Bike Radar Spring Fling 2014. May 11th

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,266
    VTech wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    What sort of speed you guys going off at ?
    Ive not cycled on the road for ages so even as an unfit guy I'm even more road-unfit.
    I would definitely be up for it if I were not to hold the group up but can see there are some serious riders on the list.
    15-16 mph average on a hilly course (you probably know the course, as it's your area)

At 15-16 ill probably need a car !
    I would definitely love to attend but seriously doubt I would have even a hope of keeping up for more than a few miles.

Only you can judge that. If you know your way round, you can always head back if you feel the pace is too fast. If you don't know your way round, then best not.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    My training this year has been shite, and I resemble Mr Bloobby, but I shall just load the route onto my Garmin and take it from there, I don't have any problem on flat courses but because of my weight I always am slow on hills but make up with gravity on the descents.

Just do the ride on the basis of what it was established for...some fun and banter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,327
    I may be out. I've been given another date for my shoulder to be done of the 7th May. They say no strenuous exercise for two weeks afterwards, but I guess that means not to use the shoulder. Biggest problem will be convincing the wife I'm up to it. Unfortunately having had a couple of stupid accidents that have hospitalised me in the past I don't like to make her worry any more than I have to.
    I really hope to go as I need to put some miles on as I don't if left to my own devices and it's always good to put faces to names.
    I'm certainly not particularly fast so am definitely going with Velonutters last sentence.
    Ugo I'll let you know if I can give you a lift nearer the time.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I really hope to go as I need to put some miles on as I don't if left to my own devices and it's always good to put faces to names. .

If you are short of legs and short of one shoulder it might turn out to be a tough day
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I really hope to go as I need to put some miles on as I don't if left to my own devices and it's always good to put faces to names. .

If you are short of legs and short of one shoulder it might turn out to be a tough day
    Legs should manage if it's not faster than the ride into Surrey we took a while back, they are no worse than they were then. Shoulder I have no idea. They inject steroid and saline into the joint to try and free it off, supposedly it's quite painful for a bit afterwards. Riding on road might be ok, I'll have to look out for big bumps I guess. I shouldn't think I'll be able to ride off road for a while after though. I'll see how it feels and maybe try to ride to work on the Friday.
  • ugo.santalucia
    - 11 days to the BR Spring Fling 2014... also named "the battle of Edge Hill".
    Meeting point is Lower Heyford station car park at 9:00 AM for a sharp 9:30 start. If you are late, please don't delay everybody, but rather head to Bloxham and meet us en route, we'll probably pass through the town around 10:15 give or take. We will pass through Bloxham on the way back too, so no need to panic.

The route is mapped here, roughly 60 miles with 1,000 metres of climbing, mostly on very quiet lanes. We aim for a 15 mph average, what I call brisk leisurely pace.

http://www.strava.com/routes/181889

Please refrain from showing up with a bike that has just been delivered to you or parts you have fitted in a rush the night before. If you have the choice, come with the reliable bike, the one that's done LEJoG is perfect.
  • veronese68
    I'm definitely out. Told the Mrs I was hoping to give it a go and got called various names, stupid and idiot were the printable ones. Apparently I'm not even supposed to be driving by then. I did try pointing out that a cars steering was a lot heavier than my bikes but it didn't help. I got what could be called an old fashioned look.
    Have fun and sorry I can't join you.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm definately possibly in having spoken to my OH and got permission :shock:

Another Campag Super Record rider here, I hope I don't have to mix with any ShimaNO riders :wink:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Velonutter
    :mrgreen:
    drlodge wrote:
    I'm definitely possibly in having spoken to my OH and got permission :shock:

Another Campag Super Record rider here, I hope I don't have to mix with any ShimaNO riders :wink:

Blimey, I am going to have to give some of you lot a pep talk, Men do not ask for permission, they tell their other halves to sort themselves out for the day as they are off riding :roll:

It's taken me 30 years to train my wife, one very difficult woman to train :roll: but I was adamant that she would learn the proper way :mrgreen::D

I had her permission to write the above :mrgreen:
  • drlodge
    "Calm down dear, its only a bike ride"

It was less asking permission, more to manage her expectations since I would normally go for a club ride (up at 8, back by 2) but this ride will be longer hours. We only have every other weekend together, so I am careful not to be out too much on "our" weekends and avoid conflict. Am in the process of a divorce, and don't want to screw this relationship up ;-)

Looking forward to the banter!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    Just checked... it's not my first wedding anniversary, so all clear... :wink:
  • drlodge
    No not your first, but possibly the last...
    Find me on Strava
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Sounds lots of fun, and in my sort of area, but unfortunately I'll be in Belfast for the Giro start so can't join in.

Hope you all have lots of fun :)
  • veronese68
    Velonutter wrote:
    I had her permission to write the above :mrgreen:
    I remember a great quote from Dennis Thatcher when asked who wore the trousers in their house.
    "I do, but only when she lets me."
    I think this is probably true of many marriages.
    On things that are related to my health I listen to my wife as I have put her through a huge amount of stress and worry over the years with my health. Shame I'm going to miss it, I was looking forward to it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Only 6 days to the BR Spring Fling 2014... time to start obsessing about the weather... :D
  • drlodge
    Only 6 days to the BR Spring Fling 2014... time to start obsessing about the weather... :D

Thundery showers with lightening :?
    Find me on Strava
  • Velonutter
    I don't do rain, so if it does then will be a no go!

I think there could be as many as 10 of us coming down, it will be a refreshing change from some of our roads.
  • drlodge
    If its wet and I do decide to go, I'll be bringing my SKS mudguard clad winter bike for sure.
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    I thought you Brits were tough... on paper you're always going on about riding in the wet... prove it... :mrgreen:
    I'm the Italian one who should only ride if the sun is shining... the ride is on unless there is a Metoffice warning for very heavy rain or stormy wind... or unless you lot all wimp out... :wink:
  • Velonutter
    Nope, broke too many bones racing motorbikes and nearly lost my hand, so if it is raining then count me out as I get no enjoyment of getting soaked. I ride for fun not because I have to.
  • drlodge
    I'm on unless the weather is dire. I cycled up the Cat n Fiddle and Fleet Moss recently in the wind and rain, so a little moisture doesn't put me off.
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    The way it normally works is that the Metoffice 5-6 days forecast turns out to be the exact opposite on the day, so I am optimistic. I think we all agree a couple of showers are a non issue, but an all day downpour is best avoided
  • ugo.santalucia
    Any news from those who signed up for this?

4)W12lad
    6)paul2718
    7) bobbinogs
    8 )Ju5t1n
    9)Skyblueamateur
    10)Savagestorm
    11) Charlie Potatoes
    12) Sloppy Schlekonds?
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921

4)W12lad
    6)paul2718
    7) bobbinogs
    8 )Ju5t1n
    9)Skyblueamateur
    10)Savagestorm
    11) Charlie Potatoes
    12) Sloppy Schlekonds?

I'm still up for it. Will be bringing a mate if that is okay. Going to car share so won't be taking extra parking space.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ugo.santalucia
    Excellent
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471

4)W12lad
    6)paul2718
    7) bobbinogs
    8 )Ju5t1n
    9)Skyblueamateur
    10)Savagestorm
    11) Charlie Potatoes
    12) Sloppy Schlekonds?
    I intend to ride out to Lower Heyford from Brackley in the morning. A tiny bit dependent on the weather....

Paul
  • ugo.santalucia
    Looks like sunshine and showers with a bit of breeze
  • Velonutter
    I know you said to expect the opposite but looking at the weather 18mph WSW winds rain and 14 degrees ain't looking the most promising! :shock:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Velonutter wrote:
    I know you said to expect the opposite but looking at the weather 18mph WSW winds rain and 14 degrees ain't looking the most promising! :shock:

You are what is technically referred to as a "downer"... :wink:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:

You are what is technically referred to as a "downer"... :wink:

I try my hardest :shock: :mrgreen:

So going by your theory, we are going to have WNW winds 36mph and it is going to be -14degrees :mrgreen: