Lifestyles of the moderately well off and content with life.

Mikey23
Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
edited April 2014 in The bottom bracket
Just saying...

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    It's not very exciting though is it.
  • Can't see that making it to Channel 4.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I've just ordered a new Bottom Bracket (GXP to be specific). I didn't even need to check my bank balance first, just went ahead, not a care in the world.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Yesterday I was fortunate to be able to upgrade from a snickers to a fudge doughnut.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,171
    Can someone please post the upper and lower thresholds for being able to participate in this thread. I'm having anxiety attacks as I don't know which one to post in now :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mikey23
    Yay, that's so cool...

I can afford my fuel bills and sky sports at the same time. Don't have to work today, so watching cricket from sunny places with coffee and scone in hand while it's hissing down outside. Life is sweet...
  • Mikey23
    @stevo... I think we should take the standard definition of of poverty as 60% of wages. No idea what the upper percentile is though. No idea about your state of mind though. Probably somewhere between malcontent and paranoid :-)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Can someone please post the upper and lower thresholds for being able to participate in this thread. I'm having anxiety attacks as I don't know which one to post in now :)

are we applying regional weighting too?
  • Stevo_666
    In that case I think I'll go post in the 'rich and vulgar' thread just to p1ss you off :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    Surely there should be an individal thread for those unfortunate enought to be from Yorkshire?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    In that case I think I'll go post in the 'rich and vulgar' thread just to p1ss you off :P

Remember - Picture of garage or boat for entry :lol:

Here is my garage:

http://www.pbase.com/bentleyboys/image/91180733
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Here is my garage:

Yeah right. Where's the fixie? :lol:

Does a pic of my old mota do the job?

[imgDSCF1194.jpg][/img]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    I think this is my category. My yacht is only worth £50 million and I fly first class rather than private jet. In fact my wife's Ferrari is almost a year old. But we're happy with our limited lifestyle and aware that some people are forced to travel business class and may even only have one Ferrari in the household so we accept our position in society. We do our bit for others too, my wife took some home made jam to the local school fete - we don't like to boast about it, we get a warm fuzzy feeling from doing things to help those less fortunate.
  • tlw1
    Pross wrote:
    I think this is my category. My yacht is only worth £50 million and I fly first class rather than private jet. In fact my wife's Ferrari is almost a year old. But we're happy with our limited lifestyle and aware that some people are forced to travel business class and may even only have one Ferrari in the household so we accept our position in society. We do our bit for others too, my wife took some home made jam to the local school fete - we don't like to boast about it, we get a warm fuzzy feeling from doing things to help those less fortunate.

:)

Reminds me of being at someone's house and one of the guests commented they 'couldn't believe anyone would need two dishwashers' - to which the host replied - do you need your eight Ferraris
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I run tubs on all my bikes and don't really mind if I get a puncture as I'll just raid the joint account to buy new ones. And my children go to a school where the teachers don't fight or fornicate with each other/the pupils in the toilets during lesson times.

Does this make me posh, like?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Surely there should be an individal thread for those unfortunate enought to be from Yorkshire?
    Oi.. i heard that :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I had a lump of coal from breakfast today and that did me just fine than you very much.

On a serious note, any chance there is a correlation between happiness and not having too much wealth. The most unhappy people I know have the most money.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Here is my garage:

Yeah right. Where's the fixie? :lol:

Does a pic of my old mota do the job?

[imgDSCF1194.jpg][/img]

Awesome car. Technological breakthrough for road cars that changed a lot of things for the better.
    Living MY dream.
  • Stevo_666
    VTech wrote:
    Awesome car. Technological breakthrough for road cars that changed a lot of things for the better.
    Yup. Great fun to drive and a top track day weapon - so easy to drive fast with a moderate amount of skill and bit of cojones. Would probably still have it if I hadn't stacked it at Brands Hatch right in front of a watching Tiff Needell :oops: :P
  • VTech
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Yup. Great fun to drive and a top track day weapon - so easy to drive fast with a moderate amount of skill and bit of cojones. Would probably still have it if I hadn't stacked it at Brands Hatch right in front of a watching Tiff Needell :oops: :P

Ohh :oops: any pics ?
    I smashed a car once trying to avoid hitting a badger. Totalled the car completely.
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Could have been carrying bovine tb...
  • Pross
    nathancom wrote:
    I had a lump of coal from breakfast today and that did me just fine than you very much.

On a serious note, any chance there is a correlation between happiness and not having too much wealth. The most unhappy people I know have the most money.

A couple down the road from me won £80 million on the Euros a few years ago. They'd been married years but within a couple of years of winning they were divorced. Of course it could have been they weren't getting on before but couldn't afford to separate but according to mutual friends she wanted to be based full time in the Caribbean and he wanted to split his time there and the UK, she was miserable whenever they came back. Having enough money to mean you'll never have the stress of financial difficulties and can afford some luxuries probably helps happiness but too much probably brings new problems. One thing money won't do is fix non-money related existing problems.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Pross wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

A couple down the road from me won £80 million on the Euros a few years ago. They'd been married years but within a couple of years of winning they were divorced. Of course it could have been they weren't getting on before but couldn't afford to separate but according to mutual friends she wanted to be based full time in the Caribbean and he wanted to split his time there and the UK, she was miserable whenever they came back. Having enough money to mean you'll never have the stress of financial difficulties and can afford some luxuries probably helps happiness but too much probably brings new problems. One thing money won't do is fix non-money related existing problems.
    I think there is probably something psychologically beneficial about work as well. Unemployment, however much much money you have could do your head in after a while.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,198
    I fixed the leak in my cardboard box today with candle wax. Me clever me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I fixed the leak in my cardboard box today with candle wax. Me clever me.

Don't come here with that working class chip on your shoulder - I bet it was a scented candle, you fraud! :-)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • VTech
    Pross wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

I agree, the truth is money gives you choice, nothing more, nothing less.
    Living MY dream.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,198
    I fixed the leak in the roof of my cardboard box with some scented candle wax I nicked from some bloke with a half built triple garage who was away somewhere. Me clever me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    VTech wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Ohh :oops: any pics ?
    I smashed a car once trying to avoid hitting a badger. Totalled the car completely.
    Fraid not, but someone did get a (rather crap) picture of Tiff unloading his kit with the '5th Gear' film crew. They were doing some filming of a Radical SR3.

attachment.php?attachmentid=68012&stc=1&d=1153779839
  • Pross
    nathancom wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

I think there is probably something psychologically beneficial about work as well. Unemployment, however much much money you have could do your head in after a while.

I'd prefer to think of it as early retirement rather than unemployment but then I'm a lazy git with lots of hobbies I don't have time to pursue. Plus of course all the charity work I'd do (anonymously of course).
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I treated my friend to a pasty today. Well, I thought it was going to be a pasty but he ended up eating a pain aux raisins. I had a large traditional pasty though.