Omloop Het Nieuwsblad *spoiler* thread

Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Pross wrote:
    Great race, looking forward to proper TV pictures tomorrow for K-B-K tomorrow though.

I know - was someone filming it on a phone and sending it through a 56k modem

I did link to a good quality stream.. It had annoying commercials but the quality was great.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Turfle wrote:
    Let's hope KBK follows in style. Maybe not.

Most definitely not.
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Great race, looking forward to proper TV pictures tomorrow for K-B-K tomorrow though.

I know - was someone filming it on a phone and sending it through a 56k modem

I did link to a good quality stream.. It had annoying commercials but the quality was great.
    I was on that so must be my end - but got a good connection with next doors router ha ha

not sure why I was getting a bad signal
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Hushovd broke his arm
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    Hushovd broke his arm
    Apparently he hasn't. Early reports were wrong.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Boonen has just finished
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Check - Max Sciandri confirms no broken bones for Thor.

Does the result mean I have to leave the Duvel in the garage and go with a pint of Bombardier? (hope not)
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    No energy for celebrations during today's race - leaving it all out there…

841546448.jpg?1393691503
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    A classic edition of the Omloop. Rain makes a difference - let's hope for some good flandriens' weather in April too.
    Very good race by Sky, with Rowe 11th too.

For OPQS I have the impression they counted on Stybar and Terpstra having to do it anyway, with too many eyes on Boonen. It could have been very different without that Boom puncture.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    http://ohn.pro.p.assets.flandersclassics.be/files/1975/original/resultsOHN2014.pdf?1393692817

Full results can be found above. Boonen and Stybar came in 3:46 down in the 2nd big group.

Top 10

1 107 GBR19870525 STANNARD Ian SKY TEAM SKY 4:49:55
    2 58 BEL19850517 VAN AVERMAET Greg BMC BMC RACING TEAM 0:00:00
    3 101 NOR19870517 BOASSON HAGEN Edvald SKY TEAM SKY 0:00:24
    4 46 BEL19880728 VANMARCKE Sep BEL BELKIN-PRO CYCLING TEAM 0:00:24
    5 25 NED19840518 TERPSTRA Niki OPQ OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP CYCLING TEAM 0:00:24
    6 203 LUX19860903 DRUCKER Jean-Pierre WGG WANTY - GROUPE GOBERT 0:01:34
    7 55 USA19900627 PHINNEY Taylor BMC BMC RACING TEAM 0:01:34
    8 94 BEL19830722 DEVENYNS Dries GIA TEAM GIANT-SHIMANO 0:01:34
    9 143 ESP19860331 GARCIA ECHEGUIBEL Egoitz COF COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS 0:01:34
    10 64 FRA19910826 DEMARE Arnaud FDJ FDJ.fr 0:01:34
  • FJS
    Assuming De Omloop is a proper Classic, albeit not a Monument, the first English Classic win since Tommy Simpson?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    FJS wrote:
    Assuming De Omloop is a proper Classic, albeit not a Monument, the first English Classic win since Tommy Simpson?
    Barry Hoban won Gent-Wevelgem.

(And Dan Martin won Liege-Bastogne-Liege **ducks flying hurling stick**)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    The way Stannard created the break and then won is more by a steady, inexorable increase in speed than an actual sprint. Almost more impressive.
  • FJS
    RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    But I thought that was a chipper? :wink:
  • iainf72
    FJS wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:

It is.

And the Omloop is still a semi-classic.

:P
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    iainf72 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:

It is.

:P

Is MSR not a classic?

Or is it a monument but not a classic?

Meh! You were talking English not British - same difference I suppose
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72

Is MSR not a classic?

Or is it a monument but not a classic?

M-SR is both.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Stannard looks bloody miserable.
    His job today was to get the win for EBH. he thinks he's failed. :D

Great ride, great race.

Why don't we task him with something eminently more achievable such as harnessing nuclear fusion or world peace.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • FJS
    iainf72 wrote:
    I can live with that, but it pretty much means Classic and Monument are synonymous. Or do you have another race that would be a Classic but not a Monument?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    How comes G wasn't riding today? Thought he would have been in there getting prep in for Flanders or is he being saved as a super dom for the stage race squad?
  • iainf72
    FJS wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I can live with that, but it pretty much means Classic and Monument are synonymous. Or do you have another race that would be a Classic but not a Monument?

Nah.

I like the Omloop as it's a great race, all the main characters there but doesn't seem as serious as some of the other Flanders races. It's also why I like E3 (another semi-classic I'd say)
  • Yellow Peril
    FJS wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I can live with that, but it pretty much means Classic and Monument are synonymous. Or do you have another race that would be a Classic but not a Monument?[/quote]

Fleche- Wallone
    @JaunePeril

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Apologies if this one has already been posted, can't recall seeing it but says it all about what it takes to win a race like this

BhqAsAPCEAETMvw.jpg:medium
  • Yellow Peril
    Pross wrote:
    Apologies if this one has already been posted, can't recall seeing it but says it all about what it takes to win a race like this

BhqAsAPCEAETMvw.jpg:medium

Superb picture. Hardmen in tough conditions, thoroughly heavyweight result. TB buckled in the adverse conditions as per MSR last year. Perhaps by then it was too late to unleash Stybar, thoughts anyone?
    @JaunePeril

• philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I was out for a ride so only caught the last 20 mins on the link posted on page 2 (thanks very much for that btw) even with the Dutch? commentary it was a really exciting finish. I really enjoyed it, great race and well done Stannard.

It was pretty sunny in Yorkshire, so it made a brilliant contrast watching the foul Belgium weather!
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Don't know why I didn't go for Stannard, probably because, as has been said, he usually works for someone else. Epic win. He must have Belgian blood in his family somewhere.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    FJS wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I can live with that, but it pretty much means Classic and Monument are synonymous. Or do you have another race that would be a Classic but not a Monument?[/quote]

Fleche- Wallone

Amstel Gold as well?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Stannard looks bloody miserable.
    His job today was to get the win for EBH. he thinks he's failed. :D

Great ride, great race.

I almost thought when he was easing up in the last km or so that he was waiting for ebh to come back. Him having worked sep and t so hard and him thinking he couldn't take gva.

Would be nice if he smiled or celebrated after though. When he crossed the line it looked like 'job done, where is the bus'.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Bhpx50QCQAAGnWX.png

Nice - looked much closer on tv.
    Contador is the Greatest