How Happy Are You At Work?

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    VTech wrote:
    I was happy with my work, but not happy "at" work. So much that it was making me sick being there.

Are you the same person who has consistently bragging of your jet set lifestyle, travelling first class across the globe for work, constantly name dropping of meeting rich and wealthy people?

I guess so yes. The fact was that I didn't like some of the parts of the job which made me lose touch with the parts I fell in love with at the start. Im now out of it and much happier so a winner :)
    Living MY dream.
  • Chaps (and Chapettes) talking about BIM and construction, could you PM me? linkies and stuff is good. I am not in your business, but have a personal interest in this pish. Hoping to tap into the general level of disgruntlement, so thanks all.

Carry on.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Chaps (and Chapettes) talking about BIM and construction, could you PM me? linkies and stuff is good. I am not in your business, but have a personal interest in this pish. Hoping to tap into the general level of disgruntlement, so thanks all.

Carry on.

PM'd you :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Engineering Professionals - 66th, but I'd rank it higher currently as I'm designing this bad boy http://www.bloodhoundssc.com

Looks like bits of a missing plane.... :shock:

Faster than any plane can go at ground level.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Engineering Professionals - 66th, but I'd rank it higher currently as I'm designing this bad boy http://www.bloodhoundssc.com
    Ok, slightly cool 8) :D

When's it ready? Are you looking for a driver? I've been in cars lots of times and planes several times. I also have nerves of steel after a few pints and I look really good in a Stig outfit 8)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    seanoconn wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:

When's it ready? Are you looking for a driver? I've been in cars lots of times and planes several times. I also have nerves of steel after a few pints and I look really good in a Stig outfit 8)

Stig outfit?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TP39IFpzbw
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:

Stig outfit?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TP39IFpzbw
    Ok, I'm not wearing yellow and being incinerated has dampened the appeal somewhat, I'm out!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • VTech
    There maybe another stig job coming up if your a decent driver.
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    VTech wrote:

Did Matt blow you out :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Did Matt blow you out :P

Yes, sadly he did. It was a relationship not meant to bloom :oops:

I was actually referring to TopGear, there is a spot soon for anther stig to join the team.
    Living MY dream.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    As a bus driver, no. 252 in the list, I can confirm it's all tosh. The basic salary is about right, but I'm a lot happier than that. Then again, if you take a cross-section of my colleagues the satisfaction rating is probably above average.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Hate my job. Currently in the aviation industry, have been since leaving the RAF 18 months ago and am desperate to get out of it. No job satisfaction, constant frustration due to colleagues general ineptitude and reluctance to accept change and progress and general lack of need to use my skill set to the full. Making me ill tbh, wife keeps telling me to go and speak to the doc but not sure they would understand where my head is at.
  • VTech
    Hate my job. Currently in the aviation industry, have been since leaving the RAF 18 months ago and am desperate to get out of it. No job satisfaction, constant frustration due to colleagues general ineptitude and reluctance to accept change and progress and general lack of need to use my skill set to the full. Making me ill tbh, wife keeps telling me to go and speak to the doc but not sure they would understand where my head is at.

Have a friend in the same position, he works with the criminally insane and has finally cracked himself. He hates it after 20 years or so and finally went to the docs and is on some form of mess and much better.
    Of your feeling I'll go see a doc. No shame in that my friend.
    Living MY dream.
  • Making me ill tbh, wife keeps telling me to go and speak to the doc but not sure they would understand where my head is at.

Easy to say this, but work really isn't worth getting worked up about or letting it affect your health and well being.

It may just be you are in the wrong department or wrong company, sounds like you have in demand skills so consider changing companies.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Making me ill tbh, wife keeps telling me to go and speak to the doc but not sure they would understand where my head is at.

Easy to say this, but work really isn't worth getting worked up about or letting it affect your health and well being.

It may just be you are in the wrong department or wrong company, sounds like you have in demand skills so consider changing companies.
    Yeah, I would second what Sloppy says. I was in a similar position and changed job and it was the best choice I could have made. Life is too short to waste in a position you do not enjoy and you will find something better.

I am not sure the doctor would do much for you. I imagine at best either a long term sick note or some pills or some sort of therapy, none of which sound like a solution to disillusionment with a work role.
  • VTech
    nathancom wrote:
    Making me ill tbh, wife keeps telling me to go and speak to the doc but not sure they would understand where my head is at.

Yeah, I would second what Sloppy says. I was in a similar position and changed job and it was the best choice I could have made. Life is too short to waste in a position you do not enjoy and you will find something better.

I am not sure the doctor would do much for you. I imagine at best either a long term sick note or some pills or some sort of therapy, none of which sound like a solution to disillusionment with a work role.

You really are an idiot, you will do anything just to argue with me, even if it means telling someone who has been advised by his wife (someone who knows him more than anyone) not to see a doc even though it is the most sensible thing to do considering he is starting to feel ill with it.

Why not start another row with me about anything but for the love of god have some decorum and stop being a total loon.
    Living MY dream.
  • nathancom
    I hadn't even read your post. I think you need to calm down.
  • VTech
    nathancom wrote:

Ive now realised who you are. It is all becoming clear.
    Living MY dream.
  • nathancom
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

Ive now realised who you are. It is all becoming clear.
    OK
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

You really are an idiot, you will do anything just to argue with me, even if it means telling someone who has been advised by his wife (someone who knows him more than anyone) not to see a doc even though it is the most sensible thing to do considering he is starting to feel ill with it.

Why not start another row with me about anything but for the love of god have some decorum and stop being a total loon.
    Vtech I think you are completely wrong there. It is a valid point that if the job is making him ill the job needs to change. Anything the doctor can do may treat the symptoms, but will not fix the cause.
    That didn't seem like an attack on you and you are making yourself look like a loon.
  • VTech
    Veronese68 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

Vtech I think you are completely wrong there. It is a valid point that if the job is making him ill the job needs to change. Anything the doctor can do may treat the symptoms, but will not fix the cause.
    That didn't seem like an attack on you and you are making yourself look like a loon.

I agree the job needs to change but the change isn't always a quick one and as his wife is telling him to go to the docs, I think he should, as I said earlier, she knows him more than anyone.
    There is no shame in taking medical advice for such matters and its because of the so called macho state that people end up doing crazy things.
    Living MY dream.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Agreed, no shame in going to the docs. But, that won't fix things in the long term. I just thought you shot down what was intended as a constructive post for the wrong reasons.
  • arran77
    nathancom wrote:

I think that your wrong that the doctor will not do much to help, they are excellent in my opinion and can offer medication or therapies that can help get your mind back on track so that you can look at things in a more positive light.

seanoconn
  • nathancom
    arran77 wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

I think that your wrong that the doctor will not do much to help, they are excellent in my opinion and can offer medication or therapies that can help get your mind back on track so that you can look at things in a more positive light.
    I think it depends on the situation. If the job really is causing you to be stressed and unhappy then you are much better treating the cause of the symptoms (the job) rather than treating the symptoms (the stress and unhappiness). Unless the illness is self-limiting, treating symptoms is only going to work temporarily.

I am not suggesting that medical intervention for mental health issues is a bad idea in general as a number of conditions can be effectively treated to improve the wellbeing of patients. The specific scenario set out Loretta appears to have a much simpler potential solution though, change job. It also has the benefit that the individual is empowered by taking control of his/her situation instead of relying on medical intervention as the first resort.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I handed my ticket in a few weeks ago due to a lot of career frustration so I'm currently working my notice.

I've got another job, same industry, but my new job will be more family friendly.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,087
    @ Nathancom - How come it's taken then so long to figure out that you are a loon?

Me self employed me. I do the accounts but not the audit, I arrange the logistics, I drive the van (once have arranged the logistics), I manage the loons...er, sorry - personnel, I fix the machinery (conveyors, generators, pumps), I do the PR and I am the creator of the recently installed unique personal hygiene system.

I used to love my job but now it is a grind. I am constantly knackered and I will be unemployed in about a year - yippee!

With a little bit of cash (finally) in my back pocket after the whole caboodle is wound up and sold off, I am taking a year or so out to pedal more, enjoy life and the kids. My OH is going to and can do more hours.
    Cannot wait. :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    @ Nathancom - How come it's taken then so long to figure out that you are a loon?

Me self employed me. I do the accounts but not the audit, I arrange the logistics, I drive the van (once have arranged the logistics), I manage the loons...er, sorry - personnel, I fix the machinery (conveyors, generators, pumps), I do the PR and I am the creator of the recently installed unique personal hygiene system.

I used to love my job but now it is a grind. I am constantly knackered and I will be unemployed in about a year - yippee!

With a little bit of cash (finally) in my back pocket after the whole caboodle is wound up and sold off, I am taking a year or so out to pedal more, enjoy life and the kids. My OH is going to and can do more hours.
    Sounds like you're a capitalist asset stripper - self employed, financially literate, built up and flogging off a business to live on the proceeds (which will be taxed at a very low rate :wink: )

You are my hero.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • arran77
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Sounds like you're a capitalist asset stripper - self employed, financially literate, built up and flogging off a business to live on the proceeds (which will be taxed at a very low rate :wink: )

You are my hero.

He's like the Scottish* Alan Sugar :wink:

* In the vaguest possible sense!!

seanoconn
  • VTech
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You are my hero.

Funny thing is, can you imagine the replies of the "loony 4" if I had wrote the same ? :)
    Anyway, well done. If you've out the work in you deserve to reap the rewards and as said above, lower tax (10%) is deserved and one of the good things we have here.
    Living MY dream.
  • nathancom
    I think it took the searing intellect of Vtech to uncover the truth. He uncovered the answer to 2+2 at the same time in a bravura display.