Deep alloy clincher rims

13»

Comments

• Maybe my perception was a little swayed...they ( cars....didn't mention cabbies ) did hold back though.

I don't normally have issues with London cabbies either, I can do 25mph+ on the larger roads like Euston Road which normally has a tail wind. I even had one cabbie say he wished all cyclist could go that fast - I suspect 8mph Boris bikers can take it's tole if you are driving all day. Not saying I am Chris Froome, I like to ride the big gears and given the space with green lights I will go for it.

I am also courteous, if I see a driver holding back I will acknowledge this with a friendly thank you gesture. This actually works. There are nutters out there, but, mutual respect goes a long way on the road.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    damocles10 wrote:
    I am also courteous, if I see a driver holding back I will acknowledge this with a friendly thank you gesture. This actually works. There are nutters out there, but, mutual respect goes a long way on the road.
    Yep. I always wave a thank you to courteous and/or safe drivers when I'm riding. If they wait to pass so they can give you lots of space they deserve a thank you plus they're less likely to resent any delay and more likely to do it again next time. Mutual respect and courtesy makes a lot more difference than giving any inconsiderate/dangerous drivers the finger.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Paul1000 wrote:
    For that price have a look a American Classic ac420, I'm your weight and run a set for a couple of summers now with no issues, look great too, not in white though.

Although these are actually 34mm deep rims so not totally to the OP's spec.

Good wheels though - if you can put up with the slightly harsh ride.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    damocles10 wrote:
    Yep. I always wave a thank you to courteous and/or safe drivers when I'm riding. If they wait to pass so they can give you lots of space they deserve a thank you plus they're less likely to resent any delay and more likely to do it again next time. Mutual respect and courtesy makes a lot more difference than giving any inconsiderate/dangerous drivers the finger.

The thumb is greater than the finger! :)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    smidsy wrote:
    Paul1000 wrote:
    For that price have a look a American Classic ac420, I'm your weight and run a set for a couple of summers now with no issues, look great too, not in white though.

And the poor quality bearings.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    Paul1000 wrote:

And the poor quality bearings.

And the 'shouty' graphics.

And the very narrow brake track.

But apart from that....
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dubbs2009
    dubbs2009 Posts: 310
    These look nice > viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12956371&p=18711753#p18711753 but as per other comments - surely the black brake track comes off after you ride a few miles...

Campag Bullets sound like the best of all situations here I think...
  • ada1688
    ada1688 Posts: 1
    You can check out Yishun bike. They are in your budget. :mrgreen:
  • dubbs2009
    Campag Bullets sound like the best choice out there - but wondered what peeps thought of the FFWD F6R Alloy/Carbon clinchers > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fast-forward-f6 ... -wheelset/

Fast-Forward-F6R-Alloy-Carbon-Clincher-Wheelset.jpg?w=1400&h=1400&a=7

Any thoughts?
  • dubbs2009
    P.S. Also, anyone any thoughts on spending near £1K on carbon/alloy clinchers vs going to full carbon clinchers?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If you're spending around £1k for carbon clinchers, look at the Reynolds Assault SLGs. PBK were doing a deal on them.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dubbs2009
    drlodge wrote:
    If you're spending around £1k for carbon clinchers, look at the Reynolds Assault SLGs. PBK were doing a deal on them.

Thanks - will take a look - not sure whether to go full carbon, or carbon/alloy at the moment...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    P.S. Also, anyone any thoughts on spending near £1K on carbon/alloy clinchers vs going to full carbon clinchers?

Depends what you are looking for.
    A high end carbon + alloy could be HED Jet plus.
    PROs:
    -Wide 25 mm rim, which is virtually the same as the HED Ardennes, possibly the best alloy rim around, tubeless ready
    -Standard wheel construction with no proprietary materials
    -carbon fairing is aerodynamically one of the best around and you don't have to worry about it as it's not structural
    - they can be had as a "stallion" build with a 28 holes rear for extra durability

CONs
    - heavier than full carbon rims
    - the fairing is a floppy structure that might not be peer-approved at the cafe'

The Reynolds have excellent hubs (DT Swiss 240), very good rims, but they are full carbon and although they have improved the resin and blah blah blah you will never feel good about hammering down a steep descent. The internal nipples are a nuisance if you have to service the wheels or replace a spoke and the nipples DO get seized on the threads. In this set pretty much every single one of them was seized... the bill comes at ca. 150 pounds, more if you go via the Service Centre route

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... bites-dust
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    That HED Jet plus is an interesting wheel. The one thing I have learnt about Carbon Clicchers is that they're all a compromise.

Light, fast, stiff, cheap, durable...you can't have it all.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dubbs2009
    Thanks chaps. So the strongest alloy/carbon clinchers are those with carbon fairing stuck on an alloy wheel then yeh? e.g. there is no bound between the alloy braking bit and the carbon wheel bit?
  • dubbs2009
    Ugo - have you any opinions on the FFWD F6R Alloy/Carbon clinchers ?
  • drlodge
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Thanks chaps. So the strongest alloy/carbon clinchers are those with carbon fairing stuck on an alloy wheel then yeh? e.g. there is no bound between the alloy braking bit and the carbon wheel bit?

Pretty much...there is a bond but its not structural. The HED Jet Plus looks to use the same rim as the Ardennes Plus SL wheel ("C2+ Technology") with a carbon fairing added. You get strength and aero but compromise weight.
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Ugo - have you any opinions on the FFWD F6R Alloy/Carbon clinchers ?

No idea... they belong to a third species which is one with alloy + carbon bonded together in a structural rim. They are typically pretty heavy, as the carbon layer has to be thicker than a fairing, so 600 grams or more for a standard 20 mm wide one. I would think most of them are rebadged from the Gigantex range, which you can see on their website or sold as Planet X
  • dubbs2009
    Thanks chaps - there sure is a lot of science behind the glossy decals eh!
  • ugo.santalucia
    What filters through the bicycle market was science 40 years ago and engineering 20 years ago. They like to portray it as high tec stuff, but really it is not.

Just think of the electric groupsets... Mavic did one over 20 years ago... it was problematic at best, but it was in essence the same thing as Di" and EPS
    Radio controlled model cars and planes have been around for decades and they have for sure a superior technology than any of the above
  • drlodge
    You forgot to mention r/c helicopters...flybars are a thing of the past, they all have multiple gyros in them now and will practically fly themselves!
    Find me on Strava