power at low or high speed

2»

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Ai_1 wrote:
    This is purely psychological although psychological is real too. The speed of the bike itself doesn't change what your legs are doing. You probably feel better when you're going faster but the only things that could conceivably make a difference depending specifically on speed are:
    1. Psychological effects
    2. Maybe slightly different breathing with more headwind (airspeed not groundspeed so only likely to vary a lot on gradients)
    3. Cooling (airspeed dependent as per 2 above)
    4. Vibration
    Read the CyclingTips link on the previous page, speed of the bike does make a difference due to the different amount of kinetic energy / inertia compared to resistance.

Same reason why riding a turbo with no flywheel is physiologically different to riding a turbo with a 5kg flywheel
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    Imposter wrote:
    I wonder if you are over-thinking this. What you are training is the effort level in a given position. Within certain parameters, your actual speed probably doesn't matter.

Obviously if you are training for crits/circuits, then riding at certain power levels on the flat makes the most sense. Training by holding the same power level up a 10% incline might not be the best idea...

good discussion going on thanks all.
    Overthinking- I never continue with the same sessions once I feel nothing more is being gained from them, it will only produce the same results, so to progress I might adjust a session or create a new one entirely, in this case just looking at adding something in within a typical one hour session to see what occurs. TT Specific this.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    jibberjim wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    I wonder if you are over-thinking this. What you are training is the effort level in a given position. Within certain parameters, your actual speed probably doesn't matter.

But it does, people do experience very different abilities to put out power in different inertial situations (ie speed), the magnitude differs a lot between individuals. I have a good ability to put out power at high inertia and poor at low, I ride with people who are the opposite. They can drop me up comfortably up 15% hills, I can drop them comfortably up 4% hills (on the flat the draft benefit is big enough that they don't get dropped but disproportionately struggle). We weigh the same, so it's not simply w/kg.

bob on.
  • jibberjim wrote:
    But it does, people do experience very different abilities to put out power in different inertial situations (ie speed), the magnitude differs a lot between individuals.

If I'm going fast does that mean that I have a 'good inertial situation'?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Buckles wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    This is purely psychological although psychological is real too. The speed of the bike itself doesn't change what your legs are doing. You probably feel better when you're going faster but the only things that could conceivably make a difference depending specifically on speed are:
    1. Psychological effects
    2. Maybe slightly different breathing with more headwind (airspeed not groundspeed so only likely to vary a lot on gradients)
    3. Cooling (airspeed dependent as per 2 above)
    4. Vibration
    Read the CyclingTips link on the previous page, speed of the bike does make a difference due to the different amount of kinetic energy / inertia compared to resistance.

Same reason why riding a turbo with no flywheel is physiologically different to riding a turbo with a 5kg flywheel
    Good point. I stand corrected. :oops:
  • jibberjim wrote:
    But it does, people do experience very different abilities to put out power in different inertial situations (ie speed), the magnitude differs a lot between individuals.

If I'm going fast does that mean that I have a 'good inertial situation'?

not if you are going fast but if you are good at going fast