Strade Bianche 2014 *Spoilers*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Anyone notice how amateur Sagan's position looks on the bike?

Enjoyed the camera work on his attack. All very dramatic.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Wonder does the race need a date change to step up?

A lot of the riders you would want to see there were in France.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Nee joh.

Is fine where it is. Nice little bridge from the Belgian opener and Tireno.
  • tailwindhome
    Nee joh.

?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Nee joh.

?

I'm guessing "not at all"
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Good race*. I enjoyed it, and it really makes me think I need to go to Italy sometime.

*Could be a strongly biased by it being the first one I've sat down and watched this season, and it was on my new shiny TV.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    There was something just not quite exciting about it all though ... dunno if it was the commentary or the crowds or what but it was just a wee bit flat ...

I think it was the waiting for things to happen that diminished it. Of course the early break were going to be hoovered up. Of course there was going to come a moment when a bigger group got away with some of the favourites in it. Of course Sagan was going to go on a bit of a charge (visceral though it was once it came). Once Sagan and Kwiatowski got away, it was then a case of waiting for the final showdown in the final kilometre (although again, the coup de grace was stunning in its finality). Most of the race seemed to be about waiting for these things to happen though - there was no real sense of people trying to make it happen.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I dunno - I think those having a pop haven't quite read it right - it was exciting early doors, looked fantastic and until about 25km to go, it was still in the balance - we hadn't seen Fab or Peto give it some guns and Evans/Cunego were still there with lots of Giant Shim and OPQS. Then when Sagan went, it took the breath away and when Kwia followed with apparent ease and no-one else could, you kind of felt the race was going to come down to that last rise (if Kwia didn't try and shake Sagan beforehand). Wasn't the race's fault that the following group didn't try and shut it down immediately or to sacrifice certain riders. Sagan looked good, Kwia was clinical and if I have a complaint it was not seeing how Valverde dispatched the others on that last rise. I would have thought this would have been a good Phil G/Simon Gerrans/J Rod race too?
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Sagan and Kwia only got 4 seconds by the initial crest ... It was then that the racing dwindled as everyone else just sat there ... Easy to pick out Fab as 'unable' but there were few guys with a genuine kick that could/should have caught that mini-break ...

The roads rather than the riding made the race ... Same as many races in April ...
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Good race.

Shame we did not get a few more together at the end.
    It would have been nice to see Evans and Valverde race each other at the end :lol:
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I don't think anyone's having a pop as such - there's a wide gap between 'not as exciting as it could have been' and 'duller than watching Orlando Bloom watch paint dry'. In football, it would have been one of those games with a couple of stunning goals but long periods of both teams sitting back and playing pointless balls sideways. It's sport, not choreography, so it happens sometimes. I think at least part of the slightly disappointed reaction from some people is because the race has a unique element and had the potential for some really explosive racing, but the way the cards fell mitigated against that today.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Sagan and Kwia only got 4 seconds by the initial crest ... It was then that the racing dwindled as everyone else just sat there ... Easy to pick out Fab as 'unable' but there were few guys with a genuine kick that could/should have caught that mini-break ...

The roads rather than the riding made the race ... Same as many races in April ...

This.
    The folks above are forgetting that OPQS had 4 riders left policing the final selection.
    No brainer.

As for Valverde, he rode his perfect race, but for one small mistake.
    Follow the main protagonists: if they go, get on their wheel.
    Get to the final climb and do your usual thing.

I don't think anybody is saying that, given the ingredients, it was a dull race.
    Just not the best this circuit has produced.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Crankbrother
    Of course, if Kwia wins either of the 'big ones' in April, we'll have seen a masterclass ...
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Apparently, Riccardo Zoidl broke his collarbone. According to Trek, Cancellara had a rear wheel puncture just before the race started splitting.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    mroli wrote:
    I dunno - I think those having a pop haven't quite read it right - it was exciting early doors, looked fantastic and until about 25km to go, it was still in the balance - we hadn't seen Fab or Peto give it some guns and Evans/Cunego were still there with lots of Giant Shim and OPQS. Then when Sagan went, it took the breath away and when Kwia followed with apparent ease and no-one else could, you kind of felt the race was going to come down to that last rise (if Kwia didn't try and shake Sagan beforehand). Wasn't the race's fault that the following group didn't try and shut it down immediately or to sacrifice certain riders. Sagan looked good, Kwia was clinical and if I have a complaint it was not seeing how Valverde dispatched the others on that last rise. I would have thought this would have been a good Phil G/Simon Gerrans/J Rod race too?

yeah you would think the finish suits jrod perfectly. Gilbert won the race in 2011 when he was in spectacular form.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Crampeur wrote:
    Apparently, Riccardo Zoidl broke his collarbone. According to Trek, Cancellara had a rear wheel puncture just before the race started splitting.

About 50ks out or later on? Couldnt see him at all then when Evans et al were forcing.

It's hard to get support in this race so he must have had to chase hard to get back on.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Blazing what are we forgetting about Opqs? That they are boss and turn up to race?

That Kwiatek won because of his team?

That opqs having riders behind meant the chasers gave up?

Kwiatek would have won had he had no teammates all race. Sagan had no teammates from 50ks or so and finished 2nd.

There were strong riders and Saxo and GShim were both well represented.

Not sure what your point is.

It was 25ks of splintered riders then 25ks or two supreme riders with action with the chasers. All with a beautiful backdrop. Great race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Great race and great scenery/roads. I didn't hear about Cancellara's puncture but it explains why he didn't have the legs to go with the break.

Kwia seems to be on very good form this season and OPQS are getting riders in all the right breaks, should be a good season.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Frenchie - just shut up with your bullsh1t, You think youre making highbrow comments that none of can understand when actually you re just being a whiny little b1tch of a 6 year old girl and everyone can see through you clearer than day.

Anyway, hyperbole time...

Is it too early to say that Sagan is "finished" and "can't hack it in the big time" yet? He's developing a habit of coming second in the big races...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Mean while

Gage+DeSoto
    Peter Sagan now finishes 2nd on purpose ::
    BiPkHW0IMAAJzvH.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ddraver wrote:
    Frenchie - just shut up with your bullsh1t, You think youre making highbrow comments that none of can understand when actually you re just being a whiny little b1tch of a 6 year old girl and everyone can see through you clearer than day.

Is it too early to say that Sagan is "finished" and "can't hack it in the big time" yet? He's developing a habit of coming second in the big races...

Que the contribute something to the thread before you comment on me nonsense.
  • ddraver
    see above - posting a picture makes everything ok doesnt it? ;)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Laura Meseguer ‏@Laura_Meseguer
    Ha! Good one "@dwuori: pic.twitter.com/XWeB6oefKe"

BiPMR31IEAAOi7K.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:

Have you been drinking again? For someone who claims to be a geologist you sure talk without any education. Did you get your offer letter in a Christmas cracker? The comments you made dont even make sense. See you on the 27th unless you hopefully get lost on London's tube network :roll:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Easy tigers, supposed to be fun.

Roll on Roma Maxima!

PS Love those Sagan pics above, lol!
  • tailwindhome

Nee joh.

Is fine where it is. Nice little bridge from the Belgian opener and Tireno.

Suppose one can't be greedy.
  • Crankbrother
    I like the way the Italian races build towards La Primavera ... In some ways it's a shame the spring classics break up the run in to the Giro ...
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    13017879193_ba1814d2a3_b.jpg

Courtesy of Alefedrico on Flickr
  • frenchfighter
    That photo is ridiculously good.
    Contador is the Greatest