Inside Team Sky - David Walsh *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    nic_77 wrote:
    Nutella has nothing to do with it. The main reason for Sky's success is, to quote Walsh, that they "wrap the rice cakes in special paper, not aluminium foil"

Of course that's not the sole reason, but every little helps. Some people seem to be unable to comprehend that a large collection of minor efficiency gains add up to a significant cumulative advantage. It's true, it works. You can do it in your everyday life.

Now, what's so 'special' about that "special paper" I hear you cry....
    In the 80s the soigneur Shelley Verses said she sometimes wrapped cake in pages from Playboy to cheer the riders up.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nic_77 wrote:
    Nutella has nothing to do with it. The main reason for Sky's success is, to quote Walsh, that they "wrap the rice cakes in special paper, not aluminium foil"

Of course that's not the sole reason, but every little helps. Some people seem to be unable to comprehend that a large collection of minor efficiency gains add up to a significant cumulative advantage. It's true, it works. You can do it in your everyday life.

Now, what's so 'special' about that "special paper" I hear you cry....

I take your point. But as stated, as this is the Walsh thread, Walsh doesn't really know what other teams do. He basis his theory on what he sees at Sky.

He was impressed by the apparent ban on Nutella and that Lopez managed to consume all year long until he got to the Tour.

If that's all he got from his 10 weeks then we've all been fooled.

I'm sure Froome didn't ride like Armstrong due to the ban on Nutella.

I find his arguments weak. The fanatics here appears to digest anything Walsh puts forward. Given cycling's history that appears foolhardy.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Nutella , beetroot juice, EPO, sausages, Crack, Haribo's Tangtastics , Sherbet dip dabs, KFC and Belgium chocolates have all been used by Sky quite successfully.

This is the diet I would say works for everyone and even Brailsford was impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgwJfbeCeU
  • rayjay wrote:
    Nutella , beetroot juice, EPO, sausages, Crack, Haribo's Tangtastics , Sherbet dip dabs, KFC and Belgium chocolates have all been used by Sky quite successfully.

This is the diet I would say works for everyone and even Brailsford was impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgwJfbeCeU

Free Lopez!

He's innocent of crimes against Nutella!

2e2o0hj.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The most damning thing in the book I think, if when Walsh claims Froome was drinking Gatorade. Everyone knows they don't actually use the stuff despite being sponsored by them.

I wonder, if Kimmage had a personality transplant so that people could actually stand being around him, and wrote this book, would he be considered a mug who'd been fooled by Sky?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    I've got it. Sky were smuggling their stash in the Nutella jars - hence the disgust when Lopez was seen scoffing it all himself. Maybe this also explains his own drop in form... it's like Hamilton's bad blood bag.

Feel free to take this information back to the clinic as further confirmed, solid evidence.
  • nic_77 wrote:
    I've got it. Sky were smuggling their stash in the Nutella jars - hence the disgust when Lopez was seen scoffing it all himself. Maybe this also explains his own drop in form... it's like Hamilton's bad blood bag.

Feel free to take this information back to the clinic as further confirmed, solid evidence.

Who said anything about doping.

I think for Walsh it just shows how blind he is. Or maybe he didn't get feed those fluffy nutella infused banana fritters?

Perhaps he should stick to tailwinds, no?

The fanatics here will eat (pardon the pun) anything Walsh puts forward. It is funny.

I mean you have to laugh at it all, yes? Surely?
  • iainf72
    Who are these fanatics? Do they actually exist?
  • iainf72 wrote:

I feel this forum has many fanatics. They appear to blindly support and say we should not ask questions. Should not be suspicious and say nothing. Do not post, print or say anything about Sky. Unless its positive.

That's a fanatic.

Many here like that.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

I feel this forum has many fanatics. They appear to blindly support and say we should not ask questions. Should not be suspicious and say nothing. Do not post, print or say anything about Sky. Unless its positive.

That's a fanatic.

Many here like that.

Can you name 5?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

That's a fanatic.

Many here like that.

Can you name 5?

No. I'm not going to shame anyone for their beliefs.

If they wish to blindly love Sky that's ok with me. I may not agree with them but that is their choice.

It will ultimately cause them a great deal of pain but that is not my responsibility.

I'm here only to discuss topics at hand. This thread is about Walsh. Not who is blind.
  • nic_77
    edited December 2013
    I'm beginning to suspect that WBT is just trying to keep this thread rolling by repeatedly posting the same dogma. The act-all-thoughtful approach is a nice touch. Is there a name for this activity?

As far as I can tell most other posters share a similar position, namely:
    1. Suspicion is fine
    2. Acting upon it is inappropriate without credible evidence
    3. Walsh seems convinced which must count for something (regardless of how well he has presented his case)
  • nic_77
    It now seems that Walsh is no longer Sky's version of Joseph Goebbels, but has been promoted to full, Adolph Hitler status.
    Oh, and by the way I call Godwin's law
    Please close the thread.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

That's a fanatic.

Many here like that.

Can you name 5?

Don't bother Iain. The guy is just trying to keep the post going by repeating the same old trash. You can not argue with someone who has made there mind up and are not interested in discussion, just statements. Judge and jury like all on the clinic, end of story for Sky, guilty as charged.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

That's a fanatic.

Many here like that.

Can you name 5?

There's that well known Sky fanboy Iainf72 for a start :lol:
  • mike6 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

That's a fanatic.

Many here like that.

Can you name 5?

Don't bother Iain. The guy is just trying to keep the post going by repeating the same old trash. You can not argue with someone who has made there mind up and are not interested in discussion, just statements. Judge and jury like all on the clinic, end of story for Sky, guilty as charged.

Why do you keep saying this?

I've never said Sky are doping 100%. Ever.

I'm suspicious and my suspicion wants to know more.

Why do the lines have to be drawn into "believer", "non-believer"?

Can't one just be suspect? As I am?

This is a Walsh thread and I bring up some of the lunacy in his statements. He cannot be believed. Many here we've had some good discussions.

Why try and stop the debate? What's there to be afraid of?
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    I heard Lopez had to have jars of Nutella brought in from over the Spanish border on a motorbike ridden by his brother. The empty jars were smashed into tiny pieces and taken out in crushed coke cans. He deliberately joined Sky because the dark kit wouldn't show up smears of chocolate-hazelnut spread if he ever got careless in his room.
  • rayjay
    I am putting a crack team of" sneaky tour bus and hotel invaders " together
    We will get to the truth of this Sky/froome doping thing, once and for all.
    Forget about books and PR spin.
    We will be getting actual evidence. Fridge raiding and bag infiltration will be a necessary.
    I would prefer if you have ninja experience and of course Batman is welcome to join no questions asked.
    I would say this though. We are on our own and if we do get caught by a very skinny cyclist it will be mano vs mano. Who's with me?
  • 9a9xu0.jpg

Walsh out doing himself on this one.

When did the Tour start?

Did Walsh actually read what he wrote?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    rayjay wrote:
    I am putting a crack team of" sneaky tour bus and hotel invaders " together
    Who's with me?

Pesky kids
    BedlamInTheBigTop-a.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Wow! A typo.
    Clear proof that Walsh is no longer to be trusted and is in (insert publishing house of choice) pocket.

So now, not only do we have a Clinic 12, but a Bikerader half dozen.
    Consigned to cheap re-make territory before we start.
    Who's playing Lee Marvin? How about his brother, Hank. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Wow! A typo.
    Clear proof that Walsh is no longer to be trusted and is in (insert publishing house of choice) pocket.

So now, not only do we have a Clinic 12, but a Bikerader half dozen.
    Consigned to cheap re-make territory before we start.
    Who's playing Lee Marvin? How about his brother, Hank. :P

You are fanatical aren't you?

Clearly Walsh hasn't fact checked his book. So many mistakes.

Id say he doesn't know his subject very well.

How can one get the Tour date wrong?

He's a strange man.
  • nic_77
    He's a strange man.
    You know this do you. You've met him have you?
  • My concern with the mistakes is Walsh has put profit above people.

Clearly it was more important to have the book in print generating profit for himself than to produce a factually correct and accurate account.

That is strange yes. But not unexpected.

To use one of Walsh's quotes from the CN interview. Couldn't have put it better myself.
    "And I thought that’s where we’re at now, with this kind of nonsense being peddled as journalism."

The fanatics here will buy the book. My copy was for research purposes only.
  • The Tour started in 1903 or am I missing something?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    3 of 9 people found the following review helpful
    5.0 out of 5 stars Clinical review..cycling fans speak 25 Nov 2013
    By xcracer
    Format:Kindle EditionThis is a good read and provides an interesting insight to the Sky inner workings. Others who have read it think it's awesome too, some quotes below;

The Hog "...Walsh sure knows his stuff.."
    Jens_Attacks "...Pure Genius.."
    The Hitch " ..Wow. That was amazing.."
    The Hog .."Poetry. ..Walsh sure is sharp..."
    Fearless Greg Lemond "..it keeps getting better and better..." "..Brilliant stuff.." "..I hope it sells well.."
    LaFlorecita "..Awesome..."
    Jens_attacks.." Walsh is just giving his best..."

I highly recommend this book to fans and non fans alike.

:lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Snakbar wrote:
    The Tour started in 1903 or am I missing something?

July as to June.

Schoolboy error from Walsh. If it was a one off but one of countless.

Lost count. Although I'm sure he got the profit margin tuned correctly.
  • rayjay
    I once saw a cloud that looked like Nicole Cook.

Have any of you seen any clouds that look like cyclists?
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    rayjay wrote:
    I once saw a cloud that looked like Nicole Cook.

Have any of you seen any clouds that look like cyclists?

I once saw a cumulonimbus that looked like jan ullrich in March
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314

July as to June

Nope... Meaningless English: I don't understand.
    Schoolboy error from Walsh. If it was a one off but one of countless.
    Lost count
    Appalling use of language: however, only being able to count to 8 because one thumb is occupied in mouth and the other up @rse doesn't constitute numerical proof
    Although I'm sure he got the profit margin tuned correctly.

Hallelujah! An Irish cycling journalist can turn in a profit? I sure he got that to...
This discussion has been closed.