Bike Radar Spring Fling 2014. May 11th

Comments

• paul2718 wrote:
    This is almost local, could ride to the start, which is always a plus. I'm in subject to the usual.

Paul

Excellent
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I am up for this. Will be travelling up from Chelters if anyone wants a lift enroute.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    There may well be 8-12 of us coming down for a bit of fun, I'll bring my walking shoes ;-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,263
    Walking shoes? We are going down Edge hill, not up... unless people prefer to go up... :wink:
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    This goes past my front door. I'm in
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    This is fairly local to Coventry so I'm in too. Look forward to it.
  • I'm in assuming I can make it from either Bicester rail station, or get a lift from someone in the Coventry/Warwick/Leamington Spa area....
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Work and wife permitting, I'm in!
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    No idea who anyone is but a random cycle sounds good to me, Pencil me unless Liverpool are likely to win the league that day, in which case I'll be at the game waiting for my heart to be shattered
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • ugo.santalucia
    At the moment we've got

1) myself
    2) Velonutter
    3) Nocheckmate
    4)W12lad
    5)Btiratsoo
    6)paul2718
    7) bobbinogs
    8 )Ju5t1n
    9)Skyblueamateur
    10)Savagestorm
    11) Johnny-Trousers

Please add or delete as appropriate. I need to know the numbers to sort out the logistics... the car Park at Lower Heyford station is small... if any local knows a better car park, just chip in
  • Velonutter
    At the moment we've got

1) myself
    2) Velonutter
    3) Nocheckmate
    4)W12lad
    5)Btiratsoo
    6)paul2718
    7) bobbinogs
    8 )Ju5t1n
    9)Skyblueamateur
    10)Savagestorm
    11) Johnny-Trousers

Please add or delete as appropriate. I need to know the numbers to sort out the logistics... the car Park at Lower Heyford station is small... if any local knows a better car park, just chip in

I will be coming down with about 6 of my mates in 2-3 cars.
  • ugo.santalucia
    A gang?
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I am up for this. Will be travelling up from Chelters if anyone wants a lift enroute.

I may be interested as I live in Cheltenham, will have to wait till I can okay it with the wife a bit closer to the day though.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    I might be up for this. What time are you heading up Paolo? If I can steal the car I could give you a lift.
  • Velonutter
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I might be up for this. What time are you heading up Paolo? If I can steal the car I could give you a lift.

Here hang on a tick, if all you pro's come then how the hell am I going to keep up :shock: :mrgreen:

I'm bringing my gang with me to offer support and so that I can draught them at 10mph, 5mph up the hills and 50mph down them, I have a little advantage over you pros...something called gravity :mrgreen:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    Who are you calling a pro? I've been for a ride with Paolo, nearly coughed up a lung as I turned inside out trying to keep up. I'll be with you lot.
    I don't normally ride in groups so I will be the one trying to keep out of everybodys way.
  • Velonutter
    Great More people to draught! :-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    We'll probably have to live the Big Smoke pretty early... 7 or so to be there for a nice early start.
    My cracked fork gave me a chance to jump back on the 1980 horse today... all seems good predictably... :mrgreen:
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Still not sure about my rotation for work. Don't count me in just yet as I don't want you to go to the bother of organising anything then for me not to be able to join. I'll let you guys know closer to the time if I can make it if that is ok. Sorry to be a pain but it is the nature of my work.

Ben
  • Anyone travelling up from Somerset/ Bath?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Andy_S_T wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

I may be interested as I live in Cheltenham, will have to wait till I can okay it with the wife a bit closer to the day though.

Heh heh. Early season riding is going well so I will be riding over and back. Should only be about a 125 miler in total but the route over is a tough start. Send a PM if you fancy it, shouldn't be a too early start if anyone else from Chelters is also up for it, maybe 08:00 to get there for 10:00.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Now out unfortunately due to a work commitment that weekend.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Whilst I'm glad someone is taking the mantle this year and organising the ride (and in a different part of the country), I can't make it due to racing a World Cup in Italy that weekend. Road race on the Sunday in fact!

But best wishes to all the go - it's a great day out and a good way to meet fellow forumites.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2014
    I'm out too, I'm afraid. My wife's got to work and so I'm looking after the little man. Shame, as it would have been nice to meet some of you. Have fun and may the rain stay away.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Right, an update.
    The plan is to meet at the Lower Heyford station car park at 9:00 for a 9:30 start at the latest. The car park is small, so make sure you arrive at 9:00 to secure a spot or to find another spot in the village.
    The ride will start at 9:30 sharp. If you are going to be late, I suggest you meet us en-route in Barford St Michael or in Bloxham. The same applies if you think 100Km is too much for you. We will pass through Bloxham even on the way back, so it's a good way to cut the ride shorter (65 Km = 40 miles).
    The ride is mapped here

http://www.strava.com/routes/181889

Don't be fooled, it's a pretty rolling day out on the bike... the very nature of the Cotswolds is undulated.

We should be in Barford around 10:00 and in Bloxham around 10:15.
    The ride is mostly rural, so you've got to take enough water with you. We will stop briefly in Shipston on Stour. There is a bakery which does coffee and cakes, but they've got no tables to sit. More refreshments are available at the end of the ride, where there is a cafe' by the canal for those who want to have a post-ride lunch.

There is no Strava segments chasing and I will only wait for those left behind, not for those who break away and get lost in Warwickshire. If you want to break away, make sure you know the route.
    Estimated finish time 1:30- 2:00 PM.
    Please make sure your bike is in good order. Don't do last minute untested fettling and make sure your tyres are in decent conditions. Choose reliable over fast if you have the option.
  • Can I stick my name down for this please?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ugo.santalucia
    1) myself
    2) Velonutter (+ water carriers) :mrgreen:
    3) Veronese 68
    4)W12lad

6)paul2718
    7) bobbinogs
    8 )Ju5t1n
    9)Skyblueamateur
    10)Savagestorm
    11) Charlie Potatoes
    12) Sloppy Schlekonds?

Accurate?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    What sort of speed you guys going off at ?
    Ive not cycled on the road for ages so even as an unfit guy I'm even more road-unfit.
    I would definitely be up for it if I were not to hold the group up but can see there are some serious riders on the list.
    Living MY dream.
  • ugo.santalucia
    VTech wrote:
    Ive not cycled on the road for ages so even as an unfit guy I'm even more road-unfit.
    I would definitely be up for it if I were not to hold the group up but can see there are some serious riders on the list.
    15-16 mph average on a hilly course (you probably know the course, as it's your area)
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    VTech wrote:
    15-16 mph average on a hilly course (you probably know the course, as it's your area)

At 15-16 ill probably need a car !
    I would definitely love to attend but seriously doubt I would have even a hope of keeping up for more than a few miles.
    Living MY dream.