Would you buy "used" bib shorts or tights?

Claud Roubaix
Claud Roubaix Posts: 76
edited December 2017 in Road general
I have been searching the eBay for some bib tights for next spring and couldn't believe the number of used shorts and tights for sale.
Bearing in mind that 99%* of us ride comnando and the very nature of the area worn would many even consider buying used tights or shorts?
I wouldn't.

Comments

• cenkee
    cenkee Posts: 71
    it's like buying used underwear imho so no I wouldnt.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I think if they were bought and never used and still tagged its different. Otherwise no.

I'm not sure its 99% maybe 80%. I don't ride commando.
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Think I'd be more concerned about fit, surely if they've been washed they'll be ok to wear. Just not a nice thought :shock:
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Nope.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have one pair of second hand 3/4 lengths ... they were my brothers ... I draw the line at second hand from further away than that ... ;)
  • depends on the quality and price. I wouldnt buy a 2nd hand pair of 20quid new shorts, but i would buy a £100 pair if getting them for great price and good condition. Give them a good scrub and check for things crawling about and forget about it lol.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    No way!
  • Yes, they wash !
  • 100% no way
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    No chance :shock:
    For no logical reason (given that washing machines exist), but plenty of illogical ones :D
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I certainly wouldn't buy used shorts but I have sold a pair of Assos that I wore just once. Mine all have skid marks {except those} so there is no way I am buying someone else`s used shorts.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Never in a million years!
  • Can only assume that many of you live in parts of the UK not privileged enough own washing machines.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Not a chance, would you buy second hand underwear ?
    (not including used thongs from dodgy websites !)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • No chance, you never know who's dangly bits have been mashed against the pad.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    diy wrote:
    I think if they were bought and never used and still tagged its different. Otherwise no.

I find this incredibly worrying as it's less comfortable and hygienic and also increases the chance of chaffing.

Take your pants off son and ride like a real man.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Can only assume that many of you live in parts of the UK not privileged enough own washing machines.

:lol:
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I do, doesn't worry me at all. There's all sorts of hygiene issues to be worried about - a washed cycling short isn't one of them (and for those of us who might sometimes not wash shorts between rides, that's surely more worth worrying about. I commute 5 days a week and I certainly don't get through 10 lots of shorts a week).

I don't think I'd buy anything that wasn't advertised as 'hardly used' or similar. we all have our limits ;-)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    No way, it's as bad as wearing another mans grundies in my opinion :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Scozz76 wrote:
    No chance, you never know who's dangly bits have been mashed against the pad.

I'm more concerned about the sweaty ar*e hole that's been mashed against the pad !!!!!
    :?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    there's more chance of picking up something nasty on your feet when using a communal shower without flip flops than from someone elses washed in detergent shorts :)
  • i have purchased second hand bibs and also had some brought from me. its all down to opinion i guess. in mine i can easily wash them and if it saves me a few quid too then great. i'm not worried about other people having used them in the past as vanish/persil et al will clear most horribleness from the pad.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    taff.. wrote:
    there's more chance of picking up something nasty on your feet when using a communal shower without flip flops than from someone elses washed in detergent shorts :)

Probably true but it is still a step/skid too far.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    I've sold loads of second hand shorts so there's plenty that don't mind. For me the thought is off putting but I'm sure it's perfectly safe if you give them a thorough wash before wearing - maybe a little higher than a 30 deg wash though, just for ease of mind!
  • Grill wrote:
    I find this incredibly worrying as it's less comfortable and hygienic and also increases the chance of chaffing.
    I've come to agree that it's less comfortable, in warm weather at least, but how on earth can it be less hygienic if you wash both??
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Grill
    Underwear bunches so bacteria spreads quicker. Also, most pads have at least some antibacterial properties, unlike a pair of cotton knicks.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Apparently semen is almost impossible to get out of fabric. So based on that watertight fact, no I wouldn't buy used bibs etc.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Grill wrote:
    diy wrote:

Take your pants off son and ride like a real man.

I find the fact that you are worried, incredibly worrying ;)
  • Grill
    We'll just see who gets an abscess first ;)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    johnny25 wrote:
    Apparently semen is almost impossible to get out of fabric. So based on that watertight fact, no I wouldn't buy used bibs etc.

I don't know what you get upto on your bike rides but semen in your shorts :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn