Bike Radar Spring Fling 2014. May 11th

124»

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Are you using the WE meaning you will show up under those conditions? :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Are you using the WE meaning you will show up under those conditions? :wink:

Unfortunately I wouldn't want to show every one up with my wet weather riding skills :wink: (Which normally means crashing :wink: )

Seriously though, I'm just waiting to see how the weekend develops.

When the PM's are back send me your Moby Number and I'll confirm late Saturday/Sunday AM via Text.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I'll be there, just stuck mudguards on my retrobike so it would be a shame not to turn up. Wind is looking good to get me blown across from Chelters in the morning, could be gurning a bit on the way home :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I'll be there, just stuck mudguards on my retrobike so it would be a shame not to turn up. Wind is looking good to get me blown across from Chelters in the morning, could be gurning a bit on the way home :)

That's the spirit... shame I won't be on my retrobike (unless the forecast changes dramatically) as it's a primadonna with tubulars and all things...
    More likely it will be the crosser
  • ugo.santalucia
    Given it is likely going to be a blustery day, I thought appropriate to avoid descending Edge Hill, as it's a 50 mph descent, potentially dangerous in high wind... the good news is we will go UP Edge Hill instead... (one of the Simon Warden famous 100 climbs VOL. 2) 1 Km at 11% should quiet down any chatting in the peloton and we will see how many agree in Warren's 1/10 assessment.
    SO, the route is exactly the same, but it goes clockwise, instead of anti... revised Strava GPS thingy here

http://www.strava.com/routes/326441
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    How does Edge Hill compare against Barhatch Lane??
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ugo.santalucia
    It's just a small hill with a big history, I wouldn't worry too much... as the road is wide and well paved for English standards it's a joy to descend on a less blustery day
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've recently done Fleet Moss and Great Dun Fell, so Edge Hill should be a doddle. And I much prefer going up hills than down them :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • charlie_potatoes
    It's just a small hill with a big history, I wouldn't worry too much... as the road is wide and well paved for English standards it's a joy to descend on a less blustery day

Who's worried ? :D I like a hill or two. Might swap my 'Essex' cassette over just in case though :wink:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Sorry Lads, got a problem with an operation I had and something is going amiss, so I'm going to stay close to home in case I need to get to the hospital.

Have a good dry ride.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Forecast on the UP :D

See you tomorrow at 9 AM
  • charlie_potatoes
    Forecast on the UP :D

See you tomorrow at 9 AM

Yep! I'm checking it every 5 minutes too :D
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Sorry guys, I can't now make it.
    Have fun and be safe.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Now looking almost dry in the cotswolds... 8)
  • drlodge
    Yeh not too bad at all. I'm packing the winter bike though.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    errmmm, I hope you all enjoyed the ride. For some reason I had it in my mind that it was a 10:00 meet for a 10:30 start...so rode over and then had no choice but to ride home again as I didn't have the route mapped. What an idiot! I think you chaps passed me in Middle Barton, obviously going the other way!! I was in the light blue Planet X top and looking smug as I thought I was bang on time, ha!

http://www.strava.com/activities/139873316

Ho hum, always next year. Sorry Paolo :(
  • ugo.santalucia
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    errmmm, I hope you all enjoyed the ride. For some reason I had it in my mind that it was a 10:00 meet for a 10:30 start...so rode over and then had no choice but to ride home again as I didn't have the route mapped. What an idiot! I think you chaps passed me in Middle Barton, obviously going the other way!! I was in the light blue Planet X top and looking smug as I thought I was bang on time, ha!

http://www.strava.com/activities/139873316

Ho hum, always next year. Sorry Paolo :(

I knew it was you, my sixth sense never lies!
    I wanted to stop you, but then I looked at the watch and thought... naaaa it can't be him... :?
  • ugo.santalucia
    I hope a good day was had by all, it is one of my favourite loops in the south.
    The day started with Charlie locking himself out of the car in a fashion that any car dealer would describe as "impossible". Then Paul broke the rules and came with untested equipment, tubulars without a spare... guess who punctured? Once he broke the valve in the attempt to gunk the tyre with sealant, his day was over, although he managed to get to the cafe', so at least he was not stranded in the countryside.
    We then tackled Edge hill and agreed Simon Warren's 1/10 is bollox. We religiously sticked to the 15 mph advertised.
    Most importantly the weather held up nicely and the forecasted fierce wind turned out to be a fresh breeze.

What did we learn that we didn't know already?

1) Chinese carbon wheels are unreliable... :twisted:
    2) 32 spoked handbuilt climb Edge hill 30 seconds faster than Ksyrium Elite and Fulcrum (yes Charlie, I did count them) 8)
    3) If you have a Mondeo and a Transit, keep the keys separate
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    To be fair they're not Chinese and the bit that broke was from Continental. Gunk has worked, I have the tyre off, the valve back in less extender and holding air. So the unknown, untested part worked, it was just the pumping the tyre up bit that caused difficulties, and I've done that many times.

Lovely ride otherwise, and I would have sat on the front on the return leg...

Anyway back in time for the GP.

Paul
  • charlie_potatoes
    What did we learn that we didn't know already?

1) Chinese carbon wheels are unreliable... :twisted:
    2) 32 spoked handbuilt climb Edge hill 30 seconds faster than Ksyrium Elite and Fulcrum (yes Charlie, I did count them) 8)
    3) If you have a Mondeo and a Transit, keep the keys separate

Everyday is a school day :D
    And I was nowhere near max on Edge Hill..... Honest :wink:
  • charlie_potatoes
    Great Route Ugo. Thanks for putting the ride together.
    Nice to meet you all.
    Sorry we missed you Bobbinogs
  • drlodge
    Yes thanks Paolo for organising the ride and everyone else for the entertainment :lol:

CharliePots - what was the outcome with your car in the end? Wondering if you're now Charlie Roast Potatoes or Charlie Boiled Potatoes.
    Find me on Strava
  • charlie_potatoes
    drlodge wrote:
    Yes thanks Paolo for organising the ride and everyone else for the entertainment :lol:

CharliePots - what was the outcome with your car in the end? Wondering if you're now Charlie Roast Potatoes or Charlie Boiled Potatoes.

RAC got us in within 10 mins. We got home around 1700hrs so not too bad in the end.
  • ugo.santalucia
    So basically the moral is: if you are a car thief and you want to give up that life, get a job at RAC... :shock: