2014 Metric Century Challenge

Comments

• I am happy with keeping it as simple as possible.
    While I would like the half points for every 50 over 100, I understand why it is not done. Sometimes though it is not possible to just add on another 40. For example this year I did the Manx 100, 100 miles, 4600m mtb race which took me over 12 hours. The really fast guys at the front were over 10 hours so it is a very tough event, and I got 1 point for it, but that is just the way it is.

Thanks for doing this Durrin, although I do hope to get a couple more 100s done before the end of the year!
  • +1 for as simple as possible and again thanks to Durrin for this.

I do however like the idea of leaving the people who are out on the leader board as long as this doesn't cause extra hassle for Durrin.
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    I agree, people should be left on the leader board. Someone who completed the entire challenge doesn't deserve to be propping up the table when clearly there were people who came behind them.
  • I like the keep on board thing too ... And as said the rules work -- let the individual decide if the 100 km really is one ride as only "cheating" himself ... The half point thing would be sort of cool given the number of 150s I did this year -- but I *still* would be pipped by marcusjb!!!

But bottom line I like the simplicity of it being metrics as I get a real sense of satisfaction (and exhaustion!) when I make it those handful of times over that magic 200 km mark. Don't understand how you guys do it.

And Durrin didn't realise you were from the mid west! As an east coaster I find it a bit ... Er ... Foreign ... So wondered how someone who I assumed was European would think of it. (On lejog we did endless mind numbing miles through corn country, which were basically "flyover" counties -- and reminded me of bits of the mid west).
  • durrin
    durrin Posts: 123
    Leaving people on the list after dropping out: actually that would make it slightly easier!
    And Durrin didn't realise you were from the mid west! As an east coaster I find it a bit ... Er ... Foreign ... So wondered how someone who I assumed was European would think of it. (On lejog we did endless mind numbing miles through corn country, which were basically "flyover" counties -- and reminded me of bits of the mid west).
    Typical easterner! :lol:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    If this runs again for 2015 I'd be keen - there's no way I'll be troubling the top of the leaderboard but it would be good extra motivation to get to 3 figures more often :D
  • durrin
    2015 Challenge is here:

One request: please don't post until you are reasonably certain that you will do a January ride. :)
  • durrin
    I've now redone the October and November rankings to include everyone who signed up for the challenge. This means that the rankings are calculated not just by total, but first by number of months completed, then total. In practice this has no effect on those who don't drop out, only on the total rankings.

I will continue this practice next year.
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    Nice one! Thanks Durrin.
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    Thanks Durrin. 21st out of 45 feels much more respectable for me...

Although I've still to do this month's which looks like it will secure me (joint) lantern rouge - great incentive to get out.
  • I confess I had expected to abandon after July but this is a suprisingly motivational challenge. The upshot being a new PB for distance over the year and going into 2015 in good shape. Relatively benign weather has helped but it's given that extra spur to go for the 100 when I might otherwise have settled for 60km.

Thanks Durrin. And to everyone for making it a competition. In for 2015.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    expect to be in for 2015--but first have challenge of 500miles accumulated per month in 2014 to complete....80 miles still to do :o
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Managed to complete this today.

Arm wasn't broken after all (despite hospital showing me a X-ray of a break :?) just soft tissue damage which has kept me off the bike as I couldn't hold the bars / brake / shift gears. Abandoned an attempt last weekend after 30km as arm still too painful and to be honest didn't feel safe as I couldn't pull very hard on the levers to brake.

Anyway nearly mended now, although still a bit sore for the last 40 kms or so, but my general lack of fitness causing pain elsewhere took my mind off it :mrgreen:

Now ache all over but relieved to have completed.

Thanks for organising Durrin, will probably be in for 2015', as I've found this great motivation. Just need to make sure current aches and pains are nothing serious.
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    Well done Fat Cat - that's real commitment!
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • Indeed -- that's serious commitment. Glad to hear it wasn't a break.
  • MikeEye wrote:
    Well done Fat Cat - that's real commitment!

+1
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Thanks all, have to say, as someone who had only ridden less that 10 centuries at the beginning of the year, I've found this challenge really inspirational.
  • JamesB
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Thanks all, have to say, as someone who had only ridden less that 10 centuries at the beginning of the year, I've found this challenge really inspirational.

well done indeed for 2014---and the cycling world is now your oyster :D
  • Fell at the last fence due to injury and illness, oh well
  • durrin
    wiffachip: you've still got today and tomorrow!
  • durrin wrote:

Well today's a write off, one day left. Not looking likely, be back in 2015 hopefully
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    wiffachip wrote:
    durrin wrote:

Well today's a write off, one day left. Not looking likely, be back in 2015 hopefully

JFDI :lol:
  • genki wrote:
    wiffachip wrote:
    durrin wrote:

JFDI :lol:

Choice of gannin to pub and talk about pardew or gannin out on bike. Bike won, off for a pint now though
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    wiffachip wrote:

Choice of gannin to pub and talk about pardew or gannin out on bike. Bike won, off for a pint now though

Good effort :P , but who's Pardew and has he done the metric century challenge :?
  • That's why I love this challenge -- it is sub zero but wiffachip is out on bike to get the dec ride in during literally the last hours of the year. No prize or public recognition. Just pure personal achievement.
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    That's me completed today. :D

Was hoping for the lurgy to clear but went out anyway - one of my slowest but they all count.

Looks like I'm sharing the lantern rouge prize with wind700 :D:D which is exactly what I was aiming for. My mind boggles at some of the numbers generated by riders on here.

I was musing on the ride about the variety of rides that make up my 16 points. So I thought I'd do a summary.

15 rides, averaging 133km and ranging from 101km to 210km
    Metric Century rides making up 27% of my total mileage for the year.
    8 ridden at events
    5 solo ( including 1 after work finishing at 11pm)
    2 with a pal for part of it c.50km
    Earliest start 5.50am, latest start 5.10pm.
    Average average speed 25kmph, ranging from 21kmph to 32kmph
    Average height gain, 1,500m but ranging 500m to 2,500m

All in all, a great year of cycling for me and thanks again to Durrin for organising and giving us the incentive to get out there. Well done all participants! See you for the 2015 challenge.
  • durrin
    I liked htsw5s statistical summary, so...
    of my 95 points:
    50 were brevets/audax rides
    22 were loaded touring
    3 were triathlons
    the rest were various training rides or just wandering

speeds ranged from a low of around 14km/h to a high of 32km/h .

Qualifying rides made up about 57% of my total mileage for the year.
  • durrin
    As a number of us have mentioned, some impressive numbers. Runner2Cycling 1st by quite a ways, with only 1 ride of 2 or more points, rode more than one century every 3 days! Durrin and W12 lad had good numbers, but not nearly enough to actually compete for first place.
    Nobody dropped out Aug-Dec, a couple made it just under the wire, and congrats to you, well done!

See you next year.
    jan feb mar apr may jun jul aug sep oct nov dec total
      9  13  15  15   6  17  10  11   9  11  11   7  134 Runner2Cycling (1,=)
      5   6   7  13   9  16  20   8   4   2   3   2   95 durrin (2,=)
     11   8   7  11   7  12  11   2   7   5   6   7   94 W12 lad (3,=)
      5   3   7   5  14   7   6   8   6   8   3   1   73 JamesB (4,=)
      4   1   5   8   8   6  18   4   3   1   2   2   62 marcusjb (5,=)
      1   3   5   6   4   7   7   6  12   2   3   1   57 bikergirl17 (6,=)
      5   4   5   3   8   5   4   5   4   5   4   4   56 Charlie Potatoes (7,=)
      3   4   4   5   5   6   3   6   5   6   2   1   50 Fat Cat (8,=)
      2   3   5   4   5   4   4   6   6   3   4   3   49 ManxShred (9,=)
      2   3   5   3   4   4   3   8   6   2   4   2   46 Rolf F (10,=)
      4   2   6   4   8   5   5   1   5   3   1   2   46 genki (10,=)
      2   3   2   2   1   5   6   4   4   2   7   4   42 Omar Little (12,=)
      3   2   5   2   4   2   2   1   4   2   4   4   35 diplodicus (13,+1)
      2   2   3   4   4   4   3   2   3   2   3   2   34 Wallace and Gromit (14,-1)
      1   1   2   2   4   3   3   5   6   2   2   1   32 tedmaul (15,-1)
      1   2   4   3   7   3   1   1   2   2   2   2   30 stanthomas (16,=)
      1   1   1   2   4   2   5   3   2   1   1   1   24 wiffachip (17,=)
      1   1   1   1   1   2   3   4   3   2   1   1   21 DaveP1 (18,=)
      1   2   1   1   1   1   1   1   3   2   3   1   18 MikeEye (19,=)
      1   1   1   1   2   2   2   2   1   2   1   1   17 leedsmjh (20,=)
      1   1   2   1   1   1   2   1   2   1   2   1   16 htsw5 (21,=)
      1   1   2   2   1   1   1   1   3   1   1   1   16 wind700 (21,=)
      2   1   2   3   3   6   7                       24 Welsh_Rider (23,=)
      1   2   2   1   1   1   1                        9 Pollys Bott (24,=)
     13  13   4   1  10   6                           47 DeadCalm (25,=)
      2   2   1   5   2                               12 pdstsp (26,=)
      1   1   1   2   1                                6 feargalmc (27,=)
      2   1                                            3 taon24 (28,=)
      3                                                3 mattpage (29,=)
      3                                                3 Strith (29,=)
      2                                                2 Brakeless (31,=)
      1                                                1 DaveL (32,=)
      1                                                1 VeloPeloton (32,=)
      1                                                1 KPHC (32,=)
      1                                                1 Richysticky (32,=)
      1                                                1 DaxPlusPlus (32,=)
      1                                                1 andy29764 (32,=)
      1                                                1 davix (32,=)
      1                                                1 defride (32,=)
                                                         Caleido (40,=)
                                                         Pumpkin Positive  (40,=)
                                                         BobScarle (40,=)
                                                         Negativelycra (40,=)
                                                         Gussio (40,=)
                                                         charliew87 (40,=)

• JamesB
    Thanks Durrin for overseeing this, and congratulations to R2C on a sustained and consistent performance :!:

How about this http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/ though ---75 000 miles + in a year goal. Good luck Steve Abraham :!:
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Thanks to Durrin for keeping the scores and updating the leaderboard and well done to everyone who completed the challenge. All the best for 2015 :)