Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne *Spoilers*

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited March 2014 in Pro race
Nothing up yet, so I'm taking matters into my own hands...

Startlist here

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/news/final-startlist-2014-kuurne-brussels-kuurne_318232

Point of order- the race goes nowhere near Brussels and turns west at Ninove. I feel so cheated.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    The early goat gets the worm. So who do you fancy for the Kuurne-nowhere near Brussels and actually west at Nonove -Kuurne?

I'm sure OPQS got a flea in their ear after yesterday...unless TB, ZS etc were sandbagging for today...

I want Roelandts to step up today.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    EBH for a sky double.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I haven't been following all the pre-season news/developments so this might be a naive question but why isn't Cav starting? Just on a different schedule this year?
  • I'm sure OPQS got a flea in their ear after yesterday...unless TB, ZS etc were sandbagging for today...

Doesn't look like ZS is joining the party today, not on start list
  • Anyone know what the weather's like? Manky?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Anyone know what the weather's like? Manky?

Sunny spells, about 7C, bit breezy 25kmh from S ish, dry.

So no, not manky I'm afraid.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454

From David Millar's twitter,doesn't look manky at all:

BhtSWr0IIAAmu85.jpg:large
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I've only just clocked that many riders from yesterday are doing it all again today.

And there's me thinking I won't bother riding today because I did a very pleasant 80k (in the sunshine) yesterday morning and it's looking a bit grey out today.
  • Difficult to see past Boonen was that finish. Attack on one of the final 3 hills on the steepest sections. But sentiment would like Chavanel to get it.

Why's Greipel there? Surely he's not going to be able to get over the lumps in contention. Cavendish's win looks freaky from a historical perspective - flatter course?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I was thinking that Greipel would be in with a good chance, but there was some talk of him being unwell earlier in the week.

Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne-1393585758.png
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I've only just clocked that many riders from yesterday are doing it all again today.

It's known as the revenge race for that very reason.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Difficult to see past Boonen was that finish. Attack on one of the final 3 hills on the steepest sections. But sentiment would like Chavanel to get it.

Why's Greipel there? Surely he's not going to be able to get over the lumps in contention. Cavendish's win looks freaky from a historical perspective - flatter course?

He's been getting over the lumps fine in pre-season.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Gotta be Greipel. Half the peloton will be shattered from those conditions yesterday.

Shame no Degenkolb.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Still amused by this

André Greipel is the prime pick for the race if it ends in a bunch sprint. Lotto-Belisol have said he’s snotteren or suffering from a cold in phlegmish Flemish Inner Ring
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Difficult to see past Boonen was that finish. Attack on one of the final 3 hills on the steepest sections. But sentiment would like Chavanel to get it.

He's been getting over the lumps fine in pre-season.

Some pretty step pitches though. He's a big lad. Not know for time trailing. Do Lotto have enough riders to control it well enough to be able to tow him back on for a bunch finish?

If he's still there at the Tiegemburg, someones gonna have a massive dig just to ditch him. Unless lack of radios means he can stealth it...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Sunny spells, about 7C, bit breezy 25kmh from S ish, dry.

So no, not manky I'm afraid.

I can confirm that those are indeed the conditions up this end of Le Plats Pays.

I was looking forward to more rain, the mud on riders faces was giving them all sorts of wonderful faux facial hair.

Griepel's done well over some of the lumpy stuff in the past no? I remember seeing him up the front in these sorts of races in the past, but I think he was riding for others at the time so it may explain why he wasn't at the sharp end come the finish.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Any streams up yet?

It was very pleasant out there today. 8-10c with one of those traditional Belgian winds that's in your face in every direction
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    I''l be sticking with Brit Eurosport, today, as I'm currently recording La Drome Classic
    on French Eurosport and hope to catch a few kms of Lugano, live to record, too.
    3 Live races in one day:What could be better? :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    one of those traditional Belgian winds that's in your face in every direction

That's not just Belgian :( I feel like I've been in a tumble dryer for three hours.

Sporza's coverage starts in 4 minutes apparently.
  • above_the_cows
    Break of 4 have 2.11 on the peloton, 88k to go.

Phinney and Farrar (remember him?) caught out by a crash.
  • above_the_cows
    Peloton has split in two.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    reckon i just saw Haussler in the 2nd group?
  • Was that QS rider peeing off the back caught out?

My viewing pleasure has been severely impeded by forgetting that everything is shut here on a Sunday.

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows
    Crampeur wrote:
    reckon i just saw Haussler in the 2nd group?

I think the second group has managed to get back, all together now.
  • Crampeur
    Its quite nice having CCC here. Almost like an Euskaltel tribute band.
  • above_the_cows
    Was that QS rider peeing off the back caught out?

My viewing pleasure has been severely impeded by forgetting that everything is shut here on a Sunday.

Jammer. To cheer you up, just imagine that Lotto Belisol are transmitting to a faraway galaxy with those helmets.
  • Belkin drive another split

@gietvangent
  • Crampeur
    BMC were chasing down the break with their teamate in it with 80km to go. Keeping it real.
  • above_the_cows
    Belkin are on a mission!
  • above_the_cows
    Splits all over the place.