NOCENTINI Rinaldo
2012 CANCELLARA Fabian
IGLINSKIY Maxim
GATTO Oscar
2011 GILBERT Philippe
BALLAN Alessandro
CUNEGO Damiano

Contenders 2014:
Sagan, Fab, Valverde, Kwiato, Ulissi, Evans, Moser, Pippo, Yogi, Paolini, Iglinsky, Uran, Cunego.

Comments

• Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Wiggins out. Swift in.

Weather - mild and dry. Light NE winds picking up in the afternoon.
    BiHVvPBCAAIgwbw.jpg
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Got any more info on Wiggins withdrawing Art? Can't find anything on news sites.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    LutherB wrote:
    Got any more info on Wiggins withdrawing Art? Can't find anything on news sites.

Try the Asylum. Those boys are bound to have it all figured out by now. :roll: :wink:

(possibly something to do with a change of role in the T-A?)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Looking forward to this race Mrs Peril and the Perilettes are off Island for the weekend and so I'm free of commitments. Off for a ridey pidey now.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • blazing_saddles
    As I suspected. New coverage times for Rai Sport 2:

13:45 (12-45 UK)Ciclismo: Strade Bianche-15:45

Which means Eurosport's coverage will miss a big chunk at the start and finish early!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I know it's become a bit of a cliche about how quickly this race has become a staple of the classics season, but it's true.

It does make you think that Britain could get together a good one day race centred on somewhere like Yorkshire. Or am I too optimistic?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Love the last 50ks of this race. Im guessing Wiggins knew he had poor form relative to the other favourites.

A lot of exciting riders participating. Would quite like to see some Sagan brilliance. Go Kwiatek. Hope Valverde doesnt win today but if it is a sprint up the last part you have to say it is perfect for him. Would mention Henao as well. I reckon Barguil will be quite active trying to get away at the end. 100% Fabu will be testing his form.

Superb photo Art.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    100% Fabu will be testing his form.

I have a gut feeling that we aren't going to see too much from either Cancellara or Sagan today and both are going to keep their cards very close to their chest
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    As an aside Froome is out of TA (starts on wed)...apparent bad back. Would have been good to see him face off against Contador. Maybe he has bad memories from last year. Porte removed from PN (starts tomorrow) to take his place.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    100% Fabu will be testing his form.

I have a gut feeling that we aren't going to see too much from either Cancellara or Sagan today and both are going to keep their cards very close to their chest

Sagan is a pure racer and doesnt turn up to soft pedal.

Check out Demol's comments re Fabu on Cnews earlier this week...I would be surprised if he doesnt go hard.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Also C Prudhomme is none too pleased with Sky:
    "We find it cavalier to have the reigning champion pull out just before the start"
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Does seem odd to take Porte out of P-N - but I'm sure they have their reasons.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Maybe they thing T-A gives a better chance pf a GC win, given the fairly modest parcours of P-N. Also Luke Rowe hasn't started today as he is now riding P-N.

Anyway, back to the race:

Daniel Lloyd ‏@daniellloyd1 33m
    An all Italian breakaway, Frapporti, Pagani, Frattini and Fedi lead the bunch by 10'30". #StradeBianche
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Also C Prudhomme is none too pleased with Sky:
    "We find it cavalier to have the reigning champion pull out just before the start"

Makes a change from the usual complaint about Sky being a bunch of roundheads.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The P-N course didn't really suggest a potential repeat victory for Porte and he's doing the Giro so maybe riding T-A actually makes more sense and he was only riding P-N because he was reigning champ?

Anyway 15 mins until race coverage begins on Sporza.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    "We find it cavalier to have the reigning (Paris-Nice) champion pull out just before the start," Prudhomme said, according to AFP.

"We were told that to win points for the world rankings, the Tirreno was more favourable (to Porte) due to its technical characteristics and the presence of an (individual) time-trial."

The organisation chose a course without a time trial nor a decisive summit finish for the first time since 1955, hoping to see a more exciting dynamic on a course which could force a GC battle on just about any stage.

"We wanted to move away from stereotypes and we're going to continue on this path. Bearing in mind it's the riders who decide, we'll keep proposing more open courses. I'm convinced it will be a magnificent race."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    80kms to race, Marco Frapporti (Androni Giocattoli), Marco Canola (Baridani CSF), Davide Frattini (UnitedHealthCare) and Andrea Fedi (Neri Sottoli-Yellow Fluo) have 5mins
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    Finally Rai go live!
  • above_the_cows
    Good sections of white road here.
  • frenchfighter
    "I'll give it everything and then see what happens. We need everything to go right but the team is good and I' feel good. We'll see…"
    -Cancellara
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    edited March 2014
    That UHC kit looks good on the bike.
  • Art Vandelay
    Pozzato, Reijnen, Pantoja Tobar, Russem and Belkob DNFs
  • frenchfighter
    No radios.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Sporza busy talking about how many beards there are in the peloton at the moment. Discussing the important questions.
  • frenchfighter
    Fil d'Indienne right now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Non-Eurosport feed with Dan Lloyd is great.
  • frenchfighter
    55ks, BMC and SKY on both sides of the road lining it out.

Next gravel sector is the longest of the day at 11.5ks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Art Vandelay
    Eurosport has Rob Hatch and Brian Smith which is pretty good. No CK.
  • frenchfighter
    Listening bein sport guys - French. Excellent.
    Contador is the Greatest