Adblocker problem

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
OK, please help - I'm in distress! I had to reinstall IE and it lost A_d.b'l`o*c-k~e^r. Now when I download it, nothing actually seems to happen. I rebooted as prompted but I still get the horrendous Bikeradar Spam ads (can't imagine how anybody can stand using BR with them on...). There's a folder for it in Programme Files but it doesn't appear on the listings for programmes.

Failing fixing this one, are there any other similar programmes recommended. Replies asap please as I can't keep looking at BR when it is like this!

Ah haa - very amusing thread title auto change. To the Admins. I am all in favour of advertising to support the site but please have the class not to turn the site into a nightmare with obtrusive, nasty adverts that make me feel queasy when I scroll around. It's not clever. Other sites manage not to do it. BR should have the class to do the same. All I want to do is to be able to enjoy the site. If you won't do something about it then you force me to do something about it. I just want to keep contributing to a nice site - not give up on a horrible one.
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• I DO NOT WANT A GIANT CAR TYRE TAKING UP MY WHOLE SCREEN THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Kwells. :D
  • rolf_f
    I DO NOT WANT A GIANT CAR TYRE TAKING UP MY WHOLE SCREEN THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Yeah, but I bet you've bought four Continental tyres for your car in the last week haven't you and you don't even know why! It really does work rather than alienating you from the company and thinking "maybe the last brand of tyre I will ever purchase for my car or bike is Continental because of their idiotic adverts".

Anyway, dear control freak admins - I have successfully worked out what was wrong. Unlike seemingly most programmes these days that like to inflict themselves on you even though you hate them and never asked for them (eg Google Chrome, BR adverts) Adthingummy is a considerate thing that thinks even after you went to the trouble of downloading it that you'd actually like to turn it on and enable it yourself. So I have done so. Would that other things weren't so rudely pushy! :wink:
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Out of interest, what does it cost to run a forum like this ?
    Living MY dream.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    WHY ARE YOU USING INTERNET EXPLORER?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • rolf_f
    declan1 wrote:

I have Firefox as well (but only because Strava stopped working on IE) - but I have IE because my computer builder tells me off if I bring the computer in and I haven't got IE as default :lol:
  • declan1
    Rolf F wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

I have Firefox as well (but only because Strava stopped working on IE) - but I have IE because my computer builder tells me off if I bring the computer in and I haven't got IE as default :lol:

Really? I hope you're joking ;)

Chrome is really the best browser out there by far. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it - lightweight and very fast!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Not entirely sure advertisers do themselves any favours with really intrusive pop-ups and what have you. A bit short sighted really to p*ss your audience off.
  • rolf_f
    declan1 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

Really? I hope you're joking ;)

Chrome is really the best browser out there by far. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it - lightweight and very fast!

TBH, I'm not too fussed what I use as long as it does what I want and IE generally does. I wouldn't touch Chrome with a bargepole on principle because it is like these adverts - it forces itself in. Twice recently I've inadvertently ended up with Chrome replacing IE despite me not asking for it and it has been mildly irritating to get rid of. So, for being impolite, no matter how good it is, Chrome is banished forevermore from my computer. Had it not kept behaving like a virus I may well have tried it and found it to be good. Sadly, that will never happen.....
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Rolf F wrote:
    ....All I want to do is to be able to enjoy the site. If you won't do something about it then you force me to do something about it. I just want to keep contributing to a nice site - not give up on a horrible one.[/color]
    I really do wonder when the advertisers will realise that peeing off the viewers only makes the viewers look for ways to circumvent them so it is entirely counter productive.
    Everyone I know now uses such programs and zero ads are now viewed.

Simply silly.

I was happy with the old style ads, and even clicked on a few. Just to show how counter productive the new ones are.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    The problem is that, on telly at least, annoying ads have been shown to be more succesful at making a product memorable and increasing sales eg "shake and vac" or "chicken tonight". Is there any reason not to think internet ads aren't the same but more so?

I could stop using Bike Radar tomorrow, but ask me to name a brand of tyre next week...
  • Annoying does not increase sales. Memorable does. Of course, annoying canbe memorable, but see 2 years ago for the financials of the meerkats vs go compare. Meerkats caused a near 20% market share swing away from annoying.

All i remeber about the crap on the left / right of my br screen is that it's annoying as fuck. If it was a normal banner in my eyeline, i might remember it, but i don't. The logical step would be ad blocker, but then br don't get paid. Seems sane to me for br to tone it down a ntch?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    And of course, tv ads are still regulated (mins per hour of advertising, product placement etc) so tv companies have to rein it in a bit,unlike certain websites. Fortunately my tablet has never shown the side bar ads, so I only get to see them if I view the site at work.
  • I've just turned my 'badlocker' off just to see what all the fuss was about. IT'S HORRIBLE :shock: The screen jumps around all over the place, and the scrolling ads down the side are so distracting.

That's enough for me. Switching it back on straight away :D
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Ahh. Normalcy resumed. All peace and harmony now.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • rolf_f
    mrfpb wrote:
    The problem is that, on telly at least, annoying ads have been shown to be more succesful at making a product memorable and increasing sales eg "shake and vac" or "chicken tonight". Is there any reason not to think internet ads aren't the same but more so?

True - but so far (product placement aside), adverts don't tend to take the form of a tyre suddenly appearing and obliterating the entire view at random moments within the programme itself. At least TV adverts have the decency to keep to their place. Rather like the old advert banners on BR did.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Unfortunately the golden age of advertising ended a long time ago. Now it's all about impact, and pretty much all of it is crap.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Shouldn't come as much surprise that us chaps with red names have nothing to do with the adverts either.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Spare a thought for those of us who are limited to a works machine without any admin rights.

We have to put up with the ads no matter what. Although they seem sporadic at best, sometimes they are not there at all , which is nice.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    If you can have chrome, use it at home and sign in to it (does mean giving google your soul) then sign in at work and it will automatically update....it did for me anyhoo...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dog Breath wrote:
    I've just turned my 'badlocker' off just to see what all the fuss was about. IT'S HORRIBLE :shock: The screen jumps around all over the place, and the scrolling ads down the side are so distracting.

That's enough for me. Switching it back on straight away :D
    I had a look too. Eye-bleedingly horrendous.

I would rather pay a subscription than have to put up with that, in the absence of blocking options.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Bit like work then really, they say they welcome feedback but then get a bit sniffy when you don't say everything is mahvelous daahling. The bouncing banners and jumping screen are just annoying and vomit inducing.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Anyone know if you get get rid of the ads if using Safari on an ipad?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Was a prob with iPad and safari... So after advice I changed my DNS to 74.53.155.162. There is a YouTube vid on this. Sorted...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Luv2ride wrote:

No but would love to know. The Betfair ad just covered half of the thread I was trying to use. The site is becoming unusable on my iPad, the site owners need to get it sorted out. The jumping about is terrible too, you go to press a button and it jumps leaving you pressing something else :twisted:
  • declan1
    Luv2ride wrote:

Only if you jailbreak it - built in apps do not allow plugins/addons. There are many browsers available on the app store that provide ad-blocking though.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    My solution took approximately 10 seconds to implement, I haven't had a single ad on my iPad since and I have had no side effects
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    VTech wrote:
    Out of interest, what does it cost to run a forum like this ?
    How about you and I go halves on the, I would guess, 250 quid annual hosting fee this forum must "cost" (and perhaps "future" publishing is so past it that its never heard of the concept of a loss leader. )
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Dear Bikeradar bosses.

I will pay £10 per year to not have adverts. Would that work?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Gawd it's absolutely drea
    hat I can only see half of
    ng stupid advert for bett

ther coming here as ofte