The thread formerly known as "Which Bike with £5-6k"

124»

Comments

• LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    That Legend is stunning. Great choice with the aesthetics of the frame and components.

I don't know about you but I find it difficult to go out on my HT9.5 and do an 'easy' ride. I set off with good intentions of twiddling in the little ring but after a few miles I'm in the big ring blasting along!
  • cdc02254
    cdc02254 Posts: 181
    I really havnt had chance to give it some beans yet. I done a twenty mile spin yesterday but that was mainly getting used to the campag shifters.

Couple of things I would change and a couple of things I'm not happy with.

Tyres:- Spec'd Ultremo HT 25 (all black)
    The bottle cages have been fitted with some very horrible philips bzp screws
    The electrical tape on the bars is creased and a bit ugly
    The handle bar tape on the bar ends is also finished very badly.

Ill post after stage 1 of the London-Paris tomorrow.
  • LegendLust
    Yes the bottle cage screws are a bit odd!

I'd recommend getting some Veloflex tubs - great tyres and they're hand made in the same town as Legend!
  • bigcgilmour
    bigcgilmour Posts: 106

Screws??? Do they not supply bolts???

Do the mounts take a bolt???
  • LegendLust

Screws??? Do they not supply bolts???

Do the mounts take a bolt???

Mine takes bolts so can't understand why screws have been used?
  • But it broke......

Bottom bracket shell cracked all round both sides.

Not repairable :(
  • cdc02254 wrote:
    But it broke......

:shock:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Oh dear, you must be gutted! ...I suppose you can order the replacement in a good colour though and without the flag? There's always an upside ;)

I assume a warranty replacement is being made?
  • S*it happens.

But yes the flag will go and I'm not really all that bothered about the colour.
  • That is ridiculous. I hope Legend are crawling over broken glass to sort you out.
  • That's no good, do you have any idea how/when it broke??? Did you hit something?

I'm still awaiting my legend...it's a long time coming and I won't be happy if there are any problems!!!
  • LegendLust
    cdc02254 wrote:
    But it broke......

:shock: I hope Marco's looking after you
  • Just pulling away from a set of lights and hear a crack then noticed a very wobbly crank.

To be totally honest, the bike took about 5 months to be delivered which I was never very happy about, now I am very concerned about how long a new frame will take and why there was a manufacturing defect on the bike, how they will fix in on a new frame and test the proposed fix before dispatch.

Not very happy....
  • LegendLust
    cdc02254 wrote:
    Just pulling away from a set of lights and hear a crack then noticed a very wobbly crank.

To be totally honest, the bike took about 5 months to be delivered which I was never very happy about, now I am very concerned about how long a new frame will take and why there was a manufacturing defect on the bike, how they will fix in on a new frame and test the proposed fix before dispatch.

Not very happy....

I have heard about these very long lead times creeping in. I know it's still shorter than waiting for an English frame but still a lot longer than the 6-8 weeks Legend quote.

Despite my 'Legend Lust' title, I've been a little pissed off with Legend recently. I introduced a good friend of mine, who is a graphic designer, to design one off custom paint designs for clients that wanted a one off Legend – they paid a premium for this service. A couple of these so called 'one off designs' have then been copied by Legend and introduced onto their production frames. This means a client who paid for a bespoke, one off design, thinking they're getting a Legend that would be unique, will end up with a bike looking like the bloody 2015 range.

Case in point is a Fedaia which was designed for a guy in the North East, the exact same design, minus his sponsors logo appeared in the Legend 2015 production range launch.
  • Thats not good.

I have heard some rather bad stories about the situation at Legend since I paid for my bike but as they are all second hand stories I felt it not my place to share them and give Legend the benefit of doubt, but sadly I have had a bad experience for an awful lot of money and it doesn't seem to be over yet.

Im going to ask Legend to make a titanium frame instead of the HT9.5 I had thought about going for a HT10.5 but them heard about someone having a problem with snapped chain stay.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    LegendLust wrote:
    cdc02254 wrote:
    Despite my 'Legend Lust' title, I've been a little pissed off with Legend recently. I introduced a good friend of mine, who is a graphic designer, to design one off custom paint designs for clients that wanted a one off Legend – they paid a premium for this service. A couple of these so called 'one off designs' have then been copied by Legend and introduced onto their production frames. This means a client who paid for a bespoke, one off design, thinking they're getting a Legend that would be unique, will end up with a bike looking like the bloody 2015 range.

Case in point is a Fedaia which was designed for a guy in the North East, the exact same design, minus his sponsors logo appeared in the Legend 2015 production range launch.
    Well tbh if your friend is a graphic designer, as am I, he should be aware of design copyright, and should have protected it accordingly. Hindsight I know, but there it is. Rather low of Legend have to say.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    LegendLust wrote:
    I have heard about these very long lead times creeping in. I know it's still shorter than waiting for an English frame but still a lot longer than the 6-8 weeks Legend quote.

A bit unfair considering it's a one man show and Rob's still out of commission from his crash a few months ago. Although his backlog was around three years before the accident.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • You cant quote 6-8 weeks lead time then take over 20 weeks without an explanation or an apology.
    It may be a one man show (or 6-7) but they are taking orders that they can not honour and are clearly struggling to retain an acceptable level of manufacturing and QA which would be expected from a bike of this cost.
    Also I wouldn't expect Legend to be copying designs for their production bikes, that's a bit desperate. Maybe if they liked the design they could have contacted the designer and come to an agreement using it.

I'm pissed off the bike took over 5 months to get to me, I rode it for maybe 3 and now I probably wont see it again this year. And that little bespoke experience has cost £8k
  • This doesn't sound promising, went for the legend on the basis of nothing but good reviews, I'm still waiting...although it's not taken 5 months...yet!

Really concerned about this bottom bracket and other frame issues, I was expecting mine to be solid around bb. I'm thinking I'd have been better going with a canyon cervelo or something.

This is meant to be an "all round great" experience
  • If it makes you feel any better, they are aware of the problem and my bike isn't the first they know of so I am assuming they have been working on a fix.

Maybe I was just a bit unlucky, im sure you will be happy.
  • So my replacement frame is being made and Legend have been very good about the whole issue,thy have explained the problem and what went wrong in the manufacturing of the bike and it does seem it was a one off. I've upgraded to HT11.5......
  • LegendLust wrote:
    cdc02254 wrote:
    Just pulling away from a set of lights and hear a crack then noticed a very wobbly crank.

Not very happy....

Are you selling your Legend?
  • LegendLust
    clincher3 wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:
    cdc02254 wrote:

Not very happy....

Are you selling your Legend?

Unfortunately yes. I don't want to, but adapting our house to future proof for my wife's disabilities is far more important.

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12989744
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    LegendLust wrote:

My paintjob! This the design made for Karl?
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    Yes, lucky not may of them gets sold, so I suppose its okay...
    Its still pretty and I enjoy riding it. Recently enquired about a bit of spare paint and comms was great, still awaiting paint though.
  • Wow, I'm glad I don't have that kind of money to have problems that big. £8k is a big headache.

Have you received any updates yet?

Glad you dropped the flag from the TT. Not sure why people insist on such passive aggressive declarations of nationalism via their bike, or a Foska jersey. It's not like you're riding around downtown Mogadishu where being identified as a "friendly" is a matter of life and death.

This problem sounds like a common one with BBs. One maker (Cervelo?) recently reintroduced an Al sleeve into the BB shell to reduce creaking and delam.

Best of luck with the new one. How does the 11.5 differ from the 9.5?
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • just been reading this post with interest and wondered how you got on with your new frame? I don't like suspense !
  • Supporting small makers is very admirable but can they really compete in r & d with big boys such as Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, Canyon etc.? Seems quite likely to end up paying a lot more for a inferior product IMHO.
  • Supporting small makers is very admirable but can they really compete in r & d with big boys such as Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, Canyon etc.? Seems quite likely to end up paying a lot more for a inferior product IMHO.

How are they inferior? Have you ridden a custom carbon frame?

Thing is, what most people don't realise is how little of a mass manufacturers frame price goes into manufacturing. Out of the price they need to recoup R&D, marketing and also the cost of giving all those frames away for free to the pro teams.