How Happy Are You At Work?

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,512
    mudsucker wrote:
    What a crock of Sh!t.
    Any 'study' that gives a woolly 'satisfaction rating' to three decimal places deserves less than 0.001s consideration as being scientific. And putting farmers at 8th when they have one of the highest suicide rate of any livelihood (see here) seems to suggest that any results maybe questionable at best, if you do spend more than 0.001s of your life reading such tosh.
  • I recently concluded that my ideal job would be tree surgeon - now I look at number 3 on this list and think, bloody right!
    I am in fact #85.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    According to that list I'm in at 68.

However, while my job in itself is not the most fulfilling in some respects the crew I work with are a great bunch of lads; and this makes me happy in my work. The job is the job and has been very similar for over 25years, it's my colleagues that make the difference.

I'm happy at work but I will always moan about and argue for better wages and T&Cs.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    According to that list I'm in at 68.

However, while my job in itself is not the most fulfilling in some respects the crew I work with are a great bunch of lads; and this makes me happy in my work. The job is the job and has been very similar for over 25years, it's my colleagues that make the difference.

I'm happy at work but I will always moan about and argue for better wages and T&Cs.

How come a mechanical engineer is so much happier than a mechanical estimator :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Nothing more galling than someone banging on how much they like their job.

Alright, I get it, you've done well and got a bit of luck to found a job you like.

Now let me get back to the grind of my sh!tty job that more or less pays my bills and only buries me in an existential crisis once a fortnight.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    Now let me get back to the grind of my sh!tty job that more or less pays my bills and only buries me in an existential crisis once a fortnight.
    If modding is that bad why don't you try something else? :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Nothing more galling than someone banging on how much they like their job.

Alright, I get it, you've done well and got a bit of luck to found a job you like.

Is that why you seek out innocent forumites to thrash over the Surrey Hills of a weekend?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cos it pays so well, obviously.
  • mudsucker wrote:
    What a crock of Sh!t.
    Any 'study' that gives a woolly 'satisfaction rating' to three decimal places deserves less than 0.001s consideration as being scientific. And putting farmers at 8th when they have one of the highest suicide rate of any livelihood (see here) seems to suggest that any results maybe questionable at best, if you do spend more than 0.001s of your life reading such tosh.
    'Cos farmers have shotguns innit? Bad day at work, pop home, couple of shells and job done?
    The ones who have topped themselves aren't answering the survey. The survey answerers are probably like that smug t**t on Countryfile who names his animals.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • briantrumpet
    The survey answerers are probably like that smug t**t on Countryfile who names his animals.
    ...and the ones who aren't working their arses off in order to make profit for the supermarkets.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Obviously.
  • arran77
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Obviously.

Your paid by the number of heads that roll aren't you :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I was happy with my work, but not happy "at" work. So much that it was making me sick being there. I left December and have been much happier since.
    Living MY dream.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Self-employed and happier now than I have ever been before.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    The Construction PM (not bad at #95) compares well with the quantity surveyor (#234) - which is odd, from a contractor's POV both are typically in the same boat but doing different things; a job that's an uphill struggle operationally tends to be commercially troubled.
  • In answer to the previous question, I am very happy at work.

I work as a project manager in a Bank. It's mentally quite challenging work, we're not building roads or performing surgery, but it's abstract and tricky work, and rarely is it ever boring.

I feel valued and respected. The people I deal with are witty and sociable, good at their jobs and trustworthy. There are, exceptions, as there are exceptions everywhere in life, but these don't define the job, so the sum total of my experience working here amounts to this: I can't quite believe that I get paid to do this.
    Part of this I think is down to the fact that 20 years into my career, I have paid my dues, done my "apprenticeship", been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and now I work off experience.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I am in Construction Sales. I hate it. Pay is not great but okayish. Sales Managers/Directors/MDs (nearly all have done the job that I do) seem to have lost touch with reality.
    Currently in a Technical support role which would be great if I was near retirement age but there is no challenge or job satisfaction at all.
    Coming up to 50 at the end of year and really need to re-train. Got another 20 years to work at least, considering how cost of living etc is escalating.

Has anyone got any ideas on what will be needed in the near/distant future?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    In answer to the previous question, I am very happy at work.

I work as a project manager in a Bank. It's mentally quite challenging work, we're not building roads or performing surgery, but it's abstract and tricky work, and rarely is it ever boring.

I feel valued and respected. The people I deal with are witty and sociable, good at their jobs and trustworthy. There are, exceptions, as there are exceptions everywhere in life, but these don't define the job, so the sum total of my experience working here amounts to this: I can't quite believe that I get paid to do this.
    Part of this I think is down to the fact that 20 years into my career, I have paid my dues, done my "apprenticeship", been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and now I work off experience.

Contrary to what a few have chosen to turn this thread into, this in fact is the real salary of someones career, enjoyment and ability to live and be happy. Perfect.

Mr Goo wrote:
    I am in Construction Sales. I hate it. Pay is not great but okayish. Sales Managers/Directors/MDs (nearly all have done the job that I do) seem to have lost touch with reality.
    Currently in a Technical support role which would be great if I was near retirement age but there is no challenge or job satisfaction at all.
    Coming up to 50 at the end of year and really need to re-train. Got another 20 years to work at least, considering how cost of living etc is escalating.

This on the other hand is sad, it isn't good to have to work at something you hate but commendable that you do it rather than taking other options that many are too keen to take. As for retraining, true value was in the pc world, those that got that train have found it full of gravy.
    Living MY dream.
  • mr_goo
    Mr Goo wrote:

This on the other hand is sad, it isn't good to have to work at something you hate but commendable that you do it rather than taking other options that many are too keen to take. As for retraining, true value was in the pc world, those that got that train have found it full of gravy.[/quote]

Cheers.
    As you say there are plenty of people that would prefer to sit on their backsides all day.

Following up from my comments about my current situation. It must be something to do with my particular role and industry. There are plenty of my colleagues in the same boat. If we had our time again we wouldn't do this job. But for comparable sales jobs it does pay above the average and you really, really do not have to be a genius, as demonstrated by the calibre of managers and directors in the construction materials industry (the only skill set many of these have is the ability to brown nose and back stab). Bonuses used to be good and would pay for holidays and Christmas. But that has all but disappeared.
    I am looking to re-train into something within IT (used to do this for newspaper industry). Quite like the idea of learning how to design web pages with DreamWeaver and learning HTML. However the take up at the local college for evening classes was so low that they cancelled the course.
    Does anyone know if this is a viable alternative job change or are the new web services for DIY design as advertised on TV going to make this redundant.

There really needs to be a service for those in their 40s/50s that need and want to change careers, but have the massive barrier of financial commitments that prevents this. It seems that if you don't want to work, masses of help and support is thrown at you. But being in work one is forgotten.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Engineering Professionals - 66th, but I'd rank it higher currently as I'm designing this bad boy www.bloodhoundssc.com
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • arran77
    Mr Goo wrote:

What is it that you sell Goo?

seanoconn
  • mr_goo
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

What is it that you sell Goo?

Civils (Drainage, Stormwater Tanks) Used to be an interesting and engaging job when I joined a Yorkshire based firm at the beginning of the 00's. But they got taken over. The job role changed. The industry and the client contact changed. Most of my contacts now have no need for any meetings or contact with a manufacturer. That is why I have to find a new career as there will be no need for my job in the next few years. Central buying policies and technology ie; Internet/email has made the role virtually redundant.
  • arran77
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Central buying policies and technology ie; Internet/email has made the role virtually redundant.

I would be inclined to agree with you on that front. I work as a mechanical estimator for an M & E contractor and the majority of interaction that I have with suppliers and sub-contractors is over the phone or via email, I very rarely have the need to see a rep face to face these days and when I do see them it's more just to catch up and for them to remind me of their existence, I've often thought what a sole destroying existence that must be!!

In terms of roles being redundant, I too can't really see myself being able to continue as I am now for another 30 or 35 years, the days of estimators sitting there taking off drawings are numbered, so too are the days of the M & E contractor not being part of a main contractor :roll:

If I had my time again I would not work in the construction industry and I will do all that I can to discourage my children from following me into this industry.

seanoconn
  • mr_goo
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Central buying policies and technology ie; Internet/email has made the role virtually redundant.

I would be inclined to agree with you on that front. I work as a mechanical estimator for an M & E contractor and the majority of interaction that I have with suppliers and sub-contractors is over the phone or via email, I very rarely have the need to see a rep face to face these days and when I do see them it's more just to catch up and for them to remind me of their existence, I've often thought what a sole destroying existence that must be!!

In terms of roles being redundant, I too can't really see myself being able to continue as I am now for another 30 or 35 years, the days of estimators sitting there taking off drawings are numbered, so too are the days of the M & E contractor not being part of a main contractor :roll:

If I had my time again I would not work in the construction industry and I will do all that I can to discourage my children from following me into this industry.

Glad you agree.
    Interestingly some of the Architects and Consulting Engineers that are still willing to have a chat (never about products) are also seeing themselves becoming redundant. Increasingly manufacturers are willing to provide a full design service, as they do in Europe. With this service will be a full 'shopping list' of the products required for each part of the build. So you are right, estimating may well be reduced or redundant in the future.

I have never needed to tell my kids not to follow me. They have already seen what a miserable sod I have turned into over the last few years.
  • arran77
    Mr Goo wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Glad you agree.
    Interestingly some of the Architects and Consulting Engineers that are still willing to have a chat (never about products) are also seeing themselves becoming redundant. Increasingly manufacturers are willing to provide a full design service, as they do in Europe. With this service will be a full 'shopping list' of the products required for each part of the build. So you are right, estimating may well be reduced or redundant in the future.

I have never needed to tell my kids not to follow me. They have already seen what a miserable sod I have turned into over the last few years.

The architect / consultant thing is certainly true, I think in the future as BIM, or whatever it turns out to be, takes hold it will mean that there are far fewer individual parties involved in the built environment and there will be more of an emphasis on much larger organisations that offer a complete building solution.

seanoconn
  • mr_goo
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Glad you agree.

The architect / consultant thing is certainly true, I think in the future as BIM, or whatever it turns out to be, takes hold it will mean that there are far fewer individual parties involved in the built environment and there will be more of an emphasis on much larger organisations that offer a complete building solution.

Yeh. BIM is certainly going to herald a culture change in the construction industry. Could be the death of many professions.
    As I am sure you will have noticed, the number of large contractors has gone down, with now super sized companies. None more so than Balfour Beatty. Down here they have bought up Dean & Dyball and Mansells. Then over a period of couple of years shut down lots of offices. D&D head office was in Ringwood but doesn't exist anymore. There are rumours that the old Mansells H/O in Totton, Southampton might be downsized. Balfour also bought out Parsons Brinckerhoff for the engineering design expertise and then started laying staff off. I lost all my contacts at the Godalming head office as they were either laid off or just left, because Balfour only wanted PB for an in road into the infrastructure business in the Middle East.

I bet now, that Balfour will be the Main Contractor for HS2, then will divide up elements of the project. They are such a powerful company with lobbying influence within government.
  • arran77
    Mr Goo wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Glad you agree.

Yeh. BIM is certainly going to herald a culture change in the construction industry. Could be the death of many professions.
    As I am sure you will have noticed, the number of large contractors has gone down, with now super sized companies. None more so than Balfour Beatty. Down here they have bought up Dean & Dyball and Mansells. Then over a period of couple of years shut down lots of offices. D&D head office was in Ringwood but doesn't exist anymore. There are rumours that the old Mansells H/O in Totton, Southampton might be downsized. Balfour also bought out Parsons Brinckerhoff for the engineering design expertise and then started laying staff off. I lost all my contacts at the Godalming head office as they were either laid off or just left, because Balfour only wanted PB for an in road into the infrastructure business in the Middle East.

I bet now, that Balfour will be the Main Contractor for HS2, then will divide up elements of the project. They are such a powerful company with lobbying influence within government.

BIM will mean the end of many professions as well as many companies, I've thought for a while that working for a main contractor such as Balfour is really the way things are heading and the emergence of BIM amongst other things only adds to that possibility.

Like you say though, working for a company that is then bought by a main contractor is not the solution, you really need to be working directly for the likes of Balfour, Vinci or Mace.

I'm fairly certain that I won't see out my days working for an M & E contractor.

seanoconn
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Engineering Professionals - 66th, but I'd rank it higher currently as I'm designing this bad boy http://www.bloodhoundssc.com

Looks like bits of a missing plane.... :shock:
  • frgazza
    frgazza Posts: 11
    Interesting survey. I am not a vicar but I am a catholic parish priest and would generally describe myself as happy in my work, unfortunately Sunday club runs are no use, but that is the only day I do any work…. ;-)

Gary
  • VTech wrote:
    I was happy with my work, but not happy "at" work. So much that it was making me sick being there.

Are you the same person who has consistently bragging of your jet set lifestyle, travelling first class across the globe for work, constantly name dropping of meeting rich and wealthy people?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles