Off to Scotland tomorrow, anything I need to look out for ?

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
Im off to collect a car tomorrow in Glasgow and wondered if there was anything I need to look out for other than the odd forum member.
Ideally I would like to get through this experience intact and having had a decent couple of days.

Advice greatly appreciated.
Living MY dream.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    VTech wrote:
    Im off to collect a car tomorrow in Glasgow and wondered if there was anything I need to look out for other than the odd forum member.
    Ideally I would like to get through this experience intact and having had a decent couple of days.

Don't go to Scotland then :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Be on the look out for Zombies.
  • bdu98252
    bdu98252 Posts: 171
    Watch out for Braveheart impersonators. A dangerous menace up there with the NED on Bucky.
  • Watch out for those horrible little things that end up making you itch a lot. They slightly resemble women.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    VTech wrote:

I would watch out for signs to the south and signs to Stranraer. Do not confuse the two.

Seriously though, Glasgow is somewhere where they talk to you in a queue, view standing next to someone for more than 30 secs without talking as anti social behaviour, and is no where near as hard as the accent might imply.

Stick to around George square and a pleasant evening can be had, the tapas place just off George square is good ( forget its name, but it has the traditional Andalusian appearance), and a wee dram talking to the hotel bar man can be very pleasant. Take an interest in scotch and it opens up some great conversations.

The couriers on their fixies are manic when you see the slope on the streets.

Glasgow is also the home of George Rennie Macintosh, so,watch out for that.

However, for us from down south, it is cold, so wrap up,warm.
  • My favourite pub in Glasgow is the Bon Accord near the Mitchell Library. Good beer, Ok food, friendly staff and customers. Little bit out of the city centre, but still walking distance from George Square. Worth trying the Horseshoe Bar as well if it is still there.
    For eating there is a wealth of good Italian places, something lacking in Norwich. If you want to go a bit upmarket you could try the Ubiquitous Chip in the West End or Stravagen which is meant to be good. Good choice of curry houses as well.
    For culture you could try Kelvingrove art gallery or the transport museum down on the river.
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Be prepared for good drink,tasty food,beautiful landscape,lovely women and great banter.
  • arran77
    Be prepared for good drink,tasty food,beautiful landscape,lovely women and great banter.

What, when he crosses the border back into England :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    arran77 wrote:

What, when he crosses the border back into England :P

Nooo - note that the tasty food, beautiful landscape, lovely women and great banter come after the good drink! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    florerider wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I would watch out for signs to the south and signs to Stranraer. Do not confuse the two.

Seriously though, Glasgow is somewhere where they talk to you in a queue, view standing next to someone for more than 30 secs without talking as anti social behaviour, and is no where near as hard as the accent might imply.

Stick to around George square and a pleasant evening can be had, the tapas place just off George square is good ( forget its name, but it has the traditional Andalusian appearance), and a wee dram talking to the hotel bar man can be very pleasant. Take an interest in scotch and it opens up some great conversations.

Glasgow is also the home of Charles Rennie Macintosh, so,watch out for that.

FTFY :wink:
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Crescent wrote:
    florerider wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Glasgow is also the home of Charles Rennie Macintosh, so,watch out for that.

FTFY :wink:

No, Glasgow is home to George Rennie Macintosh - Charles less talented younger brother who invented self collapsing Ikea furniture.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    If you go into the hills watch out for haggis.
  • arran77
    Watch out for those horrible little things that end up making you itch a lot. They slightly resemble women.

Do you mean Scottish women?

seanoconn
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Can Recommend 2 areas of Glasgow to give a try, the merchant city has lots of pubs & restaurants mainly Italian like qua or the Italian kitchen both on Ingram street, about 5 mins walk is the salt market were billy billsland cycles are. Robert millar's Peugeot bike and woolen jersey is has just been put in the front window if you fancy a look.

The west end is a really nice place with trendy bars and nice eateries on Byrnes road or in the back lanes just off it. Paperinos Italian on Byres road or the bothy behind it in the lane. Ashton lane across the road has some nice places like the ubiquitous chip. The loft another Italian or Ashoka Indian. There is a cycle cafe at the bottom of Byres road and the corner of Dumbarton road called Siempre.

Ps. Would stay clear of the pubs in sauchiehall street late on...as a bit of bother can sometimes prevail lol.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I have not been to Glasgow for a while, but every time I go I eat here , food is amazing
    Mother India, Westminster Terrace
  • florerider
    anyone heard from V-tech?
    Did he get back with the wheels on?
  • arran77
    florerider wrote:

He's probably chained up in Pina's basement :wink:

seanoconn
  • florerider
    he should have known not to mention the Scottish play
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    arran77 wrote:
    florerider wrote:

He's probably chained up in Pina's basement :wink:

poor bugger :(
  • rayjay wrote:
    I have not been to Glasgow for a while, but every time I go I eat here , food is amazing
    Mother India, Westminster Terrace

Great food.

The West End is bursting with amazing eating places at the moment. If Glasgow wasn't full of Weegies it would be the perfect city (says the Fifer living in Dundee :lol: )
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    What currency are you going to use?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    RideOnTime wrote:
    What currency are you going to use?

Deep fried pizzas?
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    Go to the West End - near Hillhead tube station and try the Ubiquitous Chip off Byres Road. Really good food and drink
  • VTech
    We ate at Chardon d'Or which was fantastic, no one stole the wheels off the new car and we got back safely.
    On a serious note, the place was far better than I had expected, there is obviously a lot of poverty around but we were made very welcome and didn't feel unsafe even when walking around the city.
    The car dealer was actually one of the friendliest I've ever dealt with and would go back again.
    Living MY dream.
  • What exactly were you expecting ?
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • VTech
    I had been told how the poverty in Glasgow had caused serious problems and I had briefly visited early last year to visit a friend who suffered a serious accident after a rally crash and was in Glasgow Hospital and I had to walk past 2 people injecting into their arm on a concrete staircase. I wasn't overly enthused by the area and wouldn't have wanted to live their based on my findings.
    I also have friends through work who live quite local'ish who all say how bad the region has deteriorated over the past 6 years. I was taking the family so didn't want anything negative for them to experience.
    Living MY dream.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    VTech wrote:
    I had been told how the poverty in Glasgow had caused serious problems and I had briefly visited early last year to visit a friend who suffered a serious accident after a rally crash and was in Glasgow Hospital and I had to walk past 2 people injecting into their arm on a concrete staircase. I wasn't overly enthused by the area and wouldn't have wanted to live their based on my findings.
    I also have friends through work who live quite local'ish who all say how bad the region has deteriorated over the past 6 years. I was taking the family so didn't want anything negative for them to experience.

Glasgow has its bad areas like every other city in the UK, it also has some very nice areas like every other city in the UK. It sounds like your last visit was to one of the less desirable areas. I daresay it's no better or no worse than Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle etc. I'm glad your recent visit has allowed you to see that the city has several good sides to it.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • VTech
    Crescent wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Glasgow has its bad areas like every other city in the UK, it also has some very nice areas like every other city in the UK. It sounds like your last visit was to one of the less desirable areas. I daresay it's no better or no worse than Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle etc. I'm glad your recent visit has allowed you to see that the city has several good sides to it.

To be fair, I couldn't have had two more different visits to the same venue.

The trip this week had zero bad points, I got a great deal on a car (enough to make me fly to scotland) and everyone I came into contact with were fantastic. We will be going back with the kids.
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    VTech wrote:
    We ate at Chardon d'Or which was fantastic.......

........new car.......

Now we discover the true reason for this thread :roll:

:P

seanoconn
  • VTech
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    We ate at Chardon d'Or which was fantastic.......

........new car.......

Now we discover the true reason for this thread :roll:

:P

The 6th word of my initial post was car, that was and always will be the main reason for the trip ?
    Living MY dream.