Lifestyles of the moderately well off and content with life.

Comments

• VTech wrote:
    I've always wanted my kids to want for nothing. As a kid I didn't have much and didn't want the same for them.

Most good parents want the best for their children, VTech. The hard part is knowing what is best to give them to actually achieve that.

The way I personally see it, a good education combined with a good work ethic, and a well developed sense of selflessness are the key things to raising good children. And all of those take a lot of parental time. In my experience, material comforts are much less important than many think. Material wealth gives less options down the road than a good upbringing that prioritises good values.

I worked for a large part of my career as an expat, and it was very common to see otherwise genuinely well intentioned parents substitute material possessions for their time as parents. A lot of these children turned out as spoilt brat types. On the other hand, the nicest kids seemed to me to be the ones whose parents didn't shower them with gifts, but instead made time to personally teach their children what was really important in life.

Sometimes, when you make life too easy for your children you can unintentionally do them more harm than good. Remember, it is fire that hardens the steel.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    VTech wrote:
    I've always wanted my kids to want for nothing. As a kid I didn't have much and didn't want the same for them.

Most good parents want the best for their children, VTech. The hard part is knowing what is best to give them to actually achieve that.

The way I personally see it, a good education combined with a good work ethic, and a well developed sense of selflessness are the key things to raising good children. And all of those take a lot of parental time. In my experience, material comforts are much less important than many think. Material wealth gives less options down the road than a good upbringing that prioritises good values.

I worked for a large part of my career as an expat, and it was very common to see otherwise genuinely well intentioned parents substitute material possessions for their time as parents. A lot of these children turned out as spoilt brat types. On the other hand, the nicest kids seemed to me to be the ones whose parents didn't shower them with gifts, but instead made time to personally teach their children what was really important in life.

Sometimes, when you make life too easy for your children you can unintentionally do them more harm than good. Remember, it is fire that hardens the steel.

I know your right, I've always struggled saying no to them although I have started.
    Living MY dream.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    ^
    Vtech Jnr: Dad, can I have £50?

Vtech: No ... I don't have any change.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    ^
    Vtech Jnr: Dad, can I have £50?

Vtech: No ... I don't have any change.

We don't have anything bigger than £50's down here I'm afraid.
    I do have an 18 year old that spends like a mistress though so maybe your right.
    Living MY dream.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    When I spent 5 days in hospital 18 months ago, the man in the next bed was loaded but as miserable as f**k. All his life he'd worked very hard, become a millionaire and spoilt his family rotten. When he ended up in hospital, he would only get a weekly visit and maybe a weekly phone call. He complained bitterly about how his family loved the things that he had bought for them but didn't care about him.

On my last day in there, his wife came to visit him and they had a very long talk. When she'd gone I asked him if he'd managed to sort a few things out. He said yes, he'd never realised how little time he'd made for his family, so they were just used to the fact that he wasn't around. He was still (justifiably) angry that they hadn't been to see him every day, but at the same time he was angry with himself because he only ever saw their material well-being and didn't think about whether they (or he) were actually happy.

Now, I'm sure that you're not like that VTech, but you need to be careful that you don't push things too far in that direction.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    johnfinch wrote:
    When I spent 5 days in hospital 18 months ago, the man in the next bed was loaded but as miserable as f**k. All his life he'd worked very hard, become a millionaire and spoilt his family rotten. When he ended up in hospital, he would only get a weekly visit and maybe a weekly phone call. He complained bitterly about how his family loved the things that he had bought for them but didn't care about him.

On my last day in there, his wife came to visit him and they had a very long talk. When she'd gone I asked him if he'd managed to sort a few things out. He said yes, he'd never realised how little time he'd made for his family, so they were just used to the fact that he wasn't around. He was still (justifiably) angry that they hadn't been to see him every day, but at the same time he was angry with himself because he only ever saw their material well-being and didn't think about whether they (or he) were actually happy.

Now, I'm sure that you're not like that VTech, but you need to be careful that you don't push things too far in that direction.

No wonder he was unhappy, slumming it with you on an NHS ward. Why didn't he go private? :shock:
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Combined 50k here, mortgage paid and plenty saved

Combined less than 20k here. Strangely more content than ever. :?

We are talking per month here?

No, per annum.

S'true! Are there really people that poor? I knew things were pretty dismal at the moment but I had no idea things had got that bad.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

No, per annum.

S'true! Are there really people that poor? I knew things were pretty dismal at the moment but I had no idea things had got that bad.

As others have said, it's all relative, you cut your cloth accordingly.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Pross wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

No wonder he was unhappy, slumming it with you on an NHS ward. Why didn't he go private? :shock:

He'd been in hospital for months. He preferred being on an NHS ward and getting a bit of company. Remarkably, he didn't change his mind after a few days of me in the next bed.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

No, per annum.

Perhaps you could start a collection for me? :lol:
    As I said, my income has dropped considerably but I am strangely content. There are more important things in life than money. I even got rid of my car as I realised I didn't need and no longer wanted it.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Looking out of the window on a wet and windy one not having to work today. Elbow on the bose ... Now shall I make myself a coffee or get James to do it...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Looking out of the window on a wet and windy one not having to work today. Elbow on the bose ... Now shall I make myself a coffee or get James to do it...

James? :?

I suppose this isn't the Lifestyles of the Rich and Vulgar thread otherwise it would be Jeeves!
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

No, per annum.

Perhaps you could start a collection for me? :lol:
    As I said, my income has dropped considerably but I am strangely content. There are more important things in life than money. I even got rid of my car as I realised I didn't need and no longer wanted it.
    They did some happiness studies using subjects who had significant reasons to be unhappy, such as limb amputations and very quickly their contentment/happiness returned to a similar level to what it was before. I think what it suggests is that your contentment is entirely within your own power completely irrespective of wealth and even health, though acute changes in either do stimulate changes in contentment/happiness. Anyway, when the Queen is sat on the loo for her morning constitutional she is likely no more or less contented that the rest of us.
  • Mikey23
    Forgot I had given James the morning off, had to make my own coffee...

And now a toast ... 'The queen sh*ts'
  • Mikey23
    Unless she gets a flunky to do it for her...
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I can categorically say that Her Maj makes her own tea, toast and sarnies. How do I know this you may ask. I have been her private kitchen at Windsor Castle when I was as a contractor. Not your average Wicks kitchen I may add. More like a full blown stainless steel everywhere catering job, and very big.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Mikey23
    Mugs or cup and saucer?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Mugs or cup and saucer?

Mugs. We are definitely mugs. :cry:
  • Mikey23
    Do you mean to say that some of you poor wretches don't have staff? How quaint...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Do you mean to say that some of you poor wretches don't have staff? How quaint...
    Not everyone is married...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mikey23
    Where would we be without old George ...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Don't mind me, i'm just visiting this quiet suburb to see how the other half live. Funny but it reminds me a little of Woodford Green. They'll probably move me on in a min...nee naw nee naw nee naw nee naw nee naw nee naw nee naw nee naw nee naw nee naw...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    We built a castle and a wall to keep the oiks out. Our longbows can reach the Devon border from here
  • pinno
    Mikey23 wrote:
    We built a castle and a wall to keep the oiks out. Our longbows can reach the Devon border from here

What was the name of the company you contracted to do the job - was it H Adrian, Romany Builders Inc. or did you use a Chinese one?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Mikey23 wrote:

I hear it's rough in Cornwall and all the locals

82093907.jpg
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Mikey23
    That's why I was brought in to add to the breeding stock...doesn't seem to have worked though
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    That's why I was brought in to add to the breeding stock...doesn't seem to have worked though
    I thought that's what shipwrecked French fishermen were for? Before the family sat down to a nice big roast dinner?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    Have you got webbed feet Mikey?

Whilst I am at it, you look a tad tentative in that little pic of you on your bike.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Have you got webbed feet Mikey?
    Down Mikeys way they can order 6 pints just by raising one hand.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mikey23
    You did that one :-)

Six is more than anyone can count and more than the entire native population...