Pub Talk - Greatest Cycling Photo Ever!

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    TheWin1994_2.jpg

Bugno wins Flanders in 1994, by a mere 5 mm. For days thereafter Museeuw senior (and probably much of Belgium) contested Bugno's victory, claiming son Johann M. had crossed the line first.

Bugno’s win wasn’t undeserved on the day, but it was a surprise because after big wins and high placings in '90 and '91, in the following two years he only managed 2 victories (admittedly one the '92 WC RR). His win coincided with one of the first times it was suspected many riders may be using Epo. On the eve of the race journalists questioned Verbruggen about this possibility, to which HV answered "it's just speculation".
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    A few for the gallery:
    7cf3516c60b52d77ed1bcc06a2522b84.jpg

Always like this one, really captures the speed and fun sensation of body shift/balance through corners.
    This is a great photo, is it a period photo or a modern one with retro kit?

I'm pretty sure it is of it's time. Bikes are called Path Racers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_Racer

Yep - period shot but AFAIK the rider and situation are unknown. The rider - totally focused and in the moment.
    He'd want to be! One little bump and he'll have no front teeth at all.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    knedlicky wrote:
    TheWin1994_2.jpg

Bugno wins Flanders in 1994, by a mere 5 mm. For days thereafter Museeuw senior (and probably much of Belgium) contested Bugno's victory, claiming son Johann M. had crossed the line first.

Bugno’s win wasn’t undeserved on the day, but it was a surprise because after big wins and high placings in '90 and '91, in the following two years he only managed 2 victories (admittedly one the '92 WC RR). His win coincided with one of the first times it was suspected many riders may be using Epo. On the eve of the race journalists questioned Verbruggen about this possibility, to which HV answered "it's just speculation".

Not like Johan wasn't on the "wasp" at all was it...?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Macaloon wrote:
    Pixel for pixel this gives me more goosebumps than many

koen-mollema_zps69b96cda.jpg
    What, a picture of a red cross and the word 'Image'?

Oh, that's just work blocking Photobucket.... :x
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Forget the personalities (if only) but it cannot be denied that this was the defining image of this era, IMHO.
    2005-06-30-lance-look.jpg
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    That, or this one

6a00d83453140969e2017ee4192cfc970d-pi
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    phreak wrote:
    That, or this one

Good point.

Perhaps 'the look' defines the racing and the other defines the cheating.

Although actually neither the best photo, so perhaps not relevant
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    'The look' was never 'the look'. He didn't look at Ullrich - at least not in the way people would like to think he did.
  • phreak wrote:
    That, or this one

When seeing this again, I still can't get over the chutzpah of the man.

They could just put this picture in the dictionary instead of a definition of chutzpah.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,146
    FocusZing wrote:
    A few for the gallery:

Always like this one, really captures the speed and fun sensation of body shift/balance through corners.

I just can't work out how he keeps grip, especially on that loose road surface. It just seems impossible!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Paul 8v wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    A few for the gallery:

This is a great photo, is it a period photo or a modern one with retro kit?

I'm pretty sure it is of it's time. Bikes are called Path Racers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_Racer

Yep - period shot but AFAIK the rider and situation are unknown. The rider - totally focused and in the moment.
    Ah thanks guys, very similar to the "New" Gravel Racing phenomenon in the US at the moment. Nothing is new :mrgreen:

Makes the lean on my photo from the other day look a bit pathetic eh Frenchie!?
  • knedlicky wrote:
    TheWin1994_2.jpg

Bugno wins Flanders in 1994, by a mere 5 mm.

The aesthetics suffer badly with the Polti kit. Worst ever?
  • Paul 8v
    knedlicky wrote:
    TheWin1994_2.jpg

Bugno wins Flanders in 1994, by a mere 5 mm.

The aesthetics suffer badly with the Polti kit. Worst ever?
    I liked the Polti kit, but I was 11 at the time...

Worst kit is the one that looks like a mechanic's overalls (Worn by some guy with a mullet who's name escapes me)
  • Castorama and Brochard. Think Polti takes it for me.
  • TheWin1994_2.jpg

What's with Bugno's overly long shorts? Or too short tights?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Worst kit is the one that looks like a mechanic's overalls (Worn by some guy with a mullet who's name escapes me)

I raise you...

press_kit_full_team_portrait_600.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    Re: that Bugno Flanders photo. I'm always amazed at how rubbish and non-descript the finishing lines used to be. A single line of paint like a primary school sports day.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I believe there's still a women's team in the Footon 'gold'.

Oh god they might as well just wear full body Spanx instead of kit. :shock:
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    RichN95 wrote:
    Re: that Bugno Flanders photo. I'm always amazed at how rubbish and non-descript the finishing lines used to be. A single line of paint like a primary school sports day.

I know what you mean, but some of the finishes now have gone too far the other way making it difficult to work out where the line actually is. :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,856
    Some gems on the Giro's FB page today

1654300_10151940653413247_1804311643_n.jpg

1924927_10151940652883247_23285397_n.jpg

923486_10151940653373247_1023739269_n.jpg

1975000_10151940653728247_1951844418_n.jpg

1978629_10151940653863247_98066646_n.jpg

1798420_10151940653858247_541930472_n.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

The Footon team's marketing director is on the phone, he says to come in Monday
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    TheWin1994_2.jpg

That's Museeuw in the navy 3/4s, Bugno in the Polti kit just managing not to throw the win - I have this race on VHS somewhere. I liked the Polti kit (in my 30's at the time, so no excuse) - anyone got a picture of Outshakov in and his mullet outsprinting Lance at Revel in the '95 Tour?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,146
    Those Giro ones posted by TWH are just what I like. How many other sports (other than those that specifically require them) would go ahead in those conditions, especially the bottom one? Unfortunately last season showed that racing in weather like that is gradually being phased out, I can understand why but it does take away another romantic element of the sport. Notice the shorts sleeves and fingerless mitts in each photo too!
  • Paul 8v wrote:

Laurent?...

tumblr_mjuncrrq0L1qbxnpgo1_400.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    wardieboy wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Laurent?...

tumblr_mjuncrrq0L1qbxnpgo1_400.jpg
    That's it!
  • Paul 8v
    Pross wrote:
    Those Giro ones posted by TWH are just what I like. How many other sports (other than those that specifically require them) would go ahead in those conditions, especially the bottom one? Unfortunately last season showed that racing in weather like that is gradually being phased out, I can understand why but it does take away another romantic element of the sport. Notice the shorts sleeves and fingerless mitts in each photo too!
    I do enjoy reading about the older races, men were definitely men back then riding old bikes with by today's standards no brakes and with only a flip flop hub some great bikes and pictures on this link: http://velosvintage.over-blog.com/artic ... 79381.html
  • mm1 wrote:
    TheWin1994_2.jpg

That's Museeuw in the navy 3/4s, Bugno in the Polti kit just managing not to throw the win - I have this race on VHS somewhere. I liked the Polti kit (in my 30's at the time, so no excuse) - anyone got a picture of Outshakov in and his mullet outsprinting Lance at Revel in the '95 Tour?

Did I say Bugno? Oh I did! whoops, long day.
    I believe there's still a women's team in the Footon 'gold'.

The Footon team's marketing director is on the phone, he says to come in Monday

Finally my dream job! Wat leuk :D
  • Thanks for those shots TWH. Hadnt seen the first Coppi one...good enough to go on the wall tbh.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    mm1 wrote:
    TheWin1994_2.jpg

Did I say Bugno? Oh I did! whoops, long day.

Incidently, the 3/4 length short was invented by Edwig Van Hooydonck, to combat a knee problem.