Would this wheelset be safe/feasible for a 180lb rider?

13»

Comments

• Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Moonbiker wrote:
    How are you getting on with theese wheels?

Used them for at least 300-500 miles up to now. Still true and still butter smooth, front wheel spins "forever".

I have been surprised by them. £190 @ 1400g 8)

I do have Marathon Plus on and maybe that 5mm of foam in the tyre protects the rim slightly?

I am getting lighter though... so the wheels are gradually getting safer. :P

The only thing about these wheels is so few spokes. I should have got a custom build or something with 32F/32R or something. Thing is spokes are the difference IMO. Not sure what an additional 24 spokes is but its basically running on 2/3 of the spokes a touring bike would.

I don't fit into a category lol, I do long rides with emergency tools on me, don't care how fast I go and only care about being comfy. :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Manc33 wrote:
    One good thing I can say about those Triban 3 wheels, although heavy (and I have Marathon Plusses on @ 590g per tyre), they are bomb proof. I never trued them at all for more than 1000 miles and tonight I looked and they only needed very slight truing, like 1/16th of a turn on odd spokes here and there.

I admire your low expectations! My old Khamsins are on about 17,000 miles and I haven't needed to touch them.

Mind you, with the weight of those Marathon Pluses on them the wheels would probably sag when the bike was parked! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Rolf F wrote:

I admire your low expectations! My old Khamsins are on about 17,000 miles and I haven't needed to touch them.

It seems to be the case... lots of people astonished that some wheels can even go for 2,000 miles... that's almost one full Tour de France... :shock: :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    To be fair he can only comment on the mileage he has put on them...
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I only have low expectations where bearings are concerned. The ones on the rear wheel of the Triban 3 (red) went lumpy and it had done under 2000 miles. The wheels didn't spin well, even when new. :roll: Not sure what wheels on a £300 bike would cost but I guess £40 or under. I suppose comparing a £190 wheelset is silly lol.

A year ago I thought you had to spend a fortune to get light wheels but, I found you can get them... you just have to pray they are strong enough. I'm at about 160lbs now and long may it continue.

Been trying the Claris flat bar shifters out on it, meh... they are what I expected for the price - about Alivio level if MTB. I found Shimano don't make road gear worse than Alivio, but MTB gear yes there's a lot of stuff "under" Alivio. Says a lot about the two disciplines I think. :lol: I mean MTBing is for kids and adults. Road cycling is for adults.

I hate the trim control on the shifter, it seems all three chainrings have it now. :cry: Honestly I would rather have chain rub, or put a 9spd chain on it (8 spd drivetrain).

Was looking at those Novatec hubs and ceramic bearings before, you can have both hubs and bearings for £115. I can't justify it because I already have miles better wheels than I did have, but its cheap I think. Sapim Laser spokes are about £50 for 48, its doable cheap. Would love ceramic hubs. :oops:
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Hmmm Superstar road wheel parts look interesting...