What used to be the Cars Thread

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My dream car used to be the old Porsche 911 Clubsport. Last year I blagged a drive in one.
    I wish I hadn't, sometimes dreams are better than reality :-(
    There's always the Ferrari F40
  • WindyG wrote:
    I have always wanted one of these:
    ultima-gtr-06.jpg

Ive seen one of these zip past me before. The noise is beeeeeautiful. Didnt get much of a look though, it was going too fast, i was cycling along an A road, so yeah.

Nice FTO!

F40 = best looking ferrari. Especially the C Version.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    The only car that needs mentioned in this thread is this one:

mp4-13-mcla-hakk-1998-1.jpg

/thread
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit sh1t on the M25 though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

• Not strictly a car but one of these for me
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • bennett_346
    cooldad wrote:
    Bit sh1t on the M25 though.
    As with anything else that goes over 45mph, wasted.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    F1 cars looked best in the late80's/early 90's, the MP4/4 and FW14b were just stunning 8)

fe041677.jpg

mans_will_imol_1992.jpg

Of modern F1 cars the MP4/20 is imo the best looking and was insanely quick, had it not been so unreliable t would have won the world championship, no doubt about it.

2237-5.jpg

Road cars the GT40 is a good shout, but I've always been a huge Daytona fan

shelby-cobra-daytona-06.jpg

Imo the modern replicas look even better too!

ear_daytona_shelby_cobra_coupe_005.jpg

As for E-types, the lightweights are the ones you really want

5893803264_3283479174.jpg

Only 12 were made, so you can imagine my shock when I discovered the company I work for had overseen the sale of the very car in the picture above, my days work was well and truly put to one side that day! :lol: It was extensively raced and was pretty successful too.

The woman who owned it also owned the prototype for the E-type, E2A

pictures_jaguar_concepts_1960_1.jpg

Rather than be scrapped like most prototypes, this one was kept and sold a few years ago for nearly $5m...
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i think the F40 is the best looking ferarri.

i feel pretty lucky to own the car i have always wanted (ive never been all that ambitious) it is so cool.

10349866184_3c377a18e8_c.jpg
  • bennett_346

i feel pretty lucky to own the car i have always wanted (ive never been all that ambitious) it is so cool.

What is it? Thought maybe an M1 at first because of the shark nose thing going on but i don't think it is.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Woodmonkey wrote:

Not strictly a car but one of these for me

This every time 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • lawman

What is it? Thought maybe an M1 at first because of the shark nose thing going on but i don't think it is.

Looks like an 8 series, 835i?
  • bennett_346
    lawman wrote:

Looks like an 8 series, 835i?
    If it is that's one expensive car. V8 or V12?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    V8 for the win
  • Lawman, im glad you like the Cobra Daytona too. Its soo good! I dont think the 2002 (?) McLaren F1 car is the best looking f1 car. I think its far off. And as a Raikkonen fan i have a massive grudge against McLaren f1 cars from around 2002-2005 ish. Kimi could be double if not triple world champion had it not broken down so often. He retired from the lead 3 races in a row!

I think sheepsteeths BMW is a V12 if im not mistaken. Love them things. The back is so nice, reminds me of a 69 Charger.You should get some BBS wheels to finish it off. :P

I was walking over to my mates house and for what ever reason i saw a Cobra parked on the road he lived on. I couldnt actually believe my eyes!!! I banged on his door and told him to come out and see it. Its obviously a kit car, but still, sexy as hell. Though i would have gone for a different colour, it deserves something more in your face.

16122012347_zps0c52137f.jpg
    16122012348_zpse9df39bb.jpg

I think the best looking F1 cars came from the 1960s. I just love the huge tyres, ususally naked back end, and just the overall look. This years Lotus, the E21 looks really nice aswell. I think this one is the 1968 Lotus.

Lotus_49B_zpse8988c75.jpg

Does anyone remember a neon blue F1 car? I saw a photo ages ago but i just cant remember what it was or what team had it. I think it was from the 90s.
  • lawman
    Lawman, im glad you like the Cobra Daytona too. Its soo good! I dont think the 2002 (?) McLaren F1 car is the best looking f1 car. I think its far off. And as a Raikkonen fan i have a massive grudge against McLaren f1 cars from around 2002-2005 ish. Kimi could be double if not triple world champion had it not broken down so often. He retired from the lead 3 races in a row!

I think sheepsteeths BMW is a V12 if im not mistaken. Love them things. The back is so nice, reminds me of a 69 Charger.You should get some BBS wheels to finish it off. :P

The MP4/20 was the 2005 car, a massive improvement over the MP4/18 and 4/19, the MP4/18 never actually raced in 2003, they used a highly modded version of the 2002 MP4/17. The MP4/19 was as bad as this years car until they effectively bought out a new car with the MP4/19b.

The 8 series had V8 or V12, neither were particular powerful and the depreciation was insane, can be had reasonably cheap these days, £6-7k will get you a decent one.
  • As I can drive a car, and OP can't, this is the best car

26nov09o2bt4uo22.jpg
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • I could have had a licence by now if i wanted to, but there isn't much point for me to get one.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,883
    I could have had a licence by now if i wanted to, but there isn't much point for me to get one.

yes there is
  • I wont be needing a car any time soon, so there isn't much need for to get one. I know i could get it in advance but i wont be needing a car in at least the next 2 years.
  • tlw1
    I wont be needing a car any time soon, so there isn't much need for to get one. I know i could get it in advance but i wont be needing a car in at least the next 2 years.

get your licence as soon as possible and then you can worry about a car later - good for when you are looking for a job (esp if you have had it for a few years)

anyway back to cars........

lotus_340r-8.jpg
  • Fool. Get one ASAP. You never know. Older people learning is weird.
  • Fair points, ill see.

What Lotus is that? I think this looks better as a small Lotus.

images_zps007c249b.jpg
  • tlw1
    Fair points, ill see.

What Lotus is that? I think this looks better as a small Lotus.

images_zps007c249b.jpg

340r
  • bennett_346
    Get your license now or you'll forever delay it, it'll cost you more each year you delay it and having a license even if you aren't driving goes some way to lowering your insurance when you do get a car. Also they will probably change the test sooner or later to make it more of a ballache to be a learner with the curfews and minimum hours training requirements.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nah, spend it on women, beer and getting laid. And beer.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unless you bat left handed.
  • tlw1
    supersonic wrote:

then men & cocktails :)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    matthew h wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

then men & cocktails :)

He could still get a car too :lol:

image.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Women and getting laid is free :wink: And beer isnt too dear.

Just when you think Nissan Micras cant get any worse... :lol:

As a first car i think id like a Saxo. Or a Punto.