Are MTBs losing out to road bikes

Comments

• mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    I think all this road bike business is just because of the recent success of team GB, Sir Bradley and major tv coverage. Dont thjnk mtb will ever fade to the degree road bikes did a few years back.
    As for motorcycling on the road, well thats just as boring I did for a while got so bored sold my road bike bought a trail bike and went green laneing. :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    njee20 wrote:
    Riding motorcycles is a whole lot safer than road cycling in traffic

By "safer" you mean 'far more likely to get you killed or serious injured" I assume? there's a lot of evidence for that! You can claim it's boring, that's subjective, but less safe... No.

I agree, motorcycles are a lot safer in traffic. Being able to keep up with the flow of traffic helps a lot and so does the noise of a motorcycle.
    I rode motorbikes for 12 years without accident.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Jeez, all these opinions about road cycling being boring. I suggest you have not done it for any proper length of time or understood it properly. Its a completely different activity to MTB riding. So other than the fact they are both on two wheels it seems little point comparing. I also think that Kowalski is talking more about commuters which is a different thing again. Comparing some of the idiots on the road to all road riders is like saying that every chav that has a Halfords BSO MTB is a MTB rider. Its just simply not fair to compare.

Sure you don't get the buzz of landing a big drop off on a road bike, but you do however get a massive buzz in the sense of achievement when you complete your first 100 miles ride. Something which is fairly devoid on a MTB.

I love Both MTB and Road riding, for completely different reasons much like l like drinking both tea and Coffee. Just get over it!
  • rockmonkeysc
    What exactly makes the buzz of completing 100 miles on a road bike greater than the buzz of completing a significant distance on a mountain bike?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You'll find road riders are generally older with less free time. I am lucky with decent trails locally so don't have to spend hours loading up the car and driving. The difference is road biking will make you fitter and appreciate different sides to cycling than mountain biking. Mountain biking is more about bike handling skills and short sprints. I used to ride for hours in the wilds on a mountain bike but never got as exhausted as on a long road bike ride. It is just different challenges and either benefits a lot from doing the other.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    There's little point in comparing the two. If you don't like the idea of road biking, nobody is forcing you to do it.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The way I see it: Even a bad day on road or mountain bike is better than a good day in the office or sitting on the sofa at home! For me, road cycling is easier to access and fit in with family life and also better for fitness/weight loss training. I love both equally because they get me outdoors enjoying life.
  • markhewitt1978
    apreading wrote:
    The way I see it: Even a bad day on road or mountain bike is better than a good day in the office or sitting on the sofa at home! For me, road cycling is easier to access and fit in with family life and also better for fitness/weight loss training. I love both equally because they get me outdoors enjoying life.

Time is a big factor. Even with road biking there's many an occasion I'd like to throw my bike in the back of the car and start in the hills, rather than having to ride a hour to get there. But by the time I'd messed on getting my bike into and out of the car, and driven to and from where I need to be, that's all riding time lost.

In any case I find the sense of achievement all the greater in reaching a destination having started from home.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Good strawman. If you'd crashed on your first ride, would that mean every ride was likely to end in a crash? You only need one fatal crash, and that's far more likely to be on a motorbike!
  • russyh
    What exactly makes the buzz of completing 100 miles on a road bike greater than the buzz of completing a significant distance on a mountain bike?

That is my point, its a different kind of feeling. I don't expect you to understand. To be honest i don't care either way. The fact is the buzz of really achieving 100 miles or even 70 miles on a road bike is great. What exactly makes a long ride at a trail centre more of a Buzz then road riding? Its a different activity all together. The great thing about human beings is we all like different things, we all get joy out of different quirks. Kowalski likes cats (too much) i like dogs (as pets) I like women...I'm not sure what you like?

The fact is its a growing sport so its obvious loads more people get it than don't! Rather than try and chip away at the good its doing with masochistic comments why not try and be constructive and think about how you could encourage some of these roadies into the muddy side of cycling???
  • russyh
    njee20 wrote:

Good strawman. If you'd crashed on your first ride, would that mean every ride was likely to end in a crash? You only need one fatal crash, and that's far more likely to be on a motorbike!

Correct. The statistics dont lie:]
    http://think.direct.gov.uk/motorcycles.html

i refer you to the points under the heading THE FACTS
  • rockmonkeysc
    Russyh wrote:

That is my point, its a different kind of feeling. I don't expect you to understand. To be honest i don't care either way. The fact is the buzz of really achieving 100 miles or even 70 miles on a road bike is great. What exactly makes a long ride at a trail centre more of a Buzz then road riding? Its a different activity all together. The great thing about human beings is we all like different things, we all get joy out of different quirks. Kowalski likes cats (too much) i like dogs (as pets) I like women...I'm not sure what you like?

The fact is its a growing sport so its obvious loads more people get it than don't! Rather than try and chip away at the good its doing with masochistic comments why not try and be constructive and think about how you could encourage some of these roadies into the muddy side of cycling???

Not everyone rides at trail centres. I have done more than a few 100km rides on a mountain bike which I would say is at least as much of an achievement as 100 miles on a road bike.
    With the state of trails at the moment I would say the last thing our sport needs is more riders. We dont have enough (natural or purpose built) trails to support a large increase in mountain biking.
  • njee20
    And if everyone gave up (or even if it stagnated) do you think there would somehow be more infrastructure...?
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Deaths of road cyclists are very common unfortunately.
    Serious injuries of mountain bikers are unfortunately very common.
    I would much rather (and I have more than once) take the serious injury.

Agreed.

But....
    Deaths / serious injuries on the road are often not the cyclists 'fault'. That is, another vehicle is usually involved
    Deaths / serious injuries on an MTB are usuall the 'fault' of the rider.

I'd rather take the my chances with an MTB and besides I ride like a girl anyway!

Disagree that road cycling is dull though. I used to love it when I was younger and thought I was invincible and accidents happened to 'other people'.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Whether it's you're fault or not when you get killed to death by a bus it's going to ruin your day.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Whether it's you're fault or not when you get killed to death by a bus it's going to ruin your day.
    That's my point.

I'm in control on an MTB and I can decide what I can ride (or not) safely (ish)

On the road - any fecking idiot could kill me at any time, regardless of what I do.

Ergo... I don't ride on the road much anymore
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Road cycling has no specific venue, the ride starts from your doorstep, however there is a big issue with mountainbiking, particularly with regard to the trail centre's, is unlike pretty much any other sport going where a venue is required, there is no need to pay to use the trail centres.

Think about it, if you want to use the local astro-turf then you pay a couple of pounds for a session. You want to use a swimming pool, you pay a couple of pounds to use it. You want to use squash courts, you pay a couple of pound to use them. You want to use an indoor skatepark, you pay a couple of pound to use it. You want to ride a trail centre.......no charge to use the trails.

Okay so you may have to pay to park at some places, but in essence you can roll up, ride all day and not pay a penny to anyone towards the upkeep, the land, the initial construction and the overall preservation of the trails. Quite ironic really when you consider the initial outlay many trail centre riders have made for their gear, a great deal larger than the other sports mentioned. I rode Llandegla this January and on my strava, 64 people recorded a ride that day, despite severe weather warnings in place, so on good weekends there must be potential to raise thousands of pounds with even a £2/3 fee, money which could be put back into the trails.

So actually I'd say the scene could well flourish if more people were riding, if there was a small fee for using dedicated trail centres which was re-invested in development and upkeep. In my opinion, of course
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not everyone rides trail centres. Personally I think the best riding can be found by just going out with an os map and a bit of imagination.
    Too many riders are too lazy and unimaginative to go out and explore and find or build.
    Most people could find a great ride without driving anywhere if they put in a bit of effort.
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    At the risk of being controversial, and with no great current experience of either market, my thoughts are that getting into mtb for the first time is hard at the minute. As mentioned, there are too many options for the inexperienced (AM/XC/DH/29/26/27.5 etc). I know what I used to enjoy and what I am not currently capable of, so I know what I'm building up but newcomers to mtb must be mindblown.

As for road vs mountains; I rode both and enjoyed both. Standing at the top of a mountain or forest, looking down at the rocks and trees and wondering whether you'll get out the bottom alive is thrilling. Nothing much like it on the road. But then, riding in a chain gang, beating your regular riding mates up a hill when you usually lose, or beating a pb on a TT, or covering a milestone distance is also hugely enjoyable.

Mtb gives adrenaline buzzes and thrills. Road gives a sense of pride and achievement. Both are pleasing, and equally so, but different in their own right. I don't think you can compare adrenaline buzzes between them, they're different disciplines. But road is simpler, more accessible and offers equal reward (albeit a different type of reward) so would make sense to me if it now dominates the market (which I have no current experience of and can't comment on).

Just my 2p
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    Ps riding road on your own is almost always ducking dull
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    mkf wrote:
    sold my road bike bought a trail bike and went green laneing. :D

I've always fancied doing some greenlaning, and almost bought a well used, but sound DRZ400E a while back, but there's so few places you can legally ride now that, unless you're willing to ride illegally, it's just not worth having a trail bike now.
  • Kowalski675

Did you see Top Gear's MLK / John Lennon / Jesus / cyclists public information film last week? So true. :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    Russyh wrote:
    Correct. The statistics dont lie

Now that is funny. Government statistics don't lie. :lol: Do you still believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy too? :lol:

And you do realise that even minor injuries like a broken finger go into the governments "KSI" figures? :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    BigAl wrote:
    That's my point.

I'm in control on an MTB and I can decide what I can ride (or not) safely (ish)

On the road - any ******* idiot could kill me at any time, regardless of what I do.

Ergo... I don't ride on the road much anymore

CAWT.
  • Kowalski675
    Russyh wrote:
    I also think that Kowalski is talking more about commuters which is a different thing again.

Tbh, I don't know who's worse - them or the mamils...
  • njee20
    1) WTF is "CAWT"? You're the only person I've ever seen use it, and you've done so several times on this thread alone.

2) Why can't you type more than one response per post? The last 5 posts are all you, just put it in one post FFS!
    Now that is funny. Government statistics don't lie. :lol: Do you still believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy too? :lol:

And you do realise that even minor injuries like a broken finger go into the governments "KSI" figures? :lol:

Can we be clear here - are you saying that road cycling is more dangerous than riding a motorbike? I don't want anecdotal evidence about how you've ridden 502 million miles on your back wheel alone and never had to brake, are you suggesting more cyclists are KSI than motorbike riders?
  • markhewitt1978
    rickbst170 wrote:
    Ps riding road on your own is almost always ducking dull

It depends what sort of person you are and if you are happy with your own company. Personally I'm quite happy out riding on my own for many hours - but I can do the same when walking etc, I appreciate time alone with my own thoughts, but I know others don't like that.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Russyh wrote:
    I also think that Kowalski is talking more about commuters which is a different thing again.

Tbh, I don't know who's worse - them or the mamils...

I know who's worse than both. mamobmso (middle aged men on big motorbikes, small obvious)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    njee20 wrote:
    1) WTF is "CAWT"?

Let me Google that for you.

Concerned About Wind Turbines - durgh.
  • markhewitt1978
    Don't be rediculous, you've just upset all the Commercial Animal Waste Technicians, all of whom ride MTB.