Health and Safety at University or Lack of

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
We had a phone call this morning from my daughter. She is studying art at uni and whilst working in the print room had by accident flicked diluted nitric acid into her eye. I dashed to pick her up(thankfully we live half hour away) and take her to the eye hospital where after an hours wait she was told she had a mild burn to her cornea, which will heal. Thank heavens.
But the big question is that there is no requirement for anyone in this university's environment to wear goggles. In this day and age I find this quite incredible. The mere fact that she was administered an eye wash means they recognise there is a hazard.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• Could she not have decided for herself that safety equipment was a requirement before working with acid...?

morpheus-meme-generator-you-can-take-responsibility-for-your-decisions-or-you-can-blame-someone-else-it-s-your-choice-07a24f.jpg
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Could she not have decided for herself that safety equipment was a requirement before working with acid...?

Quite, you can legislate about anything but sometimes these things just come down to good old common sense :wink:

Glad your daughter is ok by the way OP :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Flip side.

In our office kitchen:-

We are not allowed knives as someone may be cut.
    We are not allowed a kettle as someone may get scalded.
    We are not allowed washing up liquid as someone may drink it.

What happened to common sense FFS?

All the above has nothing to do with H&S and everything to do with avoiding compo claims.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:
    Flip side.

In our office kitchen:-

What happened to common sense FFS?

All the above has nothing to do with H&S and everything to do with avoiding compo claims.

Bloody hell daviesee where do you work, a creche :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    arran77 wrote:

Bloody hell daviesee where do you work, a creche :shock:
    Complicated.
    I am working freelance at a big company which has a project department within there clients office.
    The client shouldnt be named but they are getting their arse's kicked by American lawyers so that could explain there caution.
  • daviesee wrote:

I hope you sneak these things in and leave them lying around the kitchen just to freak out the H&S rep...? :lol:
  • daviesee
    I hope you sneak these things in and leave them lying around the kitchen just to freak out the H&S rep...? :lol:
    Sgian Dubh -
    The name comes from the Gaelic sgian-dubh. Although the primary meaning of dubh is "black", the secondary meaning of "hidden" is at the root of sgian-dubh, based on the stories and theories surrounding the knife's origin, in particular those associated with the Highland custom of depositing weapons at the entrance to a house prior to entering as a guest.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    pfft, i've been to simple meetings at customer offices where carrying a drink without a lid was forbidden, and walking up/down stairs without holding the handrail was counted as a 'near miss' to be logged by the safety officer

if i ever get rich, i'm going there, and ooooooo it'll be an exciting day for them!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bad penny, just drink some buckie at lunch time and go abd tell em what u think
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I worried one day that I'll go there and be tempted to do an experiment without goggles...
  • Hmm, just attended a health and safety course and under the health and safety at work act they (the uni) have a duty to care to all employees and the public (sure shell fit into one of them) also under the management of health and safety at work regs all activities require a suitable risk assessment be carried out to highlight potential risks and what should be put in place to mitigate against them, eye wash alone would not be a suitable measure! You may well have a good case for compensation (county court) if that's the route you wanted to go down.

Saying that I'm not sure if a passed the exams lol
  • daviesee
    sungod wrote:
    pfft, i've been to simple meetings at customer offices where carrying a drink without a lid was forbidden, and walking up/down stairs without holding the handrail was counted as a 'near miss' to be logged by the safety officer

if i ever get rich, i'm going there, and ooooooo it'll be an exciting day for them!
    I only didn't mention those too out as they are just so common. :wink:
  • Flashart wrote:
    You may well have a good case for compensation (county court)

I know its wrong to judge people, especially after only 3 posts. But can I just say, I hate you...!!!

:roll:
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Glad to hear the OPs daughter is OK and all that, but is it not possible that the university has done risk assesments/has H&S procedures in place and people/students simply ignore them?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Flashart wrote:

I know its wrong to judge people, especially after only 3 posts. But can I just say, I hate you...!!!

Doesn't endear himself does he?

Suggesting that a Uni student who can't work out that it would be wise to wear specs when working with acid, should sue the university for failing to state the bleedin' obvious is beyond parody.
  • arran77
    I'm guessing that none of this was the response the OP imagined :lol:

seanoconn
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Flashart wrote:

Suggesting that a Uni student who can't work out that it would be wise to wear specs when working with acid, should sue the university for failing to state the bleedin' obvious is beyond parody.

The law doesn't look at it like that, in the event of serious accidents if it's found that reasonable steps were not taken to prevent such an occurence then those in charge could be fined or go to jail, regardless of those involved in the accidents not having taken what would appear to most to be obvious precautions. If the Uni didn't explicitly say always wear goggles and provide them then they are very likely in breach of the rules. Just saying that the students shouldn't be so stupid isn't a defence and if you are bored there are plenty of accident case studies on the HSE website that illustrate this.
  • arran77
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Flashart wrote:

The law doesn't look at it like that, in the event of serious accidents if it's found that reasonable steps were not taken to prevent such an occurence then those in charge could be fined or go to jail, regardless of those involved in the accidents not having taken what would appear to most to be obvious precautions. If the Uni didn't explicitly say always wear goggles and provide them then they are very likely in breach of the rules. Just saying that the students shouldn't be so stupid isn't a defence and if you are bored there are plenty of accident case studies on the HSE website that illustrate this.

The industry I work in is massively legislated by H & S laws but no matter how much of this there is in place the weakest link in it all is always people, and sometimes despite everything in place to keep you safe, people will do some utterly stupid things :wink:

seanoconn
  • sungod wrote:

Bet I can name that company in one. Intelligence has nothing to do with it. I worked there as a supplier for a few years and I still remember having to do a full safety stand down to my team on how to open a door (with a supplied presentation that basically told you to use your hand and not your face ! ).
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Flashart wrote:

We all know what the law says. It is somewhat depressing to have to agree that there will be reams of case law, showing you to be correct. It is because of such attitudes that we are turning into a nation of total w@nkers.
    That is why cups of coffee have warnings on them and even some packets of nuts warn us that they may contain nuts.
    FFS people. Lets start to think and take responsibility for our own actions.
  • daviesee
    Ballysmate wrote:
    We all know what the law says. It is somewhat depressing to have to agree that there will be reams of case law, showing you to be correct. It is because of such attitudes that we are turning into a nation of total w@nkers.
    That is why cups of coffee have warnings on them and even some packets of nuts warn us that they may contain nuts.
    When people ask why Britain is no longer Great, a large number of them need go no further than the nearest mirror.
    They are usually the one's moaning about being bored to.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Flashart wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong, it can bug the sh1t out of me too in many cases..like I said, easy example http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/maint ... sulate.htm

Quite why you'd pick up wires without checking they are live first I don't know but it still cost the firm a fine which seems absurd.
  • Flashart wrote:

Lol where's the love :D just saying it how it's seen in the light of h&s, and I've been writing reports for the last few days so it's all splurging outta me, not saying I condone it by any shakes, my 'personal' view is that I'd like to see it go back to how it was 10-15 years ago before h&s got all silly! If it's hot and you pick it up then it's your fault, nowadays though someone's always to blame.
  • arran77
    Totally agree with what Bally says, people need to take some responsibility for themselves, the human race hasn't got this far without figuring sh1t out for ourselves, the problem is made worse I think because it seems now that children aren't allowed to take risks and learn for themselves and this is creating a nation of idiots who haven't the sense they were born with, literally :roll:

seanoconn
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Someone I know has a sandwich shop and the council made her state on the menu board, that a "Tuna Roll"...... Wait for it........ "Contains fish".

She refused, but relented when they threatened her with a fine or court !

:roll: :roll: :roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • arran77
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Flashart wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong, it can bug the sh1t out of me too in many cases..like I said, easy example http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/maint ... sulate.htm

Quite why you'd pick up wires without checking they are live first I don't know but it still cost the firm a fine which seems absurd.

That's ridiculous, the first thing that any electrical apprentice learns is to assume that cables are always live FFS :roll:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    That's ridiculous, the first thing that any electrical apprentice learns is to assume that cables are always live FFS :roll:

I always thought the first thing you should do before touching bare wires was lick your fingers. :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Ballysmate wrote:
    ^
    This.

Seems to have spread from Septic-land where people sued successfully because products didn't have warnings of the f*****g blindingly obvious on them like 'do not iron while wearing' on a shirt.

I say it's best to let people that stupid get a Darwin award, our species will be stronger for it in the long run.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bally spot on.

but im afraid this is what you lot get for voting labour in for over a decade and getting bent over by europe.

clegg, milli, cam are all handwringing wangers.

Big Nige is one of the few who can sort this out.

TINA
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    bally spot on.

but im afraid this is what you lot get for voting labour in for over a decade and getting bent over by europe.

clegg, milli, cam are all handwringing wangers.

Big Nige is one of the few who can sort this out.

TINA
    Mantis, you're needed over in Commuting Chat to liven things up a bit :lol:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]