Pub Talk - Greatest Cycling Photo Ever!

Comments

• Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Love this one: LuzArdiden-620x394.jpg
  • You know, I've always wondered what those handlebars were supposed to achieve.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Fantastic thread, loving all these photos. This one is great - anyone know who took it? (Thor Hushvold at Milan San Remo in 2013)
    thor-hushovd-snow-milan-san-remo.jpg
  • Not sure if the link will work, as it's from Greg Lemond's Facebook page (some really interesting photos regularly posted on his FB page), but I like this pic - think I had it on my wall at the time...
    1421315_10151819442848494_899542460_o.jpg
  • Last of my GL pics for today (I'm a bit of a fanboy - Greg was my idol when I started to get seriously into bikes) - love this one of him putting down the power in the big ring:
    1385567_10151775044398494_399944426_n.jpg
  • You'll all know this one
    Bernard-Hinault-punch.jpg

There is actually quite a lot going on in this photo. At first glance it looks like Monsieur Hinault is being a little heavy handed but I have only just noticed that the guy about to get a sound thrashing has a hold on Phil Anderson's arm! That protester has certainly crossed the line and Hinault is fully justified in bringing his biggest can of whoop-ass to the party. Phil Anderson's response is quite disappointing. I always thought the Aussies liked a good scrap. Marino Lejarreta's twin brother appears to be next on Hinault's hit list. The guy behind Hinualt in the Addidas jacket is probably thinking "Aw fook, Hinault has lost it. I'm outta here!"

I'd like to see Jeremy Clarkson call Hinault a cheese-eating surrender monkey. He'd quickly be chewing on a badger-flavoured knuckle sandwich.:D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,026
    Not necessarily the greatest but I've always found '98 TdF pantani, with the bike, the kit etc as particularly photogenic.

These 3 in particular I'm keen on.
    marco_pantani_hr_600.jpg

marco-pantani.jpg

pantani_15.jpg
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,130
    This is the best one ever. Coppi and Bartali were opponents, but they are sharing the bottle... to this day nobody knows who passed the bottle to whom... Coppi died young and Bartali was a true gentleman and when asked, he smiled and said it was Coppi who passed it to him... do you believe him?

coppi-bartali.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Some good picks / pics here.
    Someone mentioned Hinault in '78 - here it is.
    The Cav pick was just such a great moment, seeing a British yellow jersey leading out a British world champ to win an exciting stage.
    The Creed piccie is an OK photo, but I just love that he did this.

1978_tour_rider_protest.jpg

18CavHoriz148951357WEB.jpg

san_francisco_grand_prix_09_04_2005_pic040_600.jpg
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    Extralight wrote:
    Fantastic thread, loving all these photos. This one is great - anyone know who took it? (Thor Hushvold at Milan San Remo in 2013)
    thor-hushovd-snow-milan-san-remo.jpg

I think it comes from Brake Through Media, it's certainly in their MSR gallery:

http://www.brakethroughmedia.com/#!/index/C00004a1H9xu3kNQ/G0000SLk6i8rLugo/24
  • bom.jpg

tumblr-lnrx6pzx2y1qa3ggpo1.jpg

plus ca change...
  • Andreas-Gursky-Tour-de-France-I-2007.jpg
    Andreas Gursky - Tour de France I (2007) - Mt Ventoux
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    I don't know which climb that is, but it's not Ventoux (not least because they didn't do it in 2007)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,142
    RichN95 wrote:
    I don't know which climb that is, but it's not Ventoux (not least because they didn't do it in 2007)

Way too many hairpins too surely? Always thought Ventoux was pretty straight. Port de Pailheres maybe? Nice photo though.
  • Extralight
    Extralight Posts: 136
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Way too many hairpins too surely? Always thought Ventoux was pretty straight. Port de Pailheres maybe? Nice photo though.

Looks like the Bonnette to me, although it's almost 20 years since I rode it, and I've no idea if this was in the 2007 TdF, so I'm likely to be wrong!

Thanks GPReeves for sourcing the Hushvold pic that I posted.
  • Extralight
    Not the greatest cycling photo ever, but one of my best cycling pics. Anyone know who it is, and, for exctra bonus points, what race and when?
    taffi.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    edited March 2014
    Extralight wrote:
    Not the greatest cycling photo ever, but one of my best cycling pics. Anyone know who it is, and, for exctra bonus points, what race and when?
    taffi.jpg
    It looks a bit like Dmitri Konyshev or maybe Andrei Tchmil.

Edit: Or having now looked at the photo URL in the response box I reckon it's Andrea Tafi.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Extralight
    Right era, wrong rider. I've been looking without success for an awesome pic that I remember being in The Comic years ago, of Sean Yates in Motorola kit descending, with terrible road rash on his lower leg, and his arm taped up (if I remember rightly, it was punctured by a brake lever). Aside from the whole LA business, what an awesome rider, and nice guy too. When I first met him, I was astounded how thin he was, given how big he looked on the bike. Anyway, here's a substitute pic of 'Big Sean' in action:
    yates_motorola.jpg
  • Extralight
    I'll try that again: tumblr_m0vl27Oe2u1rpjvf3o1_500.jpg
  • Extralight
    Rich, you cheated! Can you get the year and the race without cheating?
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Extralight wrote:
    Rich, you cheated! Can you get the year and the race without cheating?
    I suspect he's doping. :shock:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • The one labelled as Ventoux 2007, is that the l'Iseran?

They used it that year in the stage that finished in Briancon
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,026
    Not necessarily the greatest but I've always found '98 TdF pantani, with the bike, the kit etc as particularly photogenic.

marco_pantani_hr_600.jpg

marco-pantani.jpg

pantani_15.jpg

No love for any of these?

Forget it's Pantani for a moment.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,144
    What do people think the essential ingredients for a truly great cycling photo are?

For me, the best of the best capture something even if you don't know the riders or the race. It's enough to recognise the pain/elegance/excitement etc. In the history of cycling countless riders have crossed the line first, whether by millimetres or kilometres. If you don't know it's a great rider and you don't know it was the queen stage of a dramatic TdF (for instance) is the picture still great?

On the other hand, there are plenty of great pictures that capture something of a great champion, or a defining moment in cycling history, where the mystique and importance of the rider/moment are part of our cultural tradition.... You can't see the classic pics of Hinault, for example, without seeing the man's legendary drive and aggression.

PS Rick - Pantani (et al) sitting in the road at the '98 TdF is one of the sport's lowest points for me. Important historically, and accurate portrayal of cycling at the time, but all the romanticism of cycling is stripped away to leave the ugliness. Not my favourite pic by a long shot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892

marco_pantani_hr_600.jpg

marco-pantani.jpg

pantani_15.jpg

No love for any of these?

Forget it's Pantani for a moment.

I like them because it's Pantani to be honest :)
  • Rudd
    Rudd Posts: 264
    I love these picture! Also happen to have some wall to fill.......anyone know of a good website that I could get some good quality prints from.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    The one labelled as Ventoux 2007, is that the l'Iseran?

They used it that year in the stage that finished in Briancon

Does l'Iseran have that many hairpins?

If the 2007 label is correct, it should be one of the ones from this list:

http://www.climbbybike.com/race.asp?Race=Tour2007
  • Extralight
    The first and second Pantani photos are awesome. At that time, I was in blissful ignorance of the scale or nature of doping, and loved watching Il Pirata race. On the drops, uphill - a really distinctive and aggressive style. And I loved the yellow Corsa CX tubs!
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    1930, Victor Fontan
    PHO1d1a9e9e-dfd6-11e2-bf56-22d2e2e8741f-805x453.jpg

Charly Gaul
    cycling882.jpg

My fave
    oly_tourdefrance_10.jpg
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,064
    Extralight wrote:
    taffi.jpg

Is it Christophe Agnolutto? It looks very like the Bosberg, but the close ratio front chainrings make me think it's from Paris-Roubaix, so I'll hazard a guess at the Arenberg.