Lifestyles of the moderately well off and content with life.

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Pain aux raisins are rather scrummy aren't they. With a nice latte...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Pain aux raisins are rather scrummy aren't they. With a nice latte...

Don't like coffee, but anything like pain aux raisins, pain au chocolate, pain suisse... I would move to France except it's impossible to get a decent curry over there.
  • Mikey23
    Moderately well off enough to have them sent over...
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Re. the Lottery story ...

If you have that much money you don't have to care about problems so likely never try to deal with them when they occur ...
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Can't see that making it to Channel 4.

Upstairs Downstairs.

On the Stairs (contemplatively On the Stairs)

hmmm

Modertately Well Off Recieving Just A Bit Of Family Credit Street.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    I just got y pay slip and I got a little bit of bonus and a little bit of overtime. Not big numbers, but every little bit helps. I made it to the end of the month without going into the red as well.
    Am I allowed in this thread or should I go over to the rich and vulgar one?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    This sounds like my place.

I have fairly good health, the lovely Mrs Slog and nice neighbours. I'm happy with my moderate pay (no where close to the 'nothing special' 40k :roll: ). I've got two sons who are both in work. Colour me happy and content.

The older I get, the better I was.

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Capt Slog wrote:

I have fairly good health, the lovely Mrs Slog and nice neighbours. I'm happy with my moderate pay (no where close to the 'nothing special' 40k :roll: ). I've got two sons who are both in work. Colour me happy and content.

Does Mrs Slog work ?
    Living MY dream.
  • capt_slog
    VTech wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Does Mrs Slog work ?

yup.

• VTech
    Capt Slog wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Does Mrs Slog work ?

yup.

So I guess given that the kids have moved on and your combined salary is close or over 40k you won't be in poverty but I bet you can't do as you please unless your way over. (I don't want to know what you earn) but I still think 40k doesn't afford a quality lifestyle where choice can be made without worry or concern.
    I think a family on £40k with 3 kids, mortgage and a car will worry about where the money is spent. Living in the UK is expensive and costly and is only going to get worse.
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    VTech wrote:
    I think a family on £40k with 3 kids, mortgage and a car will worry about where the money is spent. Living in the UK is expensive and costly and is only going to get worse.

It's bad enough with 2 kids so I'd be inclined to agree with you :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    Combined 50k here, mortgage paid and plenty saved
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    Get you, you big show off.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • capt_slog
    edited April 2014
    VTech wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Does Mrs Slog work ?

yup.

So I guess given that the kids have moved on and your combined salary is close or over 40k you won't be in poverty but I bet you can't do as you please unless your way over. (I don't want to know what you earn) but I still think 40k doesn't afford a quality lifestyle where choice can be made without worry or concern.

It depends upon your definition.

I've always been used to doing with little, my tastes aren't extreme, so "doing what I please" isn't the same for me as it is for you. What pleases me may be a lot more modest in its scope than what pleases you, but I can assure you that I have a quality lifestyle.

This was the point of my original post; riches are not always just financial.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Very much so.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I feel sorry for folk who are obsessed by money, they are doomed to worshipping something that will never grant them contentment and it will sour their souls. There does seem to be a divide between rich people who worship money and objects and rich people to whom wealth is not the central fact of their life.

That is not to say that poor people cannot just as easily allow themselves to be constrained by their material position in life, just that they are less likely to obnoxiously try and impress people with details of it.

These discussions always make me think of this David Foster Wallace speech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhhC_N6Bm_s, it is a brilliant dissection of emptiness of modern life.
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Very much so.

Absolutely, the old adage that money can't buy you everything is spot on.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Mikey23 wrote:

Combined less than 20k here. Strangely more content than ever. :?
  • nathancom
    VTech wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Does Mrs Slog work ?

yup.

So you are trying to make people who are moderately well off and content feel less happy with their lot. Nice one

What is your arbitrary amount of money that is enough? Enough that every family can afford a Porsche and 4 family holidays a year? Enough for a yacht or a second home in Spain? You can and should live a very happy and good life on £40k a year and simply yearning for more stuff is only going to make you less happy and probably shallower. If 7 billion people all thought this way we would be seriously buggered. Luckily only a small proportion of people are oriented so.
  • VTech
    nathancom wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Does Mrs Slog work ?

yup.

So you are trying to make people who are moderately well off and content feel less happy with their lot. Nice one

What is your arbitrary amount of money that is enough? Enough that every family can afford a Porsche and 4 family holidays a year? Enough for a yacht or a second home in Spain? You can and should live a very happy and good life on £40k a year and simply yearning for more stuff is only going to make you less happy and probably shallower. If 7 billion people all thought this way we would be seriously buggered. Luckily only a small proportion of people are oriented so.

I can't argue with you there.
    You see, as I have made out in previous posts, we probably agree on a lot of things but your anger towards me clouds that and its a shame.

Fact is, more often than not I'm not happy, I have a craving to do more, to achieve more and to do better even if what I am right now is already enough. I have never said that this is a good thing, it almost certainly isn't but thats me and the way I live. I have never ever asked anyone to live like me at all.
    If you read my posts I have made comments that explain this but stopped because people like you made trouble of it and yet you also make trouble of the other side of the coin which is odd.

I buy things and don't use them, I've no idea why. I waste and again, I've no idea why.
    I actually sold my company in december because I wanted a rest, I've worked over 20 years, 7 days weeks and missed out on loads of my kids growing up and have worked almost every day since building a new company yet there is no need.
    I can't explain it.
    Living MY dream.
  • finchy
    Maybe your problem is priorities. You say you always want to achieve more, but more of what? You say that you've missed out on loads of your kids growing up and now you are repeating the same old pattern. This is a genuine question, not a rhetorical one, as I've never met you and I don't know how much missing out you've done - do you think you're a good dad?
  • ballysmate
    Priorities change throughout your life. I spent many years making sure I earned enough to provide for my family, working many extra hours. Now my circumstances have changed, so have my priorities. I earn less but am much more content.
    My guess is that something similar will happen to most of us. Most people will have their priorities changed as they go through life.
  • VTech
    johnfinch wrote:
    Maybe your problem is priorities. You say you always want to achieve more, but more of what? You say that you've missed out on loads of your kids growing up and now you are repeating the same old pattern. This is a genuine question, not a rhetorical one, as I've never met you and I don't know how much missing out you've done - do you think you're a good dad?

Don't want this to get into a counselling type scenario but to answer. I've always wanted my kids to want for nothing. As a kid I didn't have much and didn't want the same for them.
    Having said that, last Xmas was the first time I've ever done both of my kids Xmas plays at school as I've normally been away working.
    If you asked my kids I would guess they would say I'm a good dad. Thing is, I'm not sure I have been due to lack of attention.
    Living MY dream.
  • finchy
    OK, so now you've done what you set out to do in terms of material comforts, what about spending more time with them? Or let's look at it another way, you have claimed to be unhealthy and unhappy with your life (correct me if I'm wrong) - you could be well on your way to wrecking your health permanently (I don't know how unhealthy and unhappy you are/have been/will be). Then what good will you be to your family or yourself?
  • VTech
    johnfinch wrote:
    OK, so now you've done what you set out to do in terms of material comforts, what about spending more time with them? Or let's look at it another way, you have claimed to be unhealthy and unhappy with your life (correct me if I'm wrong) - you could be well on your way to wrecking your health permanently (I don't know how unhealthy and unhappy you are/have been/will be). Then what good will you be to your family or yourself?

I'm trying. Seriously, I no longer work countless hours but can't get out of the habit of wanting to work.
    I'm definitely spending more time with them, in fact we just did a weekend away as a family and it was great. I guess it's like a smoker trying to give up. I'm getting there, it's just harder than I thought.
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    If I had the means to do it, work would be the last thing I'd spend my life doing :wink:

seanoconn
  • nathancom
    arran77 wrote:
    If I had the means to do it, work would be the last thing I'd spend my life doing :wink:
    Too true, having a week off with the family and it is awesome to spend every day with them all.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    VTech wrote:

I'm trying. Seriously, I no longer work countless hours but can't get out of the habit of wanting to work.
    I'm definitely spending more time with them, in fact we just did a weekend away as a family and it was great. I guess it's like a smoker trying to give up. I'm getting there, it's just harder than I thought.

Society has been geared that way for along time and for good reason,to break free takes time.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

We are talking per month here?
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

We are talking per month here?

No, per annum.