Deep alloy clincher rims

dubbs2009
dubbs2009 Posts: 310
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Thinking of a new set of deep alloy wheels. Probs clincher and 40-50mm deep. Anyone have any insight on a decent set ? Budget is < £600.

Comments

• Do they even exist?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • They do exist and they are quite heavy, typically 600-700 grams per rim. If you want them for the look, fine, but don't spend 600 pounds.
    H plus Son SL 42 are nice rims, but shallower rims are better in all possible ways
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    600 for 42mm deep alloy wheels man that is very expensive. Seriously not worth it. for rims that deep think carbon. The deepest rim I am willing to use is the Kinlin XR-380 565g and 38mm deep. While the H plus son SL42 I am sure is nice rim I struggle to see the point. But then again I do not own a trendy fixie and I am not likely too either living where I do and not being trendy either.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dubbs2009
    Thanks for your thoughts guys - My worry about carbon is rider weight - 85kgs, so not sure a set of carbon clinchers would be a good idea? also would need new brake blocks etc... Thoughts?
  • dubbs2009 wrote:
    Thanks for your thoughts guys - My worry about carbon is rider weight - 85kgs, so not sure a set of carbon clinchers would be a good idea? also would need new brake blocks etc... Thoughts?

Don't be silly, it's a tough material, it's not pressed paper. If anything, it's tougher than alloy. The only drawback of carbon is that it is more fragile upon impact, which has nothing to do with your weight.

Then we can argue of all the drawbacks of carbon clinchers, but rider's weight isn't one
  • dubbs2009
    OK thanks Ugo. Fair point :)

What are your thoughts on the drawbacks of Carbon Clinchers then?
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    For that price have a look a American Classic ac420, I'm your weight and run a set for a couple of summers now with no issues, look great too, not in white though.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Why do you think carbon isn't a good idea due to your weight?
    If you're worried about rim strength - that's not down to the material, it's about how much of it is used, where and how. A really lightweight wheel might be a bad idea for a heavier rider regardless of the material. Besides you may be heavier than most serious cyclists but you're not unusually heavy (lighter than me!)
    What may be worth worrying about is braking performance if the brake track is carbon. I haven't used them but I believe carbon brake tracks are much poorer than aluminium. This will be a bigger problem for heavier riders who need more power from their brakes.
    However, many deep rim wheels use alloy outer rims and brake tracks with carbon fairings which shouldn't cause you any problems.
  • dubbs2009 wrote:

Smooth
  • dubbs2009 wrote:

When I say "we can argue" I didn't mean I want to argue... I suggest you use the search function, you should be able to find plenty of threads where the drawbacks of carbon clinchers are outlined.
    It just is "one of those topics"... :wink:
  • dubbs2009
    dubbs2009 wrote:

When I say "we can argue" I didn't mean I want to argue... I suggest you use the search function, you should be able to find plenty of threads where the drawbacks of carbon clinchers are outlined.
    It just is "one of those topics"... :wink:

:) OK - will take a butchers'
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    If you want a deep alloy wheelset American Classic Aero 420's are what you need. I've got them and they are very good IMO. I got mine second hand but can be picked up for ~£500 new.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'm with the others. Deep and Alu will weigh a lot. A quick look at Brick Lane Bikes online shop and you'll find the H+Son EERO, Formation Face and SL42 (all 600g + per rim).

If you go down the carbon clincher route then the rim itself should be plenty strong enough but you'll want to run a fatter tyre to reduce your chance of a pinch flat as there is a chance of that damaging the brake track etc.
  • dubbs2009
    Thanks guys - keen on keeping to 23c - maybe carbon tubular is better option here? What would you say are the pros and cons of carbon clincher vs tubular for the enthusiast rider - not a racer, or pro by any stretch of the imagination!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    While the H plus son SL42 I am sure is nice rim I struggle to see the point.
    Well, let me tell you...
    But then again I do not own a trendy fixie and I am not likely too either living where I do and not being trendy either.
    Oh :oops:

I have a SL42 (Formation Face is the same with no brake surface) on the rear of my fixed. It's a solid rim for the money. Does a carbon alternative even exist? (that isn't from a dodgy eBay store?)
    I'm with the others. Deep and Alu will weigh a lot.

& what's the going weight of a 50mm carbon clincher? I can't see there being much difference, unless spending big bucks.

If I was the OP I'd get American Classic Aero 420s, providing the awful decals suit the bike of course.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I rather like the awful graphics :oops:
    994811_10152894905795532_463285252_n.jpg
  • dubbs2009
    Thanks guys - seems its either ProLite or the American Aero's then as an alloy clincher - I love the Campag Bora - but moving to tubular and full carbon seems too much...
  • dubbs2009
    I am thinking maybe some of these might be the ideal solution > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-bull ... -wheelset/ Alloy rims so no need to change blocks, clincher so keep tyres and tubes, carbon 50mm deep section - and all from the lovely people at Campag... Not quite a set of BORA ones' but the next step up from my Scirocco 35mms
  • dubbs2009 wrote:
    I am thinking maybe some of these might be the ideal solution > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-bull ... -wheelset/ Alloy rims so no need to change blocks, clincher so keep tyres and tubes, carbon 50mm deep section - and all from the lovely people at Campag... Not quite a set of BORA ones' but the next step up from my Scirocco 35mms

For some reason they have not been very popular. I can't recall seeing any around... They are an alternative to Mavic Cosmic Carbone, but people seem to prefer the latter.
    Realistically it's old technology and spending all that money for something that is nowhere near cutting edge has probably (rightly) put off many.
    Yes, they do tick all the boxes and they are dull as dusk... in the same boring league as the RS 80/81 50 mm
  • As for your previous question... there was a bit of a buzz when Tony Martin raced and won the Worlds a few years back on clinchers... everyone started speculating that the era of tubs was over, but there you go, Tony Martin's new bike and I do see tubs there

1389271057392-1ny9442rhy1wd-670-80.jpg
  • dubbs2009
    dubbs2009 wrote:

For some reason they have not been very popular. I can't recall seeing any around... They are an alternative to Mavic Cosmic Carbone, but people seem to prefer the latter.
    Realistically it's old technology and spending all that money for something that is nowhere near cutting edge has probably (rightly) put off many.
    Yes, they do tick all the boxes and they are dull as dusk... in the same boring league as the RS 80/81 50 mm

Interesting... I've not seen any about either... must be honest they are the worst looking wheels I have seen Campag make - but I do love the spoke configuration of campag deep wheels. I will take a look at the Mavic Cosmic range now. Cheers
  • dubbs2009 wrote:

Don't go much on the logo's.
  • What about IRD Cadence Aero alloy rims? A little shallower (38mm I think) but at 460 grms a rim they're light and not expensive. Supposed to be good quality too. You could get some good handbuilts made using them and some decent hubs for not a lot of money.
  • Kangarouge wrote:
    What about IRD Cadence Aero alloy rims? A little shallower (38mm I think) but at 460 grms a rim they're light and not expensive. Supposed to be good quality too. You could get some good handbuilts made using them and some decent hubs for not a lot of money.

Only 30 mm. They are Kinlin with a sticker and 20 pounds more expensive per rim... that said, the stickers are nice and maybe worth the 40 pounds extra?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well there are many companies who are convinced that a branded sticker is make the product worth more, not just IRD.
    Ambrosio Zenith hubs spring to mind but they are just rebagded Novatec's. So to really waste money on stickers get some IRD cadance rim on Ambrosio Zenith hubs. Or get the version without sticker and spend less.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Soul Wheels also do a 30mm alloy wheel which they claim has an aero profile and comes in at under 1600 grams and the s40 with 42mm alloy rims which have a claimed weight of 1700 for the pair http://2013.bikesoul.com/s4/

If you really want alloy then there seems to be quite a bit of support for the company in various internet forums so a quick search will get you some feedback. They say that the hubs and rims are their own designs so not Kinlin etc. I have not bought anything from them but I was looking very seriously at getting some S30 wheels a few years ago and found that the owner (Sean?) was extremely responsive and easy to correspond with.
  • dubbs2009
    Soul Wheels also do a 30mm alloy wheel which they claim has an aero profile and comes in at under 1600 grams and the s40 with 42mm alloy rims which have a claimed weight of 1700 for the pair http://2013.bikesoul.com/s4/

If you really want alloy then there seems to be quite a bit of support for the company in various internet forums so a quick search will get you some feedback. They say that the hubs and rims are their own designs so not Kinlin etc. I have not bought anything from them but I was looking very seriously at getting some S30 wheels a few years ago and found that the owner (Sean?) was extremely responsive and easy to correspond with.

Yeh - my mate rides with these - he has broken a few spokes on them though - he's 90-95kgs and a bit more of an agressive rider than me though. Nice looking wheels
  • dubbs2009
    Anyone any thoughts on these Planet X 52mm Carbon clinchers? http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPX52CCL/ ... r-wheelset

I am after a logo-less (they look horrid!) version of the Campag hub.... are the logos easily removed?