into a better shot at victory this time. Not sure if Spartacus has quite the strength to double up this year, or whether he's just playing more poker with the talk of struggling with some of the gaps at RVV.
  • Pross
    I suspect OPQS will again try getting a rider in late break to allow Boonen to sit on Canc's wheel. Would love it to be Stybar and for him to go on to win.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Any London folk interested in finding somewhere to watch this?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Me and the gf make a day of it.

We get chips and tonnes of mayo and a few nice beers and watch it together.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Me and the gf make a day of it.

We get chips and tonnes of mayo and a few nice beers and watch it together.

Do you get to count that as romance? If so, I'm sure there'll be a lot of jealous people on this forum.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BkttPx5CIAAmZ97.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thomthom
    No links to 'A Sunday in Hell' yet? You lot are a disgrace.
  • I will be at Wembley while this race is on, I have a decision to make.

Think I will record it and watch it later on as live, but not sure if I can wait
  • rick_chasey
    I will be at Wembley while this race is on, I have a decision to make.

Think I will record it and watch it later on as live, but not sure if I can wait

Cyclingtorrents.