Condor Acciaio or Super Acciaio?

13»

Comments

• rfreese888
    rfreese888 Posts: 39
    I haven't read the Cyclist article yet so can't make any specific replies. I rode the SA on a 160 km long 2,200 m of climbing event last Sunday. That's the longest I have ridden any bike (8 hours in the saddle) as I am only really just getting into cycling.

I have custom wheels - Campy Record hubs on Mavic Open Pro rims with 32 Sapim Racing spokes on each wheel. Conti GP 4 Season tyres at around 105 psi.

The bike handles like a dream and loves to go fast. You can push the pace and rely on efficient transfer of power. It does well over rough stuff as well. Some of the roads I was on had very rough surfaces and I was able to cruise over them without feeling my bones rattle. I kept my cadence even and held the line without much effort. My confidence on the descent is increasing as well. The SA is very sure footed.

It is an able climber and can grab distance on climbs without major effort. It is not super light though so you do have to get out of the saddle on steeper stuff. That could be different with carbon wheels and everything else I guess.

I found my neck was pretty sore after 100 km. I have been professionally fitted on the bike so can't say anything was wrong with the set up. I think this will get better as I get used to the proper road bike - and keep doing my yoga! I suspect though there are some limits that my 41 year old body will have to accept.

I would say for me it is the perfect bike for club rides around 100k and super charged commuting / evening spins in nice weather, or anytime you just want to put the hammer down and go really fast. I am thinking about getting a Baracchi or Cervelo R3 for the day long endurance rides and major climbing.

Hope this helps.

PS - I get loads of compliments on the SA, especially the Celeste paint job!
  • rfreese888
    UPDATE

Rode the SA in the Wicklow 200 over the weekend. It rode like a dream. 234 km (including commute to and from start/finish) in mixed weather, with wind and about 3 km of climbing.

I felt right at home in the peleton, climbing and descending and out on the flats. Neck and shoulders were fine - not as sore at the end as the last event.

More and more happy with this bike.

Still considering a lighter, carbon endurance frame as my next addition to the stable. Condor Baracchi or now Canyon have the new Endurance CF which looks very tempting esp given the price.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    My mate has the Baracchi (moved to it when his Cervelo got nicked and was rec a more upright bike for back problems). Loves it. Looks really nice too.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    This thread makes me want to buy a Condor.
  • mambo1
    mambo1 Posts: 13
    The Condor carbon frames are manufactured by Sarto. You can't go wrong with frames made by that manufacturer.
    Owner Cicli Schiavona - Custom hand-made Italian frames at prices you won't believe!

http://www.ciclischiavona.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716
  • Late to this, but for what it's worth re: the original question...

I have an ordinary Acciaio. As an all-round road bike I think it's excellent. You can dress it with lightweight parts, a standard chainset and the stem set low, and it feels relatively aggressive; a higher-set stem and a triple, plus some heavier-duty wheels, and it's been a very comfortable cobble basher.

It's not as light as the latest carbon frames, by about 1 kg, but for most of us I'm not sure how important that is? Light wheels and good tyres always seem to make a bigger difference to me than a light frame. Mine weighs between 8.5 and 9 kg fully built, depending on what it's built with.

The Super Acciaio is a prestigious and unusual frame, and it would be a lovely thing to own. For me, the extra cost is perhaps a bit high - but if you have deeper pockets (or are less mean!), I'm sure it would be a thing of delight. Maybe a bit less adaptable? That said, I haven't owned one of those, so am really blowing smoke...
  • rfreese888
    One Year On

Have been riding my Super Acciaio for a little over a year now. It has been on weekly club rides as well as a number of 160K and 200K events last season and this one. I have had the stem lowered a couple of centimeters since I first had it built as I am getting more fit and used to hours in the saddle.

This year I also upgraded to Chorus gruppo and Ritchey WCS Carbon stem and bars, and Condor Supremacy carbon post. The Super Acciaio really came to life with the carbon finery! It is noticeably lighter and more comfortable in terms of vibration dampening. It also feels faster and definitely looks more 'pro'. It has been more than able in the events I have ridden in and other than my nether regions getting numb on the end of 200K rides (I reckon the Fizik Arione is the issue there) it has been quite comfortable. The more I ride it the more I love it. It's fast, it handles really well, it descends like a demon and I can climb anything thrown at me. Mind you I only weigh 59 KG so I should be a happy bunny on climbs.

My original plan was to buy a Condor Baracchi frame next year and transfer the Chorus and Ritchey WCS carbon stuff over, add a new Shamal Mille wheelset, a Ritchey WCS Vector Evo Streem saddle, and a Ritchey WCS Carbon Link seatpost. The Super Acciaio would then be reverted to classic status with Athena Alloy gruppo, Ritchey Classic kit (both currently in a box in my shed) and keep its silver Campy Record Hub / Open Pro wheels.

At this stage however I feel like the Super Acciao is reaching its full potential and it would be a shame to 'demote' it. I am now thinking instead of a Baracchi I could finish the upgrade on the Super Acciaio and also buy a standard Acciaio frame and put all of the Athena / Classic / Open Pro kit on it. Then I would have a more relaxed geometry frame with a classic look and keep my A bike at its full potential.

Decisions Decisions
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Don't get the Vector link stuff. It's not worth it IMO
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rfreese888
    Don't get the Vector link stuff. It's not worth it IMO

Thanks for the feedback. Any other suggestions for a skinny ass that would be more comfortable than my current setup with Condor Supremacy post and Fizik Arione saddle e.g. is the Fizik Kurve Snake that much more comfortable than its cousin?