Condor Acciaio or Super Acciaio?

Comments

• rfreese888 wrote:
    The deal is done - Super Acciaio ordered from Condor.

I had a bike fitting last Saturday from a very good pro here in Ireland http://www.bikefittingireland.com/ who advised me on frame size, stem, handlebar width etc. and also fit me on my existing hybrid. He will get me sorted on the Condor when it arrives. It will be a couple of cm drop between saddle to stem on the SA which will take some adjustment. Time to get out the yoga mat!

Have gone for 52 cm frame with full custom color. Will get the design mock up in 2 days. Condor service brilliant as always.

Can't wait!!
    Was yours the celeste blue version with white panels that the Condor guys were telling me about yesterday when i picked mine up .
  • rfreese888 wrote:
    The deal is done - Super Acciaio ordered from Condor.

I had a bike fitting last Saturday from a very good pro here in Ireland http://www.bikefittingireland.com/ who advised me on frame size, stem, handlebar width etc. and also fit me on my existing hybrid. He will get me sorted on the Condor when it arrives. It will be a couple of cm drop between saddle to stem on the SA which will take some adjustment. Time to get out the yoga mat!

Have gone for 52 cm frame with full custom color. Will get the design mock up in 2 days. Condor service brilliant as always.

Can't wait!!
    Was yours the celeste blue version with white panels that the Condor guys were telling me about yesterday when i picked mine up .

Sound like it! How is the one you picked up? Delighted?
  • Very very pleased ....[img005_zpscb8ee25c.jpg][/img]
  • Swoon
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I have a super acciaio and it's a fantastic bike. I didn't need the custom geometry but I had custom paint.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Very very pleased ....[img005_zpscb8ee25c.jpg][/img]

Hnng. Lovely.

I love my Italia, a cracking bike. I think when I hit 40 I will splurge on something carbon from them. Great peeps and beautiful bikes!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Carbon!!!! Just get the stainless acciaio :D
  • menthel
    Carbon!!!! Just get the stainless acciaio :D

Nah, I figure if it is my 40th present, it may as well be a full carbon bling mid life crisis bike. Then again I still have a couple of years to change my mind!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • I have a super acciaio and it's a fantastic bike. I didn't need the custom geometry but I had custom paint.

What colour did you go for Gary ?

Yet to finish my build how is the ride any other tips or comments
  • Very very pleased ....[img005_zpscb8ee25c.jpg][/img]

Well done Matty! it looks the business - you must be over the moon :D

I just got the mock up drawing for mine and I am delighted. Will try to show it to you with this link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3mBhQpWVWVbbHRkb1ZSUmZVUjA/edit?usp=sharing

Can't wait!
  • Mine is ral 7025, with super record, fizik carbon post and 3t bars and stem just got a pair of enve 45s for it but yet to put them on. Mine is a 2013 model so yours is lighter. My other bikes have gathered a lot of dust since it turned up, it's really comfortable for 100 milers and is more than happy descending at over 50 mph. As much as I like carbon bikes I could happily ride one of these all the time.
  • rfreese888 wrote:
    Very very pleased ....[img005_zpscb8ee25c.jpg][/img]

Well done Matty! it looks the business - you must be over the moon :D

I just got the mock up drawing for mine and I am delighted. Will try to show it to you with this link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3mBhQpWVWVbbHRkb1ZSUmZVUjA/edit?usp=sharing

Can't wait!
    That looks super nice , gotta say Ben there designer does a great job ....
  • Focus-rider
    Focus-rider Posts: 126
    Wow very nice indeed. Cracking paint scheme and a nice touch with the head badge. I'm assuming your impressed with it and bet your shocked by how light it is? I don't think I would change my Rapha super acciaio for any other bike now, it's as close to perfect as I can imagine a bike to be. When are you building it up and what are you putting on it? Feel free to view mine on the general board, it's under the topic of solo ride from the weekend
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    Wow. Stunning bikes.

Condor are unsurpassed in my view.....
  • Wow very nice indeed. Cracking paint scheme and a nice touch with the head badge. I'm assuming your impressed with it and bet your shocked by how light it is? I don't think I would change my Rapha super acciaio for any other bike now, it's as close to perfect as I can imagine a bike to be. When are you building it up and what are you putting on it? Feel free to view mine on the general board, it's under the topic of solo ride from the weekend

Hi F.R. - thanks for your interest! This frame has been a long time coming and so far I am delighted, very light and strong and beautiful.

My LBS is building it tomorrow morning. The mechanic is coming in early to do the job b/c he is as smitten by the bike as I am! My design is a classic look and feel:

- campag athena silver alloy gruppo (compact gearing) with white hoods and cables
    - hand built wheels with campag record hubs, mavic open pro rims, sapim racing spokes (all in silver)
    - ritchey classic handlebars, stem and seatpost (all silver)
    - fizik arione saddle in white
    - fizik microtex tape in white
    - conti gp 4 season tires
    - speedplay stainless steel pedals (white)

will take it down to a guy named Aidan Hammond in Wicklow who does bike fitting to get it set up just right before chopping the steerer down to correct size.

Very excited - this is my first real proper road bike. last weekend I rode a 120k sportive on my fuji hybrid. the SA will feel like heaven - and I get a bank holiday weekend to take it out on the maiden voyage!!
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Very nice, hope you are happy with it!
  • menthel
    edited April 2014
    That is substantially prettier as a build than I expected when you described the parts. Looks lovely! I am trying to decide between a baracchi and a super acciaio too. But don't tell the wife...
    RIP commute...
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Very nice, makes a change from all the grey ones I ride with. Prefer the Trek behind though. Oh, and the valves are too long.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • menthel wrote:
    That is substantially prettier as a build than I expected when you described the parts. Looks lovely! I am trying to decide between a baracchi and a super acciaio too. But don't tell the wife...

I hear you - Baracchi is next on the list! Have to be 2015 though.
  • Very nice, makes a change from all the grey ones I ride with. Prefer the Trek behind though. Oh, and the valves are too long.

yeah the valves were a mis-order. probably won't get a flat for 2 years now though!

you can have the trek :)
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Very pretty! I've only just read this thread all the way through and when I saw how you were planning to spec it I was thinking Acciaio for the classic look, but I see the 2014 SA doesn't look as aggressive as the previous versions so it works nicely. Congrats!
  • teddyuk
    teddyuk Posts: 39
    edited May 2014
    edit
  • mattythemod
    mattythemod Posts: 289
    @ Teddyuk Stunning mate you must be very pleased !
  • jamie4759
    jamie4759 Posts: 117
    Hi all, I really like the SA but the recent review in the Cyclist magazine wasn't too complimentary about the ride. How do you guys find the ride? Is it harsh? I have the Leggero but for the money I could have got the SA with some real exotic bling groupset. Would the SA be a good investment for club rides and centuries or is it an out and out crit race machine? How is the quality of the Condor welds and paint job? They all look sublime in the photos.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Harsh? Not really no. At least not with the right tyres and bar tape. It's excellent over poor surfaces and, of course, sublime over good ones.

My view is that it's a race machine that does club rides well. It's always comfy but really goes with you if you push on. I pursued a bloke on a TT bike yesterday and it absolutely flew.
  • mattythemod
    mattythemod Posts: 289
    JAMIE4759 wrote:
    Hi all, I really like the SA but the recent review in the Cyclist magazine wasn't too complimentary about the ride. How do you guys find the ride? Is it harsh? I have the Leggero but for the money I could have got the SA with some real exotic bling groupset. Would the SA be a good investment for club rides and centuries or is it an out and out crit race machine? How is the quality of the Condor welds and paint job? They all look sublime in the photos.

I too read the same review and wondered if they were riding the same bike ...i suspect wheel comfort plays a large part..i run mine on Pacenti sl23 rims and 25 mm GP4000 Tires i also have the the Deda 35 stem Bar set up with thick Lizzard Skins tape and find the ride very very plush ..i had a custom paint design and finish and am very happy with the finished result .
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Well done guys. Beautiful bikes.
  • Just read the posts regarding cyclist magazines review mentioning the SA being harsh. I have the older 2012 SA frameset and have a deda zero 1 stem ( cheap £15 ) with easton bar ( £25 ) and Cinelli gel bar tape. So nothing earth shatteringly high tech or expensive and I can honestly say its buzz free and super comfortable. My wheels are campag zonda and tyres gp4000s 23mm. Now cycling plus reviewed the zondas recently and gave them high praise but said they were firm if i recollect right. Yet its all comfortable on the hands. The rear is the same tyres,wheels obviously but with deda seatpost and charge spoon saddle. I've only ridden about 60mls on any trip but haven't returned beaten up. Also there are sections of road that even my fully sprung car transmits vibration through to me so the SA won't shine on those. Most frost spalled chip seal is fine and small potholes have a muted bump as you hit them. I've "sadly" set my tyre pressures using the 15% drop idea see article here http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf , this has been good as I'd always put in about 115-120psi and it wasn't necessary for my lightweight. I think it also reduces any "harshness" perceived. The SA has a lovely feel handling wise, not nervy in the 55cm size so the angles must be just right, it simply flows through direction changes. I'm no racer but it feels like its on rails and you're at one with it. Anyway enough of the Cycling Plus hyperbole, I must have read too many reviews ( but I didn't use the word cockpit AARRRGGHH! ) :D