FTP / Heartrate

2»

Comments

• Stalin wrote:
    Stalin wrote:
    Now I'm off.

Is this a flounce?

See what you get if you insult me. Best you go off and flounce about with your gay boy friends.

Oh dear! Time for another user name change eh Trevor?

ETA. Looks like I just caught that before your edit Trev :mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Stalin
    Stalin Posts: 208
    Stalin wrote:
    Stalin wrote:
    Now I'm off.

Is this a flounce?

See what you get if you insult me. Best you go off and flounce about with your gay boy friends.

Oh dear! Time for another user name change eh Trevor?

ETA. Looks like I just caught that before your edit Trev :mrgreen:

No probs, expect to be banned anyway.
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    Stalin wrote:
    Team4Luke wrote:
    Stalin wrote:
    Is it possible to improve FTP without improving power : heart rate ratio or increasing sustainable heart rate?

Yes.
    It's also very much about how you deliver what available power you have. If your medium to highly trained just below your racing hr/threshold power, then you will become more smooth and controlled at riding/racing at high intensities enabling a strict control of your output with fewer dips and spikes either side (losing time and going into the red zone wasting effort), your breathing will be more relaxed and constant, smoother peddalling and generally good positional hold on the bike/less body movement. It requires large blocks of sub race endurance efforts at extremely controlled hr/power.

Sorry not with you. I agree you can go faster by using your power intelligently and pacing well and conserving energy etc etc, but how can you increase functional threshold power without increasing sustainable heart rate or power:heart rate ratio?

because by getting fitter your heart would work less for the same power output thus you would increase power output back upto the same HR figure previous-thus you end up riding faster/outputting more watts for the same HR again.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • dzp1
    dzp1 Posts: 54
    Stalin wrote:
    Thanks for your constructive post, but I will move on when I want.

BTW I didn't mean "move on" as in "EFF OFF", I meant, "move on" as in change the record - talk about something else thats not been done 20 times in the last 3 months (as implied by my first response)
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Stalin wrote:
    It will be obvious if you are able to sustain a higher power output during efforts. Doesn't take long to work that out.

It matters little what your HR does, as all that matters is how much power you can sustain over durations of relevance.

The problem with your approach is you need a maximum effort over each duration, and if you are coaching you need to know how hard people are trying.

Besides Alex, your opinion is hardly independent, you sell power meters and power coaching services. You know damn well how useful heart rate is, you just don't want people to know how useful it is. I wonder why?

Please someone ban this idiot. Alex has, and does give value advice. Professional advice, for free. He hasnt once asked me for money or tried to sell me coaching services when he has replied to my questions.

Idiotic comments like that will only alienate people, but I guess thats what you want. Less people to disagree with you.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • dzp1
    dzp1 Posts: 54
    He's been on just about every cycling forum you can think of pushing the same agenda and coming back with different usernames and all that. He keeps getting banned and he keeps coming back.

Its hard to conceive how a grown man could compromise his own integrity and self respect in this way.

However I do like the sports science and related threads. Its a shame that he doesn't seem to have much interest in it outside of trying to prove Alex and Andy wrong. or at least thats the impression I get.

Still he's made sure that the amount of time I waste on forums is minimal, so for that I am grateful :)
  • He set up a business selling power meters (Pedal Power Meters Ltd) which failed as he didn't understand the market, and ended up with a giant chip on his shoulder about power meters etc. in general

Xav
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    He set up a business selling power meters (Pedal Power Meters Ltd) which failed as he didn't understand the market, and ended up with a giant chip on his shoulder about power meters etc. in general

Xav

shame
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Priceless :lol::lol::lol:
  • Stalin wrote:
    I have looked into training, in more sports than just cycling, it is because I have done and coached other sports that I know how useful heart rate alongside power is.

So which sports have you measured and assessed power output from training and competition? Using which devices/technology?
  • Stalin
    Stalin wrote:
    I have looked into training, in more sports than just cycling, it is because I have done and coached other sports that I know how useful heart rate alongside power is.

So which sports have you measured and assessed power output from training and competition? Using which devices/technology?

Rowing, Concept2,

You might find this of some interest. Using power and heart rate for sub maximal testing.

http://www.remo2016.com.br/remo2016/Fis ... ,%20KK.pdf
  • Stalin wrote:
    Stalin wrote:

Rowing, Concept2,

You might find this of some interest. Using power and heart rate for sub maximal testing.

Ah, so you mean one sport, and only using indoor training technology.

The power-HR relationship indoors is not readily transferable to outdoor riding.

BTW - such an approach is not unique to rowing - there are also similar approaches previously written for cycling.
  • Stalin
    Stalin wrote:
    Stalin wrote:

Rowing, Concept2,

Ah, so you mean one sport, and only using indoor training technology.

The power-HR relationship indoors is not readily transferable to outdoor riding.

BTW - such an approach is not unique to rowing - there are also similar approaches previously written for cycling.

Joe Friel uses power / heart rate outdoors.
    http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/05/sp ... tness.html

Also running using pace and heart rate.

You might find this interesting.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-traini ... peed-index