Are MTBs losing out to road bikes

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Why should I when there's a gap big enough to fit through. Cars are queing because they have to, not becuase they want to. Anyone who sits in a traffic queue on two wheels is a numpty. One time riding down to Hampshire a few years ago there was a massive tailback past Newbury (caused by retarded car drivers rubbernecking at the accident and 12 mile traffic queue on the opposite carriageway). Should I have sat at the back of that queue for hours (caused by idiot card drivers) when I could fit down the middle and be on my way? Of course not - that would be utterly stupid. By your logic then cyclists should sit at the back of traffic queues too.
    Did you even read what I said? My point was if you're afraid you'll be knocked off by filtering, regardless of whose fault it is, you're still choosing to put yourself in that situation when you don't need to. If I can wait at the back in a car, so can you on a bike.

That's very different to me telling you you should always wait at the back, isn't it.

i_love_these_morons____by_kaseysgirl5-d538za0.jpg

Know one? You clearly are one, according to the drivel coming from your keyboard, I assume that's you in the right of the picture? :lol: Yes, I read what you said. Did you? Seems not. You clearly said that you deliberately block people from filtering because you're a selfish idiot who thinks they should wait in a queue, just because you have to. Why should bikes wait in a queue when there's a space big enough to fit through (perfectly legally)? Now that would be moronic. As is your statement that you allow room for cyclists, but deliberately block bikes. Why shouldn't the cyclist wait at the back of the queue too, according to your logic. :roll: And who said they were afraid they'd be knocked off filtering? Where did you get that from, lol? I guess you think that when you're stuck in your car behind some bellend doing 40 in a national limit and can't get past that bikes should sit and wait behind you too. I love internet idiots, life would be so much less amusing without you... :lol:
    Care to read back and find where I said I block motorcyclists from filtering? Because i've read back this entire thread and i've not once said or even alluded to that.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    ... and somebody getting into the sport will probably be put off by what they have seen, which on TV is things like the Red Bull series featuring people performing 50ft jumps across rock strewn river beds.

While true, I've never understood that kind of attitude. Seeing stuff like that fires me up and to see it as off putting is sort of defeatist.

The attitude of self preservation?

That's the attitude most people have. Average Joe who's going to buy a bike - do I ride around getting fit, possibly stopping and eating cake on the way, that doesn't require a lot of skill or do I ride down the side of a mountain, which takes lots of skill and is more likely to really hurt if it goes wrong. Not that riding on the road doesn't hurt if goes wrong, just think of other peoples perceptions.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    ... and somebody getting into the sport will probably be put off by what they have seen, which on TV is things like the Red Bull series featuring people performing 50ft jumps across rock strewn river beds.

While true, I've never understood that kind of attitude. Seeing stuff like that fires me up and to see it as off putting is sort of defeatist.

That's the attitude most people have. Average Joe who's going to buy a bike - do I ride around getting fit, possibly stopping and eating cake on the way, that doesn't require a lot of skill or do I ride down the side of a mountain, which takes lots of skill and is more likely to really hurt if it goes wrong. Not that riding on the road doesn't hurt if goes wrong, just think of other peoples perceptions.

Exactly this
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063

Yes, that as well. And if fear of personal injury motivates you then on top of a mountain bike is probably the last place you need to be. I think a lot of it is, though, "Oh, I'll never be able to do that." Just plain defeatist. People with no ambition.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Road bikes are outselling mountain bikes for one simple reason:

Accessibility.... How many people live right next to a decent trail? Not many..... How many people live a few miles from lovely quiet country roads? Loads; road bikes are easy, you simply get your bike out the garage and get on your way, a nice route is never too far away.

If I lived near a decent trail, I'd be out every weekend on my MTB and save the road bike for commutes, trouble is, the nearest cycling friendly forest to me is Thetford, and that's an hour drive and not the most rewarding for all the effort in getting there.
  • junglist_matty
    ...And gone are the days kids could rock up to a small bit of local woodland and ride some jumps built by the older kids or rip down a short DH track with a few berms... They all get bulldozed as soon as they are discovered, trail centres and bridleways are the only places you can happily get away with riding an MTB these days.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why should I when there's a gap big enough to fit through. Cars are queing because they have to, not becuase they want to. Anyone who sits in a traffic queue on two wheels is a numpty. One time riding down to Hampshire a few years ago there was a massive tailback past Newbury (caused by retarded car drivers rubbernecking at the accident and 12 mile traffic queue on the opposite carriageway). Should I have sat at the back of that queue for hours (caused by idiot card drivers) when I could fit down the middle and be on my way? Of course not - that would be utterly stupid. By your logic then cyclists should sit at the back of traffic queues too.
    Did you even read what I said? My point was if you're afraid you'll be knocked off by filtering, regardless of whose fault it is, you're still choosing to put yourself in that situation when you don't need to. If I can wait at the back in a car, so can you on a bike.

That's very different to me telling you you should always wait at the back, isn't it.

i_love_these_morons____by_kaseysgirl5-d538za0.jpg

Know one? You clearly are one, according to the drivel coming from your keyboard, I assume that's you in the right of the picture? :lol: Yes, I read what you said. Did you? Seems not. You clearly said that you deliberately block people from filtering because you're a selfish idiot who thinks they should wait in a queue, just because you have to. Why should bikes wait in a queue when there's a space big enough to fit through (perfectly legally)? Now that would be moronic. As is your statement that you allow room for cyclists, but deliberately block bikes. Why shouldn't the cyclist wait at the back of the queue too, according to your logic. :roll: And who said they were afraid they'd be knocked off filtering? Where did you get that from, lol? I guess you think that when you're stuck in your car behind some bellend doing 40 in a national limit and can't get past that bikes should sit and wait behind you too. I love internet idiots, life would be so much less amusing without you... :lol:
    Care to read back and find where I said I block motorcyclists from filtering? Because i've read back this entire thread and i've not once said or even alluded to that.

I think lolingmotocat is confused, more so than normal. He may be confusing my words with yours. But I don't see how, as I have never said I block motocat's like, just that I tend to leave more room up the inside where push bikes tend to be, at the expense of room for his type.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ...And gone are the days kids could rock up to a small bit of local woodland and ride some jumps built by the older kids or rip down a short DH track with a few berms... They all get bulldozed as soon as they are discovered, trail centres and bridleways are the only places you can happily get away with riding an MTB these days.
    No. they are not if you look.

My house backs onto Swinley Forest, which is rather nice - plenty of trails apart from the new trail centre stuff.

I can ride to Tunnel Hill and surrounds, plenty of natural trails.

Caesars Camp is a 20 minute drive - plenty of natural trails.

Surrey Hills is half and hour or so - plenty of natural trails.

And that's half an hour outside central London.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    No. they are not if you look.

True. I was down in Wales a couple of weeks back on the opposite side of the Neath valley from Afan and the forrest is littered with excellent trails. And not all entirely 'natural', either.
  • junglist_matty
    cooldad wrote:
    My house backs onto Swinley Forest, which is rather nice - plenty of trails apart from the new trail centre stuff.

Exactly, you are very lucky to live near plenty of trails; not so many people are so lucky; 30 mins to a trail isn't so bad, but it's not ideal either, when you can jump on a roadbike and not have to drive anywhere to enjoy it ;)
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Exactly, you are very lucky to live near plenty of trails; not so many people are so lucky; 30 mins to a trail isn't so bad, but it's not ideal either, when you can jump on a roadbike and not have to drive anywhere to enjoy it ;)
    You missed this bit, selectively or not
    cooldad wrote:
    And that's half an hour outside central London.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I think lolingmotocat is confused, more so than normal. He may be confusing my words with yours. But I don't see how, as I have never said I block motocat's like, just that I tend to leave more room up the inside where push bikes tend to be, at the expense of room for his type.

:lol: I'll give you that one. My mistake - I've mixed my earlier posts up because you both made the same moronic "if I have to wait in a queue, why shouldn't you?" argument. :lol: You did clearly state that you deliberately move over to block filtering bikes though. Makes no difference though - if you've moved over that far to the right then they'll be room to fit down your left side, and still leave you sitting in your car frothing at the mouth about how everybody should wait in the queue just because you have to, as I carry on my merry way... :lol:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    He specifically said he moved over to leave space for bikes on the left, that was the point. You're clutching at straws now.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    F**k me. This conversation really is going nowhere. It's been the same old b0ll0cks going around for a week now.
    Can't everyone just agree that roadies are gay, mountain bikers are awesome and just let this thread die?
  • Chunkers1980
    Sure, as long as we include the motorbikists in the gay part.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I used to be one and I'm working on getting a new one so no.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Motorbikists are far gayer than roadies too. So no, clearly we can't agree.
  • Angus Young
    Yeah, but what about a load of guys dressing up in odd clothing and going off into the woods together and coming back all tired and sweaty...
  • Chunkers1980
    That's your Friday night dogging session.
  • bennett_346
    F**k me. This conversation really is going nowhere. It's been the same old b0ll0cks going around for a week now.
    Can't everyone just agree that motorcycists are gay, mountain bikers are awesome and just let this thread die?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Why does every discussion about mountain biking always lead to dogging?
  • Angus Young
    Why does every discussion about mountain biking always lead to dogging?

I'm surprised that works as a chat-up line. What's your hit rate?
  • rockmonkeysc
    No chat up lines needed. Just drive in to the car park and flash your head lights.
    Never show reversing lights......
  • cooldad
    Yeah, but what about a load of guys dressing up in odd clothing and going off into the woods together and coming back all tired and sweaty...
    Somebody once asked in London Calling in Rides what we did, presumably meaning what sort of riding.

Someone who shall remain nameless said we were just a bunch of guys who went into the woods and took pictures of each other.
    For some strange reason we never heard from them again.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    Somebody once asked in London Calling in Rides what we did, presumably meaning what sort of riding.

Someone who shall remain nameless said we were just a bunch of guys who went into the woods and took pictures of each other.
    For some strange reason we never heard from them again.

And that's why I always ride alone.
  • Kowalski675
    Can't everyone just agree that roadies are gay, mountain bikers are awesome and just let this thread die?

:lol: That sounds right to me.
  • bennett_346

:lol: That sounds right to me.
    CAWTYARLEMLAIFY
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:
    He specifically said he moved over to leave space for bikes on the left, that was the point. You're clutching at straws now.

I'll quote it again for you, since you seem to be even more hard of thinking than usual today... :lol:

"in traffic whilst driving I stick to the middle of the road more than the curb side. Allows push bikes through more easily and annoys motorbikes who seem to think that have a god given right to filter. How about wait your turn like the rest of us?"

Do try keep up at the back... :roll:
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:
    Motorbikists are far gayer than roadies too. So no, clearly we can't agree.

Only the ones you've been shagging. It doesn't get much gayer than not liking bikes. What's the matter? Tried one once and it frightened you? :lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    That's not saying what you're hoping. It says it's a by product. Much like we can imagine would happen in reverse for a pure motorbiker